• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pride header misc. questions

I'm mid-install on a set of new Pride headers. I've found some write-ups that appear helpful but contain broken links that don't help. So, here goes my short list of questions:

-For the front bank header I gather I need to drop the Front Beam of the rear sub-frame? It looks like there are some small Center Rods, a central motor mount, and some bolts at the sides. Is removing all this enough to be able to tilt in and get the extra clearance I need, or do I also need to loosen more bolts towards the rear of the subframe? Even with everything listed above removed, it looks like it will still be sandwiched in place.

-Should I put some copper anti-seize on the manifold threads (all bolts came off no problem BTW)?

-The rear bank header fit on fine. But the holes in the header flange are large and the nuts don't all land squarely on the flange (some land partway on the flange and then overlap a bit of the hole). I was planning to put some SS washers on before the nut to help distribute the force--I assume this isn't a bad plan?

Finally, as a note for others in the future, I bought a set of $100 Mahle metal gaskets prior to this job. With everything apart I could tell that the exhaust ports in the Pride header were larger than the stock header, such that they won't properly crush the raised portion of the gaskets to form a good seal. So, I've elected to used the gaskets Pride supplied.

Thanks,
Sasha

It may be possible to do the front header by tilting the front beam, but honestly, it's much easier just to get that thing out of the way. The only connections are the subframe bolts at the far ends of the beam and the front motor mount bolt. When re-installing, you'll need to find a way to fix the motor mount nut to the beam so that you can thread in the bolt. I learned long ago from LarryB to use some masking tape to hold it in place. Works well.

I always use copper anti-seize on the nuts and studs. They don't always come off easy and this ensures that never happens.

You should not need to use washers, but it won't hurt anything as long as you have an even clamping force across the flange.

Thanks @Honcho! Some beautiful weather here in NC, just hoping for a little garage time....

Back