• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Questions regarding Brake Lines & Master Brake Cylinder

I ended up threading the VERY soft 10mm hex nut at the end of my OEM brake lines where it terminates in the rear wheel well while trying to install new brakes and SS lines. My mechanic says I should replace my brake lines or there is a chance it will leak, even if I get it loose in the first place (which I can't).

Does anyone make an upgraded stainless steel brake line kit to replace these from the wheel well back to the master cylinder? Is there a replacement master cylinder available that will outperform the OEM unit, and if so is it worth installing while I am replacing the rear lines?

Hopefully someone here can help out, an experienced NSX mechanic who is willing to chime in would be appreciated as would vendor advice or advice from anyone who has gone through the same problem. :biggrin:

Just realized this might be better off in the NSX owner discussion forum...? Mods, help?

Last edited:
Are you refering to the nut on the hard line in the wheel well? The hard line is very lightweight aluminum, so there would be no reason to upgrade it. If this is the part damaged, that nut is a part of the hard line that connects the ABS rear distribution block (front of the car) to the rear of the car. If you cross threaded this nut, you may wish to first try to repair the threads on the nut before replacing the complete hard line.

-- Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the response. I am talking about the hex nut at the end of the hard line (in the wheel well) right above the clip where it meets the flexible brake line. How would one repair it? The nut is currently a cylinder instead of a hexagon... it crushed and rounded very easily even using a 10mm wrench. Apparently you need to use a special tool that grabs all 6 sides and has a slot for the line to pass through to get it off... oops.

Sorry, I used the wrong terminology --Thanks for the advice, I'm ordering a new line to replace it.

Is there an upgraded master cylinder available for BBK's? Mine has some oil on the outside of it, so I guess it is leaking...

Back