• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question from a prospective buyer

I've been interested in the NSX for years and am now seriously considering buying one. It's apparent from the resale prices I've seen that the NSX holds its value quite well. I'm most curious about the 1999 Zanardi special edition of which I believe only 50 were made. What's the opinion(s) of this group about this vehicle? How about from a future value retention perspective? Would the addition of a Comtech SC decrease the collector value a NSX-Z? I ask because there is a Zanardi edition with a Comtech for sale here locally.

I appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks in advance,
David

[This message has been edited by DavidWA (edited 06 June 2001).]

I think there were at least 51 made. #00 was a test mule which was loaned to many of the car mags. #01 supposedly went to Zanardi and #'s 02-50 went to selected Acura dealers.

It appears that Acura had some trouble selling them, so I don't think there's huge collector interest in the car - accordingly, I don't think that paying a large premium for one would be wise from an investment standpoint.

Fundamentally, it's not that different from a late model coupe - the most notable differences from a driver's perspective is the firmer suspension (nominally lowered too) and the lack of power steering. Other changes are mostly cosmetic with some minor (relative to other coupes) weight reduction as well.

If it's reasonably priced, I'd recommend it.

--twc

Originally posted by DavidWA:
What's the opinion(s) of this group about this vehicle?
I think you'll find it very high. If you're looking for a version more oriented for the track this is a good place to start. I haven't riden in one but have heard the ride can be a little stiff for around town. Probably more personal preference though than anything. The roads around Portland are so bad I think a NSX-Z may need to come with a kidney belt.
biggrin.gif

How about from a future value retention perspective? Would the addition of a Comtech SC decrease the collector value a NSX-Z? I ask because there is a Zanardi edition with a Comtech for sale here locally.

I think this depends on the prospective of the potential buyer. Some people have them because they "collect" cars. For them it's real important that it's all original.

For other people like Number9 (who I would contact BTW - #9 Z car) it's more about getting an NSX pre-setup. Having the SC already installed would be a great addition if that's the performance mod desired.

I hope that helps and if you pick it up we'll look for you at the local events!

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

Not sure what the asking price is, but the supercharger with the cost of install is somewhere in the neighborhood of $11,000/12,000. If the seller is not asking any premium for this cost, it could be a good value if you are intersted in the added power of the supercharger. If you do get it, you will have a very impressive exotic car with equally impressive horsepower. I believe that as long as it is a comptech unit, the warranty is still valid too.

Hi David -- if you are refering to the SC Zanardi NSX at Park Place in Bellevue, private me, I can fill you in on some info.

In my experience, the SC always ups the value of an NSX on the short term. As far as collectors value in the long term (ie 10-20+ years, I dunno).

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

Thank you to all that replied. This was my first post here and I received wonderful input from everyone including a current NSX-Z owner, a local person who knows a bit about the history of the car in question, and others who added valuable general insight into the NSX which I lack. I'm going to be careful in the decision I make as I want to buy the NSX that is right for me (it appears I'm still figuring out just what that is).

Again, thank you to all for your input, and if you don't mind, I'll probably be back with more questions,

David

[This message has been edited by DavidWA (edited 07 June 2001).]

Back