• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Questions about Topspeed headers

This is for my 94. I want to keep the NA1 exhaust set up because I currently have an HKS muffler and want the headers to be compatible with the mufflers without any modifications.

1. Are they Smog legal in CA.
2. Who should I buy them from
3. Where can I have them installed in SoCal.
4. Current owners impressions of the the headers.

Are there any other set of headers that I should be looking at?

Thank you.

I would suggest that headers are not a smog related issue or label'd as such.
I could be wrong, but doubt it.

By them from Top Speed. I have posted numbers and contact names many times.

Can't help you with install.

I am fine with the money I paid and what I received.
You get what you pay for.
The first batch from overseas where heavier and in my opinion nicer all around.
The second or current are not as nice.
They function and work for me.
Each pair shipped out is suppose to be checked for welds and leaks.

Its your call if you want to spend more, once again, you get what you pay for.

Trev

This is for my 94. I want to keep the NA1 exhaust set up because I currently have an HKS muffler and want the headers to be compatible with the mufflers without any modifications.

Thank you.

I dont have these, but I can answer some of your questions.

1. NO they are not carb legal in california, but I dont think its likely a cop is going to notice them in the engine bay. The only time this is really going to be an issue is when it comes time for smog.
2. cant really help you there
3. There are quite a few good shops in socal. Autowave, Niguel motors, Speed oracle, etc. Or you can always do it yourself.
4. I dont have these headers but I have the old dc/comptech headers that they copied to make these. I would suggest staying away from anything with that horrible accordian flex joint. I just recently had mine crack completely off at the flange and had to take the car apart to get them repaired.

If you want to go with topspeed I would suggest getting the 97+ headers and adapters. The install and removal is quite labor intensive so when they crack it costs more than the money you saved by going with the cheaper headers.

The only CARB legal headers in California are made by Comptech and D/C Sports. During a smog cert, a smog tech can fail your car on the visual inspection portion unless you have the CARB approved sticker for the headers.

Jerry Sample at Greenlight Honda in Kearny Mesa can install them for you. He is a local NSX Certified Tech.

Wow, must suck to have a Carb.
My car is fuel injected!
Trev

Thanks guys for all the help, the thing that scares me the most is the chance of the headers cracking I guess I should just save up and grab the comptech and not worry about it cracking.

Last edited:

Thank you.

I'm running the topspeed headers and to answer your questions...

1. They do not have any CARB E.O. numbers on them so they are not smog legal, but they will past smog fine. You can't see them when they are installed due to the heat sheild covering. I recently took my car to get smog this month and told the smog guy I have headers, he told me he wouldn't even know unless I told him so he was cool with it and just proceeded on doing the testing. All past fine unless you are going F.I. or something.

2. I picked mine up from synergyaw.

3. Got mine installed at Niguel Motors by Ramon. He does awesome work and is very careful unlike other shops I do not want to mention.

4. So far so good. I like them, either way...big drastic difference from that nasty OEM cast iron NA1 junk. I think anything you swap out too is going to be better that the OEM cast iron headers. Car does feel like it picks up a bit, throttle response seem better. My only recommendation is if you are going to get them and you have an older nsx like an NA1, you might need to change out your 02 sensors. I had to change my rears because after the header install, the check engine light came up once it started to get HOT! Ramon ordered me a new 02 and changed out quickly. Now all is good.

Hope this helps...good luck dude.

Hey Hac,

When I installed my Topspeed header My 02 sensor also tripped on me for about 3 days then it went away. The reason for me at least was due to the WD40 used to loosen up the bolts. If you get even a little on them it will trip the CEL. After burning off the excess the CEL went away and I haven't seen it turn on since! It doesn't hurt to change them anyways since our cars are so old! :smile:

Thought I'd contribute to this thread.

I bought the Topspeed Headers for my 1992 via *gasp* Ebay. The total was $490 plus $78 shipping to Canada. A huge bargain I couldn't pass up, especially since the seller was willing to ship by usps which saves canucks like me mega bucks in UPS's ripoff "brokerage" fees.

Just had them installed today. No issues with 02 sensors etc since I'm running the AEM ems with wideband.

Love the sound and and noticeable difference in throttle response. When I saw the old cast iron manifold, its a no brainer mod for any early nsx. I'll keep a eye on it to make sure they're no cracks over time. My mechanic did reuse my oem manifold gasket as the cheap sandwiched metal/paper one are more likely to leak over time (the paper layer burns off usually leaving a leak at the gasket). I am not sure it will make a big difference in power output in an FI car but I'll find out next spring when she goes in for a new tune.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it and so far seems like a good bang for the buck mod. My Taitec center exit exhaust with these headers now make the car sound like a street Super GT car!

Back