• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prospective owner question: Is the NSX too rare/valuable now to drive and enjoy?

Hi all,

Long time lurker here. So like many car enthusiasts of a certain age, I grew up admiring the NSX but only recently have the finances to afford one. Still kicking myself for not picking one up when they were ~$30k. I will likely get a 97-01 model, but wanted to see if the sharp rise in values and general rarity of the vehicle has affected current owners' driving/enjoyment of the car.

Considering that even high mileage examples seem to start in the $55k range, is the NSX still a car that people regularly drive, modify and enjoy or has the "investment" mentality turned most of them into BaT-ready garage queens? Is there still a vibrant NSX owners community? For those that bought your cars when they could be had from $25-40k, do you think the experience is worth $55-85k+ today?

I've spent a lot of time reading through past threads and it seems that many of the old shops, custom parts and user-fixes seem to be drying up along with forum participation (for example I wish stuff like the Huga-buga window kit and ARC-light led's were still available!). To be honest I was initially considering some sort of 911, but I want to believe there's something intangible about the NSX that can't be duplicated by Porsche even. I actually haven't been able to test drive one yet and the last time I even saw one on the road was maybe 2 years ago haha, but it really stuck with me (red NA1, gold advans). Not sure how many people are still active in this forum but I welcome any thoughts or comments. Thanks!

Last edited:
The community is still alive and well. Yes Forum participation isn't what it was 11 years ago when you first joined but it is slowly starting to come back as more and more new owners get into these cars and need the information here. A lot of shops and NSX Guru's have retired but there are a lot of owners that have found independent shops that can still handle major tasks they don't want to tackle in their garages.

I can't speak to the "is it worth the $85k" experience but my NSX experience and ownership has lived up to the hype and still puts a huge smile on my face every time I turn the key. I think a lot of owners that don't drive their cars often are cashing in on the current up tick in value but there are still several owners who vow to never sell their cars. Add to that the NSX community is one of the best car community/families out there and I think the ownership experience is hard to beat.

Certain owner made products from years gone by are in fact no longer produced but new owners have started taking up these mantles and are producing custom parts these days, some as replicas of old parts, some as new designs, etc.

The biggest thing is you NEED to drive one. That is the only way you'll be able to decide if it's the right car for you and if the experience is something Porsche offer to you.

It depends on what you want. Is the NSX worth $80k? Sure it’s a great driving classic car. If you are looking for performance there are much better ways to spend $80k and go fast. You are paying top dollar for a clean well maintained car that’s rare it will hold its value over time. Mine is worth more then double what I payed for it 20 or so years ago. I have it insured for a agreed-upon value. So I drive it without worry, I have modified it over the years the way I want it and don’t regret doing so. I don’t care about resale as it’s not for sale and won’t be. I do keep my insurance up to date on current values just in case.

It’s a fun car to drive. I would suggest driving one before you drop 80k.

If I got something to replace the NSX it would be an R8 ,Cayman S, or New Vette. I did recently pick up an SLC Superlite it’s a basically like a a no frills striped down NSX with a mid mounted LS7 and Porsche 6 speed. Soon as the NY roads clear up I will get it on the road.

But to answer your question it’s definitely not to rare or to valuable to enjoy. What’s the point of having it if you are not going to enjoy it.

Last edited:
It is becoming classic/antique....it is very well put together..but it will take legwork and your time to educate yourself to keep it on the road. Mostly due to dwindling parts and expert service techs "aging out"...I think it is best summed up by being a very engaging analog driving experience. Fantastic view of the road ahead.

2 Months ago I celebrated 10 years of ownership. I don't plan on ever selling the car and I don't see it as an investment so it all boils down to owner perspective. I modify it as if it a were honda civic (hence my handle) and enjoy driving it. Cruises with the local community whether through some twisties to grab lunch, long 12 hr canyon carving up to Yosemite from So Cal (thanks [MENTION=23511]RedWings[/MENTION]) , or 3 hours on the I-15 to Vegas (thanks [MENTION=24308]LMR[/MENTION]) are all memories and experiences that are priceless.

22 years of ownership, 179,000 miles with 117 track days and over 15,000 track miles.

Drive it or spend the 55k on a casket to be buried in.

Enjoy life.....

(for example I wish stuff like the Huga-buga window kit and ARC-light led's were still available!).

FYI, the Hugo window kit is still available. I ordered mine late last year. Due to Covid, it took awhile to arrive, but the important part is that it is still available.

As @DRIFTER mentioned, you need to drive one. You mentioned about a 911. I have driven a Carrera 2 from the same era and they have a different driving experience. So, it depends on what you are looking for.

