• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RE: Suspension kit upgrades

Disregard this if your new Swift springs already come with rubber strips installed on the coils. Otherwise read on . . . .

When installing your new springs there is a black rubber strip on the old springs (front only - might be hard to see if the spring is dirty). These rubber strips pull right off. Take these rubber strips, clean them up, put a little silicone on the rubber and install them on your new springs. The rubber should wrap around the spring approximately 1 1/2 times. Make sure to get the rubber piece in the same location on the new spring as it was on the old spring. These rubber strips were originally installed to minimize any noise when the individual coils contact each other. Leaving these rubber pieces off you may get some occasional clunking when the individual coils touch under suspension compression.

Last edited:
E6DA1B5A-3BAA-4704-8E59-01031A7A5052.jpg
EF0BBEDF-4432-4C70-B87C-355681C3D9E0.jpgAD8EBE1F-18EE-4D52-A19C-D202D8F99336.jpg2C3D9A34-9D6C-4F24-806D-718DDD5D3120.jpg

Here’s the update on the Swift springs with Bilstein (upper perch setting). I would say it sitting 0.80in lower, rides comfort was just as well as stock suspension set up.

Disregard this if your new Swift springs already come with rubber strips installed on the coils. Otherwise read on . . . .

When installing your new springs there is a black rubber strip on the old springs (front only - might be hard to see if the spring is dirty). These rubber strips pull right off. Take these rubber strips, clean them up, put a little silicone on the rubber and install them on your new springs. The rubber should wrap around the spring approximately 1 1/2 times. Make sure to get the rubber piece in the same location on the new spring as it was on the old spring. These rubber strips were originally installed to minimize any noise when the individual coils contact each other. Leaving these rubber pieces off you may get some occasional clunking when the individual coils touch under suspension compression.

Yes, these Swift springs came with the black rubber padding. I wish I could of get New oem base, shock absorber mounts. Seem like all Acura dealers and parts site do not stock them. They all have No definite dates, back order.

59CBD51D-23A4-468C-BF59-B56627804B60.jpg

The Bilsteins are a good second option if the OEM 1997 dampers are not available. Should match up well with the Swift springs. One word of caution / advice; install the Swift springs on the upper perch on the Bilsteins. You may be tempted to go with the lower perch to get additional lowering, but it will be too low, especially in the front and you will rub the inner fender liner most any time you hit a bump.

Post up pictures when you are finished.

I’ll post some New pictures of it, on17“/18” wheels. Got too late after I put on the new wheels.

That looks awfully high for a .8" front drop. Are you sure your installer put the spring plates in the correct way?

This is the wrong orientation (it is upside down):

Wrong.JPG

This is the correct orientation:

Correct.JPG

Last edited:
That looks awfully high for a .8" front drop. Are you sure your installer put the spring plates in the correct way?

This is the wrong orientation (it is upside down):

View attachment 167208

This is the correct orientation:

View attachment 167209

I’ll check the plates position tonight. I thought the same, after it was done. From what he said, spring/shocks are New, it’ll take a little time for it to settle down. The mechanic I went to is a prefer SoCal NSX shop. He has own over 10 X’s himself. From watching him, he know the car in/outs. Prior experience as a Acura dealer tech, and one of the early tech that was send to train on NSX at the facility. I did watch the whole installed, but I’ll check again.

Doing both will work out like this.

.875 + .80 = 1.675” lower in the front.

For practical purposes this is too low and the front tires (especially if you go 17/18) will rub the inner fender liners every time you hit any kind of dip in the road.

I had Tein-S springs (.7" lower) with the Bilsteins on the lower perch and it rubbed a lot. Could not wait to get them off.

If you are doing the work yourself there is no harm in trying the Swifts on the lower perch. However if you are having a shop do it you’ll need to budget for a second go-around as I don’t think you’ll be happy with the ride on the lower perch.

My current setup is the Bilsteins with Swift Spring on lower perch and it DOES NOT rub my inner fender liners even on full turn and speed bumps. I have 17/18 RGIII and rides very comfortably on the streets especially driving to the Mid-East Meet in NC (4hrs away). Wanted to close the fender gap and was worried about the rubbing issues on lower perch, but turns out it was a good decision.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Garage2 copy.png
    Garage2 copy.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
Back