• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question: Is running 20 / 19" on NSX Baddd?

Is there any member running 20's in back and 19's up front? My question is will this setup have any detrimental affects to the ride, etc?

I know it will slow the car down a bit but that noticeable?

My problem is after hunting for rims for a while now, the ones I really like from Work are only available in 19's and 20's...?

Suggestions?

rick

It can be done. A few people have done it, but width and offset become extremely important.

Personally, I think the 19/20" look is a bit too big for our cars and it only looks somewhat ok if the car is slammed to the ground.

Which Work wheels were you looking at?

Rick,
It's your NSX. Do what makes you happy. Personally I think you will hurt the performance of your NSX w/ a rear wheel and tire that is 20". Better get the high boost kit CTSC if you do. :wink:

A few people have done it
I am not aware of anyone who has done it on an NSX without a widebody kit. If anyone has, I would love to hear what size 19" tire they use in the front, as I'm pretty sure there isn't a 19" size available that won't rub.

I am not aware of anyone who has done it on an NSX without a widebody kit. If anyone has, I would love to hear what size 19" tire they use in the front, as I'm pretty sure there isn't a 19" size available that won't rub.

19x8.5 and 20x10
215 35 19 front and 275 30 20 rear
dropped about 3" on Tein RA coilovers, yes they were big (last years setup)

Front and rear liners removed, little to no rub period unless I would have hit a large bump at full lock up front, which never happened.

1.jpg

Sorry but I don't like it. :frown: it makes it look like a hot wheel. I even think 18/19 are too big. 17/18 is perfect!:wink:

I have the nogaros too in 19/20 ,I've had zenetti and a set of asantis too the off set is extremely important as is the actual brand and model of tire (they all vary in actual measurements even though they may be the same "size" the front is critical , but after going through three sets of 19/20s I have a set I can live with , I'm only using them for "show" purposes ,and the occasional cruise, I have volk 18/19s (two sets) for more serious driving .
stacy's old car (now maximumyield's ) has had 19/20s for a long time, just to name one , he's running pzero nero (a very small tire , size for size) and if you are lucky/smart , you may only have very minor rubbing @ full lock (I've seen nsx's rub in the front with a stock 16" front wheel and a 225 tire) I've also seen people pound the wheel wells (namely the pinch weld) to prevent rubbing! I'd do this in a second on a civic , maybe leery about doing it on an nsx, but if you are not worried about it , it is an option, so all this being said, from what I have learned , you need a 10" rear wheel , no more than 42 offset, and a 285/25/20 - in front you need a 8" wheel no more than 40 offset , and a 215/35/19 , get a p zero nero or toyo t1s (discontinued in north america ,I got mine from england... pita) or possibly falken st-115 measure the acual tire and get a narrow one ,
OR JUST GET 18/19!!!:smile:

Front and rear liners removed
Removing the wheel well liners is a really bad idea. That allows small stones to be kicked up by the tires onto the underside of the fenders, causing small "reverse dents" to appear.

Also, those huge rear tires will really sap the acceleration of your car. It's like putting a substantially taller final drive (ring and pinion) gear onto your car - exactly the reverse of what many owners do when getting shorter gearing for performance.

The liners are there for a reason and I run them on my car with the 19s on the front (it rubs a bit ,so what!) - others choose not to , their choice.

As for the rear tires being too tall , they are the EXACT same diameter as a 275/30/19 - (25.6) this is .1 SHORTER THAN THE STOCK TIRE ON A 91-93 NSX!

So if it affects your acceleration maybe it will only be due to an increase in width?

I'm pretty sure anyone buying 19/20 wheels for an nsx isn't exactly concerned with extracting maximum performance from the car but we all know there are tradeoffs in the name of style ( and everyone has their own sense of style, right?)

Removing the wheel well liners is a really bad idea. That allows small stones to be kicked up by the tires onto the underside of the fenders, causing small "reverse dents" to appear.

Also, those huge rear tires will really sap the acceleration of your car. It's like putting a substantially taller final drive (ring and pinion) gear onto your car - exactly the reverse of what many owners do when getting shorter gearing for performance.

I think we should all probably include the fact that these wheels are used only for looks... liners removed without any city/back road driving, and as Angus said, mainly for show/looks purposes :smile:

Aren't all the widebodied cars pulling inner fenders as well?
A good fix is to dynomat the inside tops of the fenders,helps cushion the impacts of rocks.

When I had my car,before selling it to Brent(maximumyield):
I ended up doing short gears and ring gear to balance this out and if you remember I also added a supercharger and nitrous,later changed to a turbo,so the car with the 20's was still plenty quick:tongue: .Ask Brent(maximumyield)I think he put down 509RWHP.He has videos of the thing trying to get traction in a few gears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK88t4OiEDE&feature=related

So yes it will eat up some power..YES...but plan for that with your mods.
Besides how quick do you really need to be on the street!!??

Stacy

PS would do the same tire and wheel combo again in a "heart beat".Love the look and in that video,looks DAMN quick,toooo!!

Last edited:
As for the rear tires being too tall , they are the EXACT same diameter as a 275/30/19 - (25.6) this is .1 SHORTER THAN THE STOCK TIRE ON A 91-93 NSX!
Yeah, whoever did the wiki did a big typo on that.. its not 25.7 for the stock 225/50r16.. its more like 24.7

Yeah, whoever did the wiki did a big typo on that.. its not 25.7 for the stock 225/50r16.. its more like 24.7

HA ! you got me! but 225/50/16 is 24.9 so its less than 3/4 inch total height different , still not bad...

Id sell it and buy a monster truck or Escalade where 19/20s belong.......

man... what are you talking about ??? those things need to have 26s or 30s!!!:tongue:

Rick, Don't do it.

I have plenty of problems with 18/19's. If you want to lower your car and not distroy the fender....don't go 20's. Also it will be massively slower. HUGE slow down when I put HRE18/19's on.

More photos of 19/20 combo? Widebody pictures too.....Come on we know you are out there!!! share your photos!!!!!:biggrin:

running 20's around Chitown with the roads around here? Bent rims? I run 18s and get worried.

It may effect your TSC and speed sensors, gas mileage, tire wear and alignment, steering parts to prematurely fail I could be wrong just my opinion

Back