In regards to "is it worth it", that is a tough question is answer. Basically it is a high cost car that is old. So, unlike a modern newer car of the same price (with a warranty), you will have old car issues (worn parts, dried seals, etc) Naturally, this applies to garage queens too.

Depending on your region, there are still speciality shops that still work on our cars. In light of the popularity of the car, there are also shops who are learning the trade to continue the support.

In regards to purchasing replacement parts, that can be challenging. Thankfully, we have shops overseas (Japan and Australia) that can help support our needs. You can still get parts State side, but you might have to wait or hunt around. Prices for parts can be cheap while others have what we call "nsx-tax". For example, if your heart is set out for a 97-01, be sure to check the targa top seals because they can be expensive.

Now that we are in the modern era, people are even 3D printing replacement parts.

Last edited:
>For those that bought your cars when they could be had from $25-40k, do you think the experience is worth $55-85k+ today?

Yes, because the actual buying power of money (at least for a non commodity) is worth half as much.... despite the official line that there is no inflation.

The community is still alive and well. Yes Forum participation isn't what it was 11 years ago when you first joined but it is slowly starting to come back as more and more new owners get into these cars and need the information here. A lot of shops and NSX Guru's have retired but there are a lot of owners that have found independent shops that can still handle major tasks they don't want to tackle in their garages.

I can't speak to the "is it worth the $85k" experience but my NSX experience and ownership has lived up to the hype and still puts a huge smile on my face every time I turn the key. I think a lot of owners that don't drive their cars often are cashing in on the current up tick in value but there are still several owners who vow to never sell their cars. Add to that the NSX community is one of the best car community/families out there and I think the ownership experience is hard to beat.

Certain owner made products from years gone by are in fact no longer produced but new owners have started taking up these mantles and are producing custom parts these days, some as replicas of old parts, some as new designs, etc.

The biggest thing is you NEED to drive one. That is the only way you'll be able to decide if it's the right car for you and if the experience is something Porsche offer to you.

Absolutely will drive before buying. And to be fair I likely have a limited view of the community, since I'm not actually in it and rely on perceptions online or at local car meets.

It depends on what you want. Is the NSX worth $80k? Sure it’s a great driving classic car. If you are looking for performance there are much better ways to spend $80k and go fast. You are paying top dollar for a clean well maintained car that’s rare it will hold its value over time. Mine is worth more then double what I payed for it 20 or so years ago. I have it insured for a agreed-upon value. So I drive it without worry, I have modified it over the years the way I want it and don’t regret doing so. I don’t care about resale as it’s not for sale and won’t be. I do keep my insurance up to date on current values just in case.

It is becoming classic/antique....it is very well put together..but it will take legwork and your time to educate yourself to keep it on the road. Mostly due to dwindling parts and expert service techs "aging out"...I think it is best summed up by being a very engaging analog driving experience. Fantastic view of the road ahead.

Yeah I don't expect it to be at the cutting edge of modern speed and performance, if I was a "bang-for-buck" stats guy I'd probably already have a Z06 or R35 GTR and be done with it. I enjoy an analog and involved driving experience more than anything so that's encouraging to hear. Will definitely make sure it's properly insured!

2 Months ago I celebrated 10 years of ownership. I don't plan on ever selling the car and I don't see it as an investment so it all boils down to owner perspective. I modify it as if it a were honda civic (hence my handle) and enjoy driving it. Cruises with the local community whether through some twisties to grab lunch, long 12 hr canyon carving up to Yosemite from So Cal (thanks @RedWings) , or 3 hours on the I-15 to Vegas (thanks @LMR) are all memories and experiences that are priceless.

22 years of ownership, 179,000 miles with 117 track days and over 15,000 track miles.

Drive it or spend the 55k on a casket to be buried in.

Enjoy life.....

That's awesome, love to hear that these cars are being driven and owned for many years.

Thanks for the responses everyone I'm actually surprised to get so much feedback so quickly, glad to be proven wrong about the decline in community. I will say that basically every NSX owner I've talked to previously and during my sale inquiries seem like knowledgeable, mature, good people. That's pretty rare among most car enthusiast groups. Hope to count myself among ya'll sooner rather than later!

FYI, the Hugo window kit is still available. I ordered mine late last year. Due to Covid, it took awhile to arrive, but the important part is that it is still available.

As @DRIFTER mentioned, you need to drive one. You mentioned about a 911. I have driven a Carrera 2 from the same era and they have a different driving experience. So, it depends on what you are looking for.

In regards to "is it worth it", that is a tough question is answer. Basically it is a high cost car that is old. So, unlike a modern newer car of the same price (with a warranty), you will have old car issues (worn parts, dried seals, etc) Naturally, this applies to garage queens too.

Depending on your region, there are still speciality shops that still work on our cars. In light of the popularity of the car, there are also shops who are learning the trade to continue the support.

