• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RE: Pre '97 NSXs, what component is most restrictive?

RE: Pre '97 NSXs, what component is most restrictive?

What is the 1 mod that u can do that gives the most hp besides the supercharger or NOS? A mod that simply replaces a stock part with an aftermarket part? From reading thru the FAQ and the forums it seems as though just by changing the stock iron cast exhaust manifold will yield the most hp gains by itself. The exhaust seems to give modest gains by itself, but not much. If u had to rank what "stock replacement" mod would gain the most horsepower gains all by itself, how would it be? Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Upgrade the nut that holds the steering wheel.

Few if any of us are using anywhere near the limits of the NSX's capabilities. Improvements in driver skill will make a far greater difference than most other mods.

Agree with Ken, after you do the Bondurant thing (just did it over the holiday, well worth it), I'd suggest getting a decent header to replace the pre-97 manifold, which is a good cost effective HP mod.

--twc

What are you modding your car to do??? Drag race, street driving, tracking? This is significant if you want the best mod for your money.

Well, regardless, you will always get the potential of the car if you adjust and tighten the loose nut behind the wheel; I agree with Ken too
biggrin.gif

------------------
Kenji Ligon
91 Red CTSC NSX

The mod where when I step on the gas I know that I'm accelerating faster than before. Mods that narrows the performance gap between my NSX and the 3.2L NSXs with 290hp. Thanks.

Ryan

During a NorCal dyno day, we tested several NSXs. The first plot is a modded 3.0L with only I/H/E for engine mods. The latter is a relatively strong, stock 3.2L. Not much difference except for the nominally higher torque on the 3.2L.

modnsx3liter.jpg

97nsx3.2liter.jpg

[This message has been edited by Number9 (edited 05 January 2002).]

Originally posted by RyRy210:
The mod where when I step on the gas I know that I'm accelerating faster than before. Mods that narrows the performance gap between my NSX and the 3.2L NSXs with 290hp. Thanks.

Ryan

Well with the constraints that you inputed (exclude: superchargers, NOS, Turbos...) and the general statement that you want to go fast... I'll assume street driving is what you are looking for. My number one mod would be Header & Exhaust ($~3,000), 5/6 speed with 4.55s ($~5,500), and then porting heads and high lift cams set from Comptech($~5,000). OR just bolt on a supercharger ($~6,000) from Mark Basch.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Kenji Ligon
91 Red CTSC NSX

Originally posted by RyRy210:

Ryan

How about smaller lighter rear wheels and/or tires? Really, I'm serious. It's like increasing the numerical value of the ring and pinion.

Weight reduction will help a bit (remove spare tire, engine cover, trunk mat, floor mats, sound insulation, lighter seats,...). Every hundred pounds is roughly equivalent to a tenth or so over the quarter mile (~5HP).

If cost were a significant factor would any of you have picked a chip for the ECU, or is there little belief that they are worth while? I know the chips for many cars shift the power band but don't result in a significant net gain in real-world performance, but I was under the impression that the one Dali sells for the NSX offers measurable gains.

I have tried a number of different chips and, after dyno testing each one, I am back to the stock chip. I agree with Ken, work on driving skills, then replace the header and exhaust.

Definitely do exhaust for visual and sound appeal, as well as a little extra power. Headers also give good power, but frankly, it's not really *that* noticeable, because the gains are mostly in the 7000-8000rpm range, and it's not nearly as much bang for the buck as nitrous or a supercharger. Especially since installation labor is significant. If I had it to do over again, I'd get just an exhaust, and save the money from headers to get a supercharger, or maybe try nitrous.

Weight reduction isn't always an option for everyone, but keep in mind, weight reduction not only helps you accellerate faster, but it also helps you stop faster and turn faster.

-Mike

Headers headers headers, it's all about the headers.

My recommendation (for best performance):

1. headers
2. exhaust
3. Cantrell AIS
4. intake

Regards,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

Just to clarify, headers are good, worth about 13hp on the dyno at a dyno day I was at where I compared my car to another car with the same exhaust and no headers. I'm only saying they're not TOO terribly worthwhile if you're on a serious budget. If you can easily afford the $1500+ for purchase and install, or you're not planning to save up for forced induction or anything, then definitely do them.

Chris lists intake as number 4 on the list... One should note that you (probably) won't get the power and more importantly sound benefits of the Cantrell AIS if you get a filter-on-a-stick-style intake, rather than one that connects to the hole in the fender well where the factory airbox connects. I've had a filter-on-a-stick setup with the Cantrell AIS, and it sounded nowhere near as good as the stock airbox with the cantrell AIS. I couldn't prove or disprove any performance gains, though.

-Mike

Back