• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Questiopn about stock brake pads at the track

Those of you who track with stock (OEM) brake pads... What is the ratio of wear between front and rear pads? Do you end up replacing the fronts twice as often as the rears -- or do you seem to wear F & R out together at the same time?

Those of you who track with stock (OEM) brake pads... What is the ratio of wear between front and rear pads? Do you end up replacing the fronts twice as often as the rears -- or do you seem to wear F & R out together at the same time?

Been a long time since I was on OEM but yes the fronts will wear out 2x or maybe even 3x the rears. Your fronts do most of the braking as the car has a front brake bias and more importantly as you brake the weight transfers front.

Ask Ken - nsxtasy as he did a lot of tracking on stock brakes, with stock pads.

Thanks Captain...

Perhaps he and others will chime in.

In my car's early years, I was averaging changing the front pads about 1.5 times for each time I changed the rear pads. In its later years, it was more like double (twice as often for the front as the rear). I think the reason the ratio changed was, in the early years I would run the fronts all the way down to the squeaker tab (around 2 mm pad thickness), and would sometimes replace the rears when they weren't that worn; in the later years, I would change the fronts before they reached that point (typically at 4 to 5 mm), and would run the rears down to around the squeaker tab (2 mm).

I've been using about 2, 3 X fronts (probably not down ALL the way) to every set of rears. Now I have the 2001+ ABS system and have first track days with it coming up Fri & Sat... curious if that will make any difference. I'll start out with new fronts (bedded last summer) and see how it all shakes out.

Thanks all for the input!

Last edited:
Back