In regards to purchasing replacement parts, that can be challenging. Thankfully, we have shops overseas (Japan and Australia) that can help support our needs. You can still get parts State side, but you might have to wait or hunt around. Prices for parts can be cheap while others have what we call "nsx-tax". For example, if your heart is set out for a 97-01, be sure to check the targa top seals because they can be expensive.

Now that we are in the modern era, people are even 3D printing replacement parts.

Ah ok good to know I'll look into the window kit if/when I get an NSX thanks for the heads up! Something about how common 911's (and caymans) are dampens the appeal a tiny bit, tho that helps with readily available servicing/parts. Considered a 997.2 or possibly 981 Cayman S also, but IMO neither look as good as the NSX. I could go either way about the rear engine 911 feel, wasn't immediately hooked but they are highly responsive cars and will perform far above my abilities. I have a comfortable, reliable daily driver so I'd like something a little special and engaging for the fun weekend car.

>For those that bought your cars when they could be had from $25-40k, do you think the experience is worth $55-85k+ today?

Yes, because the actual buying power of money (at least for a non commodity) is worth half as much.... despite the official line that there is no inflation.

Good point! Knew I should've paid more attention in econ...

Last edited:
in the past 12 months me and my family have grown our NSX collection from just 1 to 3. My father (1991 red 95k miles) wants his to be as astetically stock as possible, despite wheels, BBK, and engine mods. My mother's NSX (1994 green 105k miles) is similar but more of a "OEM+" approach, NSXR spoiler and CF lip + engine mods and some interior upgrades. Mine (1992 yellow 35k miles) will be modded to how our first NSX was, Almost everything touched and changed with something different all while keeping the OEM parts incase i ever want to let her go... i wont. I drive mine the most, using it almost as a daily driver putting 10k miles on the car within the first 12 months of ownership. My mother and father drive theirs sparingly, not because of the values but more for the weekend drive. None of us plan on selling them so as i say "Why save your car's miles for the next owner? thats like not having sex with your S/O saving them for the next guy" LOL.

I believe these are the questions you can only answer at the end of the day.

Is it worth $50K, $80K, $100K+? Some buyers would want the newest / the fastest out there for that kind of money. Others may evaluate other intangible items, and may not care as much about statistics. NSXs are not the only cars that have experienced pricing appreciation. Cars from the similar era such as Supras, RX-7s, and water cooled Porsche 964s and 993s also have experienced continued pricing increase similar to NSXs.

To me, buying a sports car is very much an emotional decision. None of my family members and friends understand why I paid so much for a car that is 20+ years old when I could have bought something else. However, I just love my NSX. And owning it and driving it makes me happy. I drive it every chance I have, and losing value doesn't worry me. I used to sweat over dings/dents/scratches..., but that's not living. And these are fixable.

I bought it to enjoy it, not to invest in it. I believe there are better investments like stocks and rental properties than cars.

Welcome to NSX Prime! I would echo the sentiments here and add a couple thoughts:

No NSX except for maybe the super limited editions (Zanardi, NA2 coupe) is so valuable that you might consider storing it instead of driving it. And, even in those cases, I'm not fully convinced it makes sense financially. From a fully dispassionate point of view, Honda made too many NSXs for them ever to be considered serious investment-grade cars. There are better, more lucrative places to park your money, in my opinion.

That said, the cars have gone up in value over the years. A good way to capture that value is to use an agreed-value insurance policy, so if you wreck, you recover your investment and some appreciation. You can't really do that with a Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder, which IS a serious investment grade car, as the premiums would be enormous and the loss of the car would be irreplaceable.

Try to drive a coupe AND a targa before making your decision. All of them will need work at this point in their life. The difference between a 2005 and a 1991 is much less significant in this respect than it was 10 years ago.

Most owners drive their NSXs quite often. Honda wanted us to drive and use these cars. Despite being a Honda, they are all classic cars now. If you want a similar "feel" without the classic car baggage, you should consider the NC1 NSX.

Hello,

Recently joined and I’m researching the idea of my next sports car being a NSX.

We have to remember that when brand new, they cost around $60-90k. There seems to be great condition cars in that price range currently.

For some who didn’t have that of money when these were first released, it’s almost like a 2nd chance to live the dream.

I’ve slowly realized that a super low mileage example doesn’t appeal to me, because I will want to drive it. Plus the fact a car that hasn’t been driven much will have its own issues. Sure it’s cool to see collector’s grade example sell for mega bucks.

As Honcho mentioned, making sure your ins company agrees on a set value will make you feel at ease when driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion, the experience of nsx-ing is priceless. It is raw and has the timeless design.

