• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Production Body Spied @ the 'Ring

2015 Honda/Acura NSX Spied @ the Nürburgring Ring Hiding Production Body
13666543951468705723.jpg

The highly anticipated 2015 Honda/Acura NSX has been spied undergoing final testing in Germany around the Nürburgring circuit.

214053884357502124.jpg

Honda has been relatively quiet lately about the long-awaited NSX revival but now we have a fresh batch of spy photos with a camouflaged prototype testing at the 'Ring, ahead of a full reveal likely to occur before the end of the year since the company has already announced plans to begin production in 2015 at a newly established Performance Manufacturing Center in Ohio where they are investing 70M USD. As a reminder, the 2015 NSX is being developed by Honda R&D Americas in Raymond, Ohio.

887137271471880970.jpg

The car appears to look virtually the same as the Acura NSX concept shown at last year's NAIAS in Detroit which itself was a minor revision of a concept exhibited a year earlier at the same venue. It will make use of a 3-motor high-performance hybrid system encompassing 2 electric motors driving the front wheels along with a 3rd motor built into an all-new dual-clutch transmission while a mid-mounted V6 engine will power the rear axle.

544712781611518142.jpg

Honda has labeled this system as Sport Hybrid Super Handling All Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) and they say it will be capable to provide the NSX reboot with "instant delivery of negative or positive torque to the front wheels during cornering to achieve a new level of driving performance unparalleled by current AWD systems."

Finally something interresting!

- Im not certain but it looks like the integrated wing is back!
- center exhaust?
- theres something about the backend, i think we are in for a surprise when the car is revealed. The long tail is back?
- looks like theres some kind of vent behind the front wheels.
- i dont like the headlamp details. I was hoping Honda was going the jewel eye route.

Any video? The paparazzi have taken a bunch of pics and video of the GT350 Mustang recently at the ring. Someone has to have caught video of the NSX...

I am sure a video will crop up. Looks like they sorted the issues from the crash in Hokkaido. Glad to see the car back on track (no pun intended) :)

Finally something interresting!

Finally ...

- Im not certain but it looks like the integrated wing is back!

Yes! Nice touch!

- center exhaust?

It seems to be the case ...

- theres something about the backend, i think we are in for a surprise when the car is revealed. The long tail is back?

Would like it but this is a very short backend ...

- looks like theres some kind of vent behind the front wheels.

Not sure, you mean near the top? But side vents are definately bigger and larger and I like the way it changes the door profile. More deepness. I just hope it's for extra cooling ... from extra engine power !!!

- i dont like the headlamp details. I was hoping Honda was going the jewel eye route.

Yes, the prototype headlamps were very nice yet aggresive ...

That seemed granny pace.

It sounds like crap. About equal to the new bland beemers. I suppose they still don't understand what a supercar is after all these years...

It sounds like crap. About equal to the new bland beemers. I suppose they still don't understand what a supercar is after all these years...

Don't worry, they will just inject some additional "engine" sound into the cabin with the audio system...

Front end looks like a grocery getter. Back is alright but the side scoop is a little much. A combination of not enough and too much.

useless vents in the front :(

Perhaps Honda is listening?! Many of us have voiced our desired for a larger side scoop and longer integrated rear spoiler before. Just look at my old renderings of the proposed homage to the original:

NSXEvoComparo_zpsfbe581bb.jpg

On the side note, the roof line looks like it grew some =( I hope it's just the unflattering close angle lens that makes the new prototype look more bulbous...

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think they were really pushing the car to hear the exhaust well enough. I agree with the exotic/supercar sound requirement. Either way, turbo cars are generally really quiet tho. A more free flowing/Catless exhaust should change things and introduce turbo spool into the equation!

I've always loved your rendering with the visible B pillar (yellow car below). Pays homage to the original NSX. You could even add a semblance of the original wing in there.
Perhaps Honda is listening?! Many of us have voiced our desired for a larger side scoop and longer integrated rear spoiler before. Just look at my old renderings of the proposed homage to the original:

NSXEvoComparo_zpsfbe581bb.jpg

On the side note, the roof line looks like it grew some =( I hope it's just the unflattering close angle lens that makes the new prototype look more bulbous...

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think they were really pushing the car to hear the exhaust well enough. I agree with the exotic/supercar sound requirement. Either way, turbo cars are generally really quiet tho. A more free flowing/Catless exhaust should change things and introduce turbo spool into the equation!

I've always loved your rendering with the visible B pillar (yellow car below). Pays homage to the original NSX. You could even add a semblance of the original wing in there.

Thanks RYU. The B Pillar would be a serious homage, but perhaps too radical for Honda. I'm enjoying the evolution of the new NSX though. Very excited now! :biggrin:

I appreciate any enthusiasm some may have for this car, but I'm setting my expectations really low. I believe they did an excellent job with the interior, and the drivetrain looks promising. However, it's immature wedgy appearance has really aged for me in just 2 years, and it doesn't even approach the finesse and sex appeal of a 650s (I really don't like), yet alone a 458 speciale. '400hp+' from the gasoline engine alone is not enough either, and by the time it arrives in showrooms, it will have to contend with the likes of the R36 GTR and the turbocharged v8 successor to the Italia, in addition to the already insane crowd of supersports cars. Now I know that it's an "Acura", and maybe I should be comparing it to a 911 or Cayman, but if you're going to build a supercar, it is utterly pointless to create something mediocre. I should mention that I often can't stand the Italian crowd, but if I had to spend $250k on an Italia or $150k on the "NSX" +$100k cash in my pocket today, I'd take the Ferrari any day, unless drastic improvements are made.

-Center exhaust
-Moved hood louvres from outer edges of lower windshield
-Scoop in mid-door starting at lower edge of much sharpened side scoop
-Double headlamps instead of wrap-around "jeweled" look
-Turn signals in rounder door mirrors
-Rear tow hook (probably for loading prototype onto truck transport)
-Different front/rear rims (rear much nicer)
-Front "beak" looks softer/rounded
-Brake vent above front wheel fender
-Where's the gas cap?

Looks better than earlier designs. I'd actually consider this if they skip the "jewel" headlights. Agree the soundtrack will decide it for me. Not feeling the BMW or golf cart soundtrack.

Here is a better vid(that Supra at 1:05....................LOL)<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FfB5eHO1nq4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Better looking than before, but it's still ugly in especially the face. And still no NSX anywhere in there.

Umm... I think it looks great! It's on par with most modern exotics like the R8 and IMO it looks ages better than the R35 or the Vette (sorry, too many plastic bits, vents...).

It's strange that the sound is absent but the car is going pretty slow, any chance they just may have been testing its electric motors?

Back