• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Racing Drivers Used In Development

We all know Ayrton Senna, Bobby Rahal, Satoru Nakajima, and maybe a few others have had their hand in developing the first NSX... do we know who Honda has asked to help develop the second generation NSX? Did Ted make any mention of it during NSXPO? Peter Cunningham? Billy Johnson? :)

Acura's "Engineering a Dream" video at 1:05 has a clip of what looks to be Takuma Sato (ex-F1, current IndyCar, and FE driver) getting into the NSX.
https://youtu.be/VGEyh9i1F64?t=1m4s

--Conrad

Will be interesting to see how Honda promotes their cars via F1 since Mcalren now sells cars also. I couldn't find any mention if Senna promoted the Mclaren F1 supercar when it was for sell. Maybe Mclaren will use Alonso to help sell their cars while Honda will use Button since he's been with Honda before for so long.

I think Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso will be involved from a PR standpoint for the NSX at the very least. I actually remember them both tweeting about it awhile back. Jenson was even at the recent unveiling of the NSX and Type R Civic in Geneva. Lastly, Jenson was at the Honda flagship store in Melbourne before the first F1 race last week and tweeted another pic of the NSX.

but_nsx_03.jpgjb_mclh.jpgbut_nsx.jpgnsx_melb.jpgjb_nsx_2.jpgjb_nsx.jpgjb_nsx.jpg

Here's an article from a few weeks back with Ted Klaus saying it isn't too late to get their drivers' input on the car before launch.
http://www.driving.co.uk/news/news-not-too-late-for-button-and-alonso-to-hone-nsx-says-honda/

Last edited:
I think Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso will be involved from a PR standpoint for the NSX at the very least. I actually remember them both tweeting about it awhile back. Jenson was even at the recent unveiling of the NSX and Type R Civic in Geneva. Lastly, Jenson was at the Honda flagship store in Melbourne before the first F1 race last week and tweeted another pic of the NSX.

View attachment 121864View attachment 121865View attachment 121859View attachment 121860View attachment 121861View attachment 121862View attachment 121863

Here's an article from a few weeks back with Ted Klaus saying it isn't too late to get their drivers' input on the car before launch.
http://www.driving.co.uk/news/news-not-too-late-for-button-and-alonso-to-hone-nsx-says-honda/

Urbanglowcam,
Great find and discussion.
Below is what I had recommended in an open letter to Mr. Klaus posted 1/11/15.
Good to see that I'm a decent guesser (more likely) or that they are actually listening to the discussions on the forum.
What do you think about my third recommendation for Dori Dori?
Best,
Max - GeNSX
=========================================================================
Another interesting project during the final stages of the original NSX development involved inputs from Aryton Senna. He provided inputs to stiffen the chassis and to find the right balance for a well-rounded supercar (http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/car-c...sx-exceptional ). As Honda re-enters the Formula One program by becoming an engine supplier, I think that having Alonso and Button, with 3 championships under their belts, providing tuning feedback would be highly beneficial for marketing and development. This developmental project would be a logical choice, but how about some out-of-the box thinking? I submit that Keiichi Tsuchiya would make an excellent addition for final tuning. The “Drift King” owns an NSX-R and understands the importance of balance when developing vehicles for the track and the street. He’s managed race development in JGTC GT300 and GT500 series, evaluated supercars and street tuned vehicles in Best Motoring, and raced as a driver in the JTCC and Japan Formula 3 series. I believe that his unique experience in a wide cross section of performance vehicles and cachet in the import tuning world would contribute immensely to the development and promotion of the second generation NSX.

As mentioned in my original post, Takuma Sato is definitely being used by Honda for development of the new NSX. Recently, there have been two other racing drivers that have had a chance to take the pre-production NSX out for a "quick" spin.

September 30, 2015 - Graham Rahal (IndyCar driver) posted this on Instagram:
<iframe style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; border: 0px none; margin: 1px; max-width: 658px; width: calc(100% - 2px); border-radius: 4px; box-shadow: 0px 0px 1px 0px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5), 0px 1px 10px 0px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.15); display: block; padding: 0px;" scrolling="no" data-instgrm-payload-id="instagram-media-payload-0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://instagram.com/p/8QhUguuPBf/embed/captioned/?v=5" id="instagram-embed-0" class="instagram-media instagram-media-rendered" frameborder="0" height="797"></iframe>
<script async="" defer="" src="//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js"></script>

October 9, 2015 - Peter Cunningham drives the new NSX at Thermal Raceway during NSXPO 2015.
<iframe style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; border: 0px none; margin: 1px; max-width: 658px; width: calc(100% - 2px); border-radius: 4px; box-shadow: 0px 0px 1px 0px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5), 0px 1px 10px 0px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.15); display: block; padding: 0px;" scrolling="no" data-instgrm-payload-id="instagram-media-payload-1" allowtransparency="true" src="https://instagram.com/p/8oLHGkM_jV/embed/captioned/?v=5" id="instagram-embed-1" class="instagram-media instagram-media-rendered" frameborder="0" height="780"></iframe>
<script async="" defer="" src="//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js"></script>

October 21, 2015 - Takuma Sato tweeted:
<iframe style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: block; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Nice to be back @RaceSonoma with new NSX. Having involved R&D whole year, very exited to see the great improvement! pic.twitter.com/eeVHo7A5oB
— Takuma Sato (@TakumaSatoRacer) October 22, 2015
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I believe the cars today are significantly more advanced and technical whereby a test driver's acumen and ability to communicate to engineers becomes more important than a driver that has won many championships. Obviously there's overlap because great drivers should have the ability to communicate chassis dynamics. I just think we, the loyal consumers, would want an Ayrton Senna because it's romantic.

These days you don't see Alonso be the main development driver for the 458. It's the team of Ferrari test driver's instead.

I think it's great if Button (or insert famous driver here) helps develop the car but let's be honest... Sennna probably helped develop a total of <5% of the total NSX development time.

Back