The appreciation is also a plus for the owners. Lately, the closest thing that I want to add to my garage is Porsche GT4 (first gen) where I believe its driving dynamic will be similar or more with update technology minus the maintenance cost.

Again, I agree with others here, sport car might not be a good investment. It is just something that we enjoy while we are still breathing.

Last edited:
I'd echo and elaborate Honchos statement, drive more than one NSX model before deciding on what to do. An NSX's life, use and maintenance history can make one car to another considerably different in how they communicate its potential driving experience. Drive a couple really GOOD well maintained original examples and properly ($$) modified ones as baselines. You can't pick a good one, or really compare to other cars if you dont' know what you should expect from an NSX experience.

I bought mine with miles so I could drive without guilt. Bought with 59k miles, now have 87k miles in almos 5 1/2 years. I drive the piss out of mine and don't care about the value. I love my car. Just buy and enjoy. That is all

That was an excellent first post and I know you realize this forum is as special as the car.

The 97 to 01's are a sweet spot (I'm a fan of the original pop up design) and if money was no object would have a coupe in that age range.

I suggest you find local owners who may give you the opportunity to experience the car in it's different forms before making a buying decision.

I can't tell you if the experience is worth the current cost of the cars today, they're like beachfront property, they're not making anymore of it.

Best of luck and enjoy the hunt.

Very much appreciate the feedback everybody, man I should've started posting here sooner! Salient points on cars as investments. It's cool to see that current owners here continue to believe that the NSX should be driven. I would test drive every NSX I could if given the chance, but it's hard enough to even see one in the wild let alone convince someone to let me drive theirs haha.

I'm leaning toward the 97-01 since I love the pop-up headlight styling but also like the idea of the 6spd trans and low-speed EPS. I assume the stiffer coupe chassis and lighter weight would be nice but having the targa option is fine too as I don't have plans to really track the car and wouldn't extract 100% of its potential of it anyway.

If you are in or near the Sacramento area id love to give you / let you drive my NSX :encouragement:

Thanks for the generous offer! Unfortunately I'm pretty far from Sacramento... North Carolina around Raleigh.

Last edited:
Wow so there is! I'll have to drop by whether I have an NSX by then or not.

If you will attend the the Mideast NSX Meet and you will be still on a fence to buy or not, I'll let you drive my 97 NSX with 200+ K miles. To have an NSX is great , but people you meet and places you visit on the way is priceless.

I'm leaning toward the 97-01 since I love the pop-up headlight styling but also like the idea of the 6spd trans and low-speed EPS. I assume the stiffer coupe chassis and lighter weight would be nice but having the targa option is fine too as I don't have plans to really track the car and wouldn't extract 100% of its potential of it anyway.

There are generally two types of owners that gravitate to the coupes: (1) track-focused for the extra chassis performance (it does make a difference- even on the NSX); and (2) budget/mod-focused. I've noticed the second group becoming less relevant over the years, mostly because the prices have gone up. Even a high mile 91 is going for $50k+ these days. If you don't fall into those groups, I'd say the 97-01 6-speeds are the car for you. Everyone loves the targa (though set aside $2k for the seals) and on a nice day it really makes the car just wonderful. And, the 6-speed is a big improvement, especially over the US-geared 5-speed. Based on the numbers, it shouldn't be, but somehow it is when you drive it. Finally, the extra torque from the 3.2 is noticeable and makes the car feel quicker all-around.

Still, you should try to drive as many of the different versions (as close to stock as possible) to really know for sure. The May Mideast meet Spencer referenced is a great opportunity. The neat thing about the NSX is that all of the versions simply ooze that "NSX" special feeling, even the automatics. This is a really awesome car community- especially here on the forum, which has a different vibe than the Facebook groups. You've found a good home here and just wait until we upgrade the forum software- it's gonna be even better! :D

Last edited:
I got my 2002 in 2005 when it still had its warranty - I am amazed every time I drive it - no plan to ever sell - it's like having a leaf blower on your back - perfect fit and control, strapped in with amazing visibility. Acura dealerships may be the place to go, I've had good experiences with my local one.

DRIFTER! I've been reading up on the SLC for over a year - blogs everything - I am in North Jersey - I'd love to stop by this Summer when everything clears up and see it. Mainly I was determining if I'm actually the type of person that should build one. Of course I'll bring the NSX - here and there I go to Lime Rock just to smell burning brakes and have a hot dog too.

If I got something to replace the NSX it would be an R8 ,Cayman S, or New Vette. I did recently pick up an SLC Superlite it’s a basically like a a no frills striped down NSX with a mid mounted LS7 and Porsche 6 speed. Soon as the NY roads clear up I will get it on the road.

But to answer your question it’s definitely not to rare or to valuable to enjoy. What’s the point of having it if you are not going to enjoy it.

Back