• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question on Service Manuals

So I wanted to get service manuals for my 05. Thanks to posts here, I found www.helminc.com. I found the 05 supplement which pointed me to the 97 Service Manaual for a complete set.

So I got this stuff today and the 97 manual has flip up head lights in it. Yet the 05 suppliment makes no mention of fixed headlights. Now I'm not looking for info on headlights, I just thought I would use that to check.

Can somebody tell me if I got the right service manual to go with my suppliment?

Thanks in advance.

I purchased my manuals for my 05 from the Acura dealer, which are the two manuals (1997 Service Manual and 2005 Service Manual Supplement) that you purchased. The supplement addresses the maintenance and specifications changes that are pertinent to the 05. You will notice that only in the sketches in the supplement do you see the newer headlight [example].

To find information pertaining to other than maintenance and specifications for the 05 NSX, such as the newer headlight, you would need to obtain the Service Manual Supplement for the year in which that change was made. In this instance, you would need to obtain, I believe, the 2002 Service Manual Supplement. A complete service manual is no longer published each year...the last being 1997. Model year changes are only addressed in a supplement for that year.

I had similar questions and this was the explanation given by the parts manager. In other words, you would need to have a supplement for each year after 1997 wherein a change was made that is current on the 05.

So, yes, you have the correct manuals, but not necessarily all of the supplements.

RARNSX,

Thanks for the complete explination. I do appreacite you taking the time to write that all down. Of course the idea of getting 7 suppliments (98-04) doesn't excit me .. but at least now I know. Thanks.

There is not necessarily one supplement for each year - when there where minor changes they didn't release one in that year (at least that's what I know from the 90s). You should ask Honda/Acura what you will really need.

RARNSX said:
I purchased my manuals for my 05 from the Acura dealer, which are the two manuals (1997 Service Manual and 2005 Service Manual Supplement) that you purchased. The supplement addresses the maintenance and specifications changes that are pertinent to the 05. You will notice that only in the sketches in the supplement do you see the newer headlight [example].

To find information pertaining to other than maintenance and specifications for the 05 NSX, such as the newer headlight, you would need to obtain the Service Manual Supplement for the year in which that change was made. In this instance, you would need to obtain, I believe, the 2002 Service Manual Supplement. A complete service manual is no longer published each year...the last being 1997. Model year changes are only addressed in a supplement for that year.

I had similar questions and this was the explanation given by the parts manager. In other words, you would need to have a supplement for each year after 1997 wherein a change was made that is current on the 05.

So, yes, you have the correct manuals, but not necessarily all of the supplements.
That's the total opposite of my understanding. I thought that each year's supplement contains all changes for that particular year, since the last complete service manual was issued. In other words, I thought all you would need for a 2005 is the 1997 service manual, plus the 2005 supplement - and NOT any of the supplements from intervening years...

Back