• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Purchasing a 51k mile 91. NEED ADVICE!

Any Primer live close to Hartford?

I live in Cali and I recently found a nicely kept low mile NSX on the other Side of the coast. Car looks good and clean but when I pull out the carfax, there is no single record after 06. There is no much maintenance done after that but barely driven too. What Do u guys say?
Can anyone check out this car for me? or know anything about this car? Thx in advance! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
There is another deal I got: 125k mile 93 for high 20ish k with all maintenance done on time with record and second owner! How would u guys compare.
Low mile or High mile, which should I should go with. I'm gonna daily it but leaving the state in 3 years. Looking for your awesome primer's enlightenment!

imagejpeg

10686919_1593671347534864_4386072065146747513_n.jpg

Last edited:
I heard if insured as a collectible in some states emissions testing wouldn't be required, which might account for truncated carfax. I'm not 100% sure about this but it's what I heard. Perhaps someone can verify this?

Base on the facts you present, if car checks out I go with the low mileage car

I dont think mileage matters as much as maintenance does. These little demons will do 300k miles if maintained right. And garaged helps alot too. My 92 has 120k but not a spec of rust anywhere. Its benn garaged and never driven in the winter when there is salt on the roads. Not saying never as its a 3 owner car, but i know the last owner didn't.

?? I do not see a pic

just the vin is enough

jh4na1150mt002711
ty

- - - Updated - - -

The Vin is: JH4NA1150MT002711

If u guys know anything about this car plz let me know! especially about the snap ring issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the other high mileage one is not too shabby. 125k,93 model, for 27k grand. car is clean inside out and interior redone. maintenance up to date and 2 owner car.
What do u guys say after all those info.

Cuz I've been waiting kinda long for a right NSX, if I can know a way to check out the Snap Ring issue online, I'll be flying to pick either of one up this weekend :0

Based on the VIN this car was produced when snap-ring transmissions were common. Follow the recommendation of nsxsn. Get the trans serial number and let us know.

Normally I would always try to go with the lower mileage car. But the difference in price could make a difference, especially since you said the one with more than twice the mileage on it has all the maintenance up to date.
You can figure a few more thousand to the price of the lower mileage 51k NSX if it needs the maintenance.
Plus if you're going to drive it daily you might not care about the mileage, since you will be putting mileage on the car, so it might be more reasonable to go with the lower priced car.
All things being equal I would go for the low mileage car, even with the transmission being in the snap ring range.
If you or anybody purchases one in snap ring range, they just need to know the risks and the cost associated in fixing it if it fails. Not all cars in the snap ring range have the problem.

I would guess the higher mileage car will show more wear on the seats, or driver seat & bolsters than the one with 51k on it. Unless they have been redone.

Good luck... enjoy the hunt and keep us posted.

PS. You might be able to use the snap ring as a way to negotiate a better price. But since you are planning to use it as a DD you might not want to worry about it possibly being out of commission if it fails, or if you plan on taking it on long trips.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI: There is a 1992 Berlina Black NSX for sale at Edwards Chevrolet in Council Bluffs, IA with 100k on it. Asking $30k.

VIN JH4NA1155NT000115

The previous owner traded it in for a new C7 Corvette.

I believe it may be listed on eBay as well. I know the owners son who knows the car and can answer questions. He said he would have purchased it had his dad told him he was going to trade it in. He did mentioned it needed a few things, but I didn't ask about any specifics.

If anybody is interested I could pass along his information.

Last edited:
The car with higher mileage acctually had everything cosmetic redone. I've seen the car u mentioned on cars.com.
I wonder if we can do the purchase with going through dealership. Thx for the info.

Normally I would always try to go with the lower mileage car. But the difference in price could make a difference, especially since you said the one with more than twice the mileage on it has all the maintenance up to date.
You can figure a few more thousand to the price of the lower mileage 51k NSX if it needs the maintenance.
Plus if you're going to drive it daily you might not care about the mileage, since you will be putting mileage on the car, so it might be more reasonable to go with the lower priced car.
All things being equal I would go for the low mileage car, even with the transmission being in the snap ring range.
If you or anybody purchases one in snap ring range, they just need to know the risks and the cost associated in fixing it if it fails. Not all cars in the snap ring range have the problem.

I would guess the higher mileage car will show more wear on the seats, or driver seat & bolsters than the one with 51k on it. Unless they have been redone.

Good luck... enjoy the hunt and keep us posted.

PS. You might be able to use the snap ring as a way to negotiate a better price. But since you are planning to use it as a DD you might not want to worry about it possibly being out of commission if it fails, or if you plan on taking it on long trips.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI: There is a 1992 Berlina Black NSX for sale at Edwards Chevrolet in Council Bluffs, IA with 100k on it. Asking $30k.

VIN JH4NA1155NT000115

The previous owner traded it in for a new C7 Corvette.

I believe it may be listed on eBay as well. I know the owners son who knows the car and can answer questions. He said he would have purchased it had his dad told him he was going to trade it in. He did mentioned it needed a few things, but I didn't ask about any specifics.

If anybody is interested I could pass along his information.

Back