• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

questions about my new 2004 nsx

i just got a 2004 nsx and some of the things were replace like the throttle body can someone tell me what that is because i am having the time belt replace and they say that the existing marks don't line up with the new timeing belt. thank you.

Re: 2004 nsx

A throttle body controls the amount of air entering the engine. Do you know why it was replaced? Is it OEM or a larger bore?

Mike

The throttle body is on the driver's side of the engine and the timing belt is on the psgr side. They couldn't be farther apart and have nothing to do with each other. The fact that you bought a car like this and don't know what a throttle body is is not a promising sign. The throttle body is what the big black duct from the air filter box connects to.

Last edited:

The fact that you bought a car like this and don't know what a throttle body is is not a promising sign. The throttle body is what the big black duct from the air filter box connects to.

Really? That is like telling somebody that they shouldn't take a dump because they don't know how the plumbing in a toilet works.

The NSX throttle body looks like this:
bigboretb_450.jpg

And is located close to & connected to the Air Box (the big black box on the bottom left hand side of the picture with)
big002.jpg

070591_NSX_engine2.jpg

Really? That is like telling somebody that they shouldn't take a dump because they don't know how the plumbing in a toilet works.

+1 Haha.. or breathing and not knowing how your lungs work...haha

Last edited:

+1 Haha.. or breathing and not knowing how your lungs work...haha

I know how my lungs work..........and my toilets!!

My point was that based on this post (and looking at some of his others) is that he is not very mechanically inclined or car knowledgeable. Sort of the opposite of most sports/exotic/car guys. I never said he shouldn't do anything. And then I explained how the 2 things he was asking about are on opposite ends of the engine and have no mechanical or functional connection to each other.

And I know how my lungs & toilet work too. :smile:

Last edited:
i just got a 2004 nsx and some of the things were replace like the throttle body can someone tell me what that is because i am having the time belt replace and they say that the existing marks don't line up with the new timeing belt. thank you.

Mono01, can you take a clear photo of your engine and TB?

Mono...welcome to Prime!

You are going to find there are some who check their class at the door when they get behind their keyboard. I have received similar responses from members for questions I have asked in the past. They are rare, but they do occur!

You will find that most Prime members are a great help and, even if the question has been asked before, are willing to help you out. Others will respond, "Use the Search Function" or, "Been asked before." I just don't get these types of responses!

Stay positive and have fun! BTW...I had no idea what the throttle body was either and I have owned three different NSX's in the past three years. I owed six Corvettes before that and still have a C6 Vette, Hummer and Expedition in the garage.

I know how to keep them clean, shiny and looking like new. I leave it to professionals like SOS when they need work. I turn to Prime members such as Larry B. (engine), Shawn110975 (everything) and Pbassjo (body/paint) when I need help. These guys are on top of their game and always willing to help! Other than that, I just love them for what they are...a gorgeous, head-turning car!

Last edited:
hey, some of those toilets are complicated haha. Push a button for freshiner, another to shoot water up your butt, and another to flush. The TB is much less complicated :p

someone need a toilet? :confused:

type_r_XNW_PakWheels(com).jpg

If you need a 4 point, FIA certified harness to strap on while on the pot, you must be doing some serious business!:biggrin:

How do you know the throttle body was replaced? Who have you been talking too?

Last edited:
I feel the need to go sanitize my seat belts after reading the last few posts on this thread.

Oh, and while we're at it.

281272732_fellow_restroom_occupants_y_u_no_wash_hands_xlarge.jpg

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I think we have a communication problem here. The author's grammar is terrible and I think he doesn't understand what has been told to him.

Once the OP gets his grammar straightened out we'll have a better idea of his question. Kapiche!

OP: regarding the timing belt the marks will only match up the first time around. After the engine runs the markings on the belt will not match up (only once every given amount of revolutions) but the marks on the cam gears should still be in sync at each revolution.

As for the throttle body I'm guessing they changed your air filter (which the housing is connected to the throttle body).

I sure hope the OP has a certified NSX tech or one of the recommended shops on this forum working on his car. It kinda sounds like the OP's mechanic is confused or blowing smoke into posterior orifices.

Wow! Sounds like a few of you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. And only last week Shawn was commenting how friendly we had become. For crying out loud, when was good grammar necessary to enjoy a fine sports car? Perhaps we shouldn't allow enthusiasts on the site who can't type more than 50 words per minute. Come on! Let's just welcome him to Prime and help him out. Perhaps, like this....

Hi Mono01,
I'm sure you'll find Primers to be a friendly crowd, more than willing to help you out! From my point of view the timing belt and the throttle body are not related in any way. If the throttle body was replace, it was mostly changed to a bigger one for a moderate power increase. If the timing belt was out of time the engine would perform quite badly. If it idles and accelerates smoothly, you probably have nothing to worry about. Just make sure it is replaced according to the schedule in the owners manual, and you are good to go. Go drive it and enjoy.

Gary

Wow! Sounds like a few of you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. And only last week Shawn was commenting how friendly we had become. For crying out loud, when was good grammar necessary to enjoy a fine sports car? Perhaps we shouldn't allow enthusiasts on the site who can't type more than 50 words per minute. Come on! Let's just welcome him to Prime and help him out...

we are trying to help this person out however it's tough to do when you don't understand what he is asking and if he nose what is being told him by someone who doesnt no what they are talking about, but its ok because not everyone like you nose everything. sea what Im saying. Maybe you no more then me but i cant tipe 50 words per minute to.

Perfectly stated!

Wow! Sounds like a few of you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. And only last week Shawn was commenting how friendly we had become. For crying out loud, when was good grammar necessary to enjoy a fine sports car? Perhaps we shouldn't allow enthusiasts on the site who can't type more than 50 words per minute. Come on! Let's just welcome him to Prime and help him out. Perhaps, like this....

Hi Mono01,
I'm sure you'll find Primers to be a friendly crowd, more than willing to help you out! From my point of view the timing belt and the throttle body are not related in any way. If the throttle body was replace, it was mostly changed to a bigger one for a moderate power increase. If the timing belt was out of time the engine would perform quite badly. If it idles and accelerates smoothly, you probably have nothing to worry about. Just make sure it is replaced according to the schedule in the owners manual, and you are good to go. Go drive it and enjoy.

Gary

OK guys I have kept quiet long enough.
the OP was at my local Ferman Acura I was picking up some parts for my coolant hoses the other week.

he just picked this NSX up out of NY it a mint red 04 tan interior 6-speed.

he wanted a check up on his new Joy. I talked to him and he has had a few NSX's before this one.

he wanted to see if they could do something about the rock chips on the front of his car. to me they were minimal but I asked him about when the timing belt was done and coolant hoses since mine just bursted days before, he didnt know. I suggested having it done. My Master NSX mech works there.

they did not assign the OP's NSX to my mech
another guy was doing it I personally dont know him.
so he has no clout with me and my NSX's

it seems I am getting this info passed down to me, the engine was not timed properly at some point and or the timing belt was off by one tooth,
the cams would not line up and they were having trouble getting TDC to lock them down with the 4 pins
whom ever put the engine together in NY didnt do it right.
if they had given this car to my NSX mech car would have been done the next day.

remember this is second hand info so it not real clear what was really wrong.

but its all done now and they are doing or did the alignment today.

all is good.

you guys really beat into the OP which is a real nice guy.

the car is a 10/10 in my book.

Back