• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Re-clear coating to end the swirls blues?

Many of us have the clear coat swirls blues and are constantly fighting the battle to hide them with Zaino's, or remove them with compound without burning into the underlying color coat. Some of us inherited these swirls, others of us inadvertently created them. In any case, all of us hate them, it's a common pain, and I think we'd all like to have a new start, if possible.

So, what are the realistic considerations/problems with having an NSX clear coat redone by a top paint shop?

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Nsxotic,

I didn't say complete "repaint", only "clear coat." So what's the problem?

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

My opinion on this if the car looks like crap before you paint it, then I don't see any harm in repainting pieces of a car. I don't know why so many people freek out about a car being painted. If it was done right then you wouldn't even know it was painted. I am sure there are some owners out there that think they have a perfect NSX, but in fact some of them have probably been painted and they just can't tell.

If I had my choice between two cars one that has had paint work obvious only by the owner telling me.

And two a car that has no paint work but looks like crap, I'm sorry but I would buy the one that got painted.

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 14 March 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxxtreme:
I don't see any harm in repainting pieces of a car. I don't know why so many people freek out about a car being painted.

[ .]
I would agree, if we were talking about a Honda Accord or a Camaro or a late model pickup truck, but in my opinion no irreversible mods should ever be done to a car like an NSX.

Maintenance. Mechanical or body, dealing with worn parts(and that includes paint) is maintenance and necessary to keep your car running and looking as good as new. A Delorean even needs some refinishing - the bumper extensions.

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 14 March 2002).]

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 14 March 2002).]

Originally posted by NSXY:
Nsxotic,

I didn't say complete "repaint", only "clear coat." So what's the problem?

THAT IS a complete repaint. Just because you are not refinishing the color doesn't mean it's not a complete repaint.

By the way, nsxxtreme, he was talking about repainting due to 'swirls'. Not because the 'car looked like crap', as you say. If you mean 'crap' like it is chipped and scratched to hell, then you are left with little choice but to paint it. But, to paint due to swirls or color change or to refresh, is insane. Swirls can be permanently removed correctly. Not by re-clearcoating the car.

[This message has been edited by Nsxotic (edited 25 March 2002).]

[ Swirls can be permanently removed correctly. Not by re-clearcoating the car.[/B][/QUOTE]

What is the best way to do this?

By removing some of the existing clear coat. NSXs have a very thick layer of clear on them to begin with. A professional can buff (orbital) out those swirls with no problem. I never recommend high speed buffing but if the swirls are excessive, you may need to do it. A pro should have no problem but make sure the guy knows exactly how to handle a high speed because in the wrong hands, one can cause more damage.

I agree with nsxotic... Repaint is a drastic step for swirls. Swirls can be dealt with even on your own with a good swirl remover (pick your brand), some really high quality towels, and a bunch of hard work (builds muscle!)

My car has fairly high miles (50k), and, as such, has picked up its share of small chips and a scratch or two, but there is no way I'd do a repaint. I may repaint the front spoiler due to some unsightly crapes, but no way the whole car.

Full repaint is a pretty drastic step. IMHO the paint has to be a lost cause to justify it...

A pro should have no problem but make sure the guy knows exactly how to handle a high speed because in the wrong hands, one can cause more damage.[/B][/QUOTE]
AMEN

Forget the so-called "pros". Buy the Griot's low speed/no heat system and do it yourself. You literally can't screw it up. If that doesn't work then your paint job is beyond repair and you should consider a re-paint. Simply re-applying the clear coat may be difficult since the NSX paint process includes a colored/tinted clear coat that is fairly deep. Also, everyone I know of that has re-applied clear coat (none of them NSX's) has had problems down the road with peeling, craking, and discoloration.

Originally posted by DaveJP:
Simply re-applying the clear coat may be difficult since the NSX paint process includes a colored/tinted clear coat that is fairly deep.

If I'm not mistaken, the only color NSX that has a tinted clear coat is red; clear coats on other color NSX's are not tinted.

BTW, I agree that repainting to get rid of swirl marks is too drastic. Start with the least aggressive measures; if they don't work try something stronger. Repainting is a last resort.

Before you go down the path of re-clear coating the car, I'd have it professionally buffed. I have seen some very BAD looking cars(swirled to death and looked like they washed it with a scouring pad), had it buffed, and it came out looking like GLASS.

I'm with the others, re-clearing is too drastic. Try other proven methods before taking the plunge.

Good Luck
smile.gif

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

What we need here in the US is that great Refresh program available for the NSX in Japan.
Of course, it would cost a small fortune shipping to Tochigi and back for the factory refresh. Oh well.

Nsxotic
THAT IS a complete repaint. Just because you are not refinishing the color doesn't mean it's not a complete repaint.

By the way, nsxxtreme, he was talking about repainting due to 'swirls'. Not because the 'car looked like crap', as you say. If you mean 'crap' like it is chipped and scratched to hell, then you are left with little choice but to paint it. But, to paint due to swirls or color change or to refresh, is insane. Swirls can be permanently removed correctly. Not by re-clearcoating the car.

I would agree, for swirl marks this would not be the option to go. I have actually never even heard of someone trying to just do a clear coat only. My statement was made based on the fact that I hear people freeking out about a little paint work done on a NSX.

spookyp
My car has fairly high miles (50k), and, as such, has picked up its share of small chips and a scratch or two, but there is no way I'd do a repaint. I may repaint the front spoiler due to some unsightly crapes, but no way the whole car.

This is more along the lines of what I was talking about. I see nothing wrong with this.
Notice in my original post I said pieces not the entire car.

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 15 March 2002).]

Back