• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Radio Head Unit (EU 1991) Repair

A direct message via the the German Motortalk forum reached me. A distressed NSX driver was reporting about trouble with his radio head unit. The volume was unusually low, noise was generated when changing the volume and another repair approach had already failed.
We talked a bit over the chat and since radios that haven't fully failed yet can often be repaired, decided to ship the unit. When it arrived I had a quick look inside and found an interesting graffiti that even the owner was not aware of, so It's source might stay a mystery.

attachment.php

The first assumption was that leaking capacitors and destroyed PCB traces where the reason for the issue and once repaired would provide a fully working radio. Fortunately or unfortunately, through a previous (and well executed) repair, the radio already gained new capacitors and multiple repaired traces.

attachment.php

This proved, on one hand, that the radio did suffer from leaking capacitors but also that it couldn't be the reason for the current issue – the search continued. All previously added repair bridges were connected correctly and the problem occurred on all audio sources (CD, Cassette, Radio) in exactly the same way. The potential reason therefore had to be near the end of the audio processing chain.

A check of the power supply for the last amplifiers before the speaker output (IC205 and IC206) yielded no results as the 10 V were absolutely stable (a problem detected in a another repair). Replacing the volume, tone and power supply PCB brought no change either. Out of suspicion, the four larger capacitors used to decouple IC205 and 206, were de-soldered and checked. One of them was a little off so all four where replace. No improvement whatsoever.

While working on the PCB, an interesting component came into focus - an analogue multiplexing chip named MC14066B, called IC304. He's probably responsible for the audio source selection. If he would be defective, all sources of audio would be affected. Installing a replacement from a broken radio PCB still made the same low and distorted sound appear - no luck again.

Right next to it is IC303, a four channel OP amplifier named JRC2060. While not 100 % sure what he was supposed to do, measurements where very strange. Correct voltage supply, correct input signal but almost no output .. .. after his replacement, loud and full static noise could finally be heard (the sleeves of the capacitors nearby took a bit of beating due to the hot air soldering but nothing serious)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Informing the owner, and he was just as happy as me to hear the the unit was finally fixed. Typical for such endeavours, finding the issue is the tricky part, not so much the repair itself.
Final test were all fine and the volume bottom that needed to be removed when testing with a replacement PCB was secured with thread locker to avoid a strange look of the radio front if the knob gets loose.

attachment.php

A significant amount of time went into the analysis but the gained knowledge should come in handy for future repairs. The exchanged ICs (MC14066B and JRC2060) are still available, via the usual channels, btw.

Us radio

Do all the radios share the same components? My us radio had all the capacitors changed last year yet my audio is still spotty,lmk and thanks!

1991 radio low volume

so my 1991 has low volume, are you able to fix this as well?
If so an estimated cost to repair?
Estimated cost for shipping?

Whether it's repairable depends on the actual issue - there's unfortunately no typical error leading to this problem and needs a detailed investigation
Just a short notice: I'm located in Europe. Shipment and import tax from outside the EU is a major hassle due to the high value of the radios.

Last edited:
I would like share my own experience so far. I have 2 radios, one from original 1991 HK and one from 1996 USA (repaired before). Both have not been working for a long time and I finally got my hands on it and disassembled the entire units. I believe, both are damaged by some short circut and certain areas are blown or burnt. Below are pictures of them. I don't think they are repairable and was wondering if Alpine sell just the boards (with radio module surface mounted). Do you agree that they are not repairable?

Really hope that Alpine has replacement part or redo this for classic repair. I am sure the other modules of my radio are still good.

Attachments

• 191676361000_.pic.jpg
    191676361000_.pic.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 181676360999_.pic.jpg
    181676360999_.pic.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 171676360998_.pic.jpg
    171676360998_.pic.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 161676360997_.pic.jpg
    161676360997_.pic.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 151676360996_.pic.jpg
    151676360996_.pic.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 141676360995_.pic.jpg
    141676360995_.pic.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 23
As far as I know, Alpine is not selling any parts for these radios. Not sure about official repair services from them.
It's an unusual PCB layout, btw. At least I haven't seen that one in person yet.

From a distance it looks like it is still repairable. I personally would try it.

All discolored traces of the PCB need to be mechanically cleaned down to bare metal. Every dark spot is acid that reacted with the copper. Very carefully investigate all traces and VIAs. It very likely requires several repair wires to fix all broken connections.

You'll need to replace IC303 (potential broken traces underneath) as well as the connector CH907. Both are still available from different sources or as a similar replacement part. If the connector is damaged, the cable is often damaged, too and might need a replacement as well.

Not beginner friendly but similar repairs have been done before and were successful :)

Mine is having the intermittent volume issue as well. Is there anyone in the US who does repairs?

Mine is having the intermittent volume issue as well. Is there anyone in the US who does repairs?
I recently had the same volume issues with mine and snap crackle pop.. I am no expert by any means but I would take that as sign that those capacitors are leaking or about to. I don't know anyone who fixes the capacitors in the us.. but mine eventually crapped out and I swapped for a Williams radio retrofit.. same radio structure but all new tech and features inside including satellite and bluetooth etc.. easy install (did myself ) and I actually sent him the dead unit to retrofit as well to keep as backup for myself and prob for my brother when his 91 goes bad.. daryl is supper nice and easy to contact with questions and he said that orig radios lifespan is directly related to climate colder las longer ..good luck

I recently had the same volume issues with mine and snap crackle pop.. I am no expert by any means but I would take that as sign that those capacitors are leaking or about to. I don't know anyone who fixes the capacitors in the us.. but mine eventually crapped out and I swapped for a Williams radio retrofit.. same radio structure but all new tech and features inside including satellite and bluetooth etc.. easy install (did myself ) and I actually sent him the dead unit to retrofit as well to keep as backup for myself and prob for my brother when his 91 goes bad.. daryl is supper nice and easy to contact with questions and he said that orig radios lifespan is directly related to climate colder las longer ..good luck
Any pics you could share of the new setup? I'm afraid at some point I will have to go aftermarket, but really want to stay stock or keep the look as close as possible.

Thanks,
Greg

It is exact same unit as oem except he replaces internals and reprograms some of the buttons to diff functions .. his first reproduction had a blue display I didn't purchase bc wanted orange oem color second has it .. I purchased the exact one in video his first one completed in 2017 and it sat jn my gagrage until two weeks ago when crapped out ( garage Queen) .. sound and amenities so much better with stock speakers abd looks factory nobody knows diff I can snap a photo in next day or so it is up on lift in garage i think iit is Kenwood internals ..I am no expert never did before but talked to Daryl and watched you tube and did it .. and it works and ran the usb wires into armrest as well .. pretty impressed with myself ..update I sent daryl the broken unit to rebuild for me to have either for me as backup or my brothers 91 that haas orig radio

Attachments

• IMG_0667.jpeg
    IMG_0667.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0666.jpeg
    IMG_0666.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Back