• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Price for services?

I was just going through my receipt files and noticed My Local Acura Dealership charged me:

$650 to replace valve cover gaskets/seals
$165 oil pan gaskets
$110 Engine oil pump housing O rings
$1100 Timing belt/waterpump/drive belts
$150 for Front chin spoiler

all services are parts and labor.
Are these within reasons?

advices highly appreciated.

thanks...

Your dealer overcharged on the Valve Cover Gasket/Seals Job. The Valve Cover Gaskets are just $17 list each, and if they did the cam seals, should not be that expensive. At the rate they charged you, $650 parts labor would be for like a 7-8 hour job. Should be more like a 1-2 hour Job($175-$300 Parts Labor).

Originally posted by spartan2-3:
I was just going through my receipt files and noticed My Local Acura Dealership charged me:

$650 to replace valve cover gaskets/seals
$165 oil pan gaskets
$110 Engine oil pump housing O rings
$1100 Timing belt/waterpump/drive belts
$150 for Front chin spoiler

all services are parts and labor.
Are these within reasons?

advices highly appreciated.

thanks...

[This message has been edited by ACR_Motorsports (edited 20 April 2002).]

i just paid 195 for changing my oil pan gasket (he did remove a large dent in the pan as well and inspected any internal damage from that dent).

i had a bit of work done last week which consisted of:

1.oil pan gasket and removal of dent
2. all 4 cv boots
3. clutch master cylinder
4. coolant system purge and refill
5. airconditioner R-134 conversion and fill
6. oil change (synthetic)

i had all of the parts except for 2 cv boots, the oil and filter, the coolant and the freon.

the bill came to 1,350 after tax.

my advice would be to call around to various dealers in your area (if you have that luxury) you may find a large variance in cost. case in point, one dealer near me which resides in a more affluent area quoted me prices on parts that were 4x higher than the prices i paid at another dealer. service was higher as well.
do a little research.

good luck.

Thanks for the feedback ACR Motor, Pixelhaus.

Im definately going back to the dealer and see what they have to say. $650 does sound high for gaskets.

Pixelhaus that was a good price for the amount of work they did including the bent oil pan. good job =) I will definately do my homework next time.

thanks guys...

Pixelhaus, where did you have the work done? Were you pleased, do they seem competent? I'm in Stamford, and only viable dealer option is Greenwich. They're good, but expensive. Always looking for alternatives.

Check your receipts carefully - the $650 sounds like a valve adjustment. When this is done the only parts replaced are the valve cover gaskets - the rest is labor. I really think this is what you were charged for.

Of course this raises another issue - if an owner cannot distinguish between a valve adjustment and a gasket change ....

Guys,

Before concluding an overcharge for "Valve Cover Gaskets" you need to understand exactly what was done. If all cam seals, front and back (cam plugs) were done, this means R&Ring the cams, that means full reassembly and complete valve adjustment. If you have done this job, you know it is not trivial. Although the price may be a little high, if that is what was done, maybe including the spool valves gaskets too, it is not really that high.

Believe me, I am not in anyway defending the dealer, just want to be sure we know what we think the overcharge was for.

The fact remains that the NSX is not the cheapest when it comes to service items, but... you don't need to do it that often!! At a grand total of $2175, you should be able to drive the car for the next 2-3 years with oil changes only, not too bad IMO.

The other issue is was it done right, the first time. It appears so, case closed. Startan2-3, I would say, don't loose sleep over it, enjoy the car:).

My $02,
LarryB

Back