• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rear tire question

I recently bought a Dunlop SP8000 for $100.00 hoping that I could find another one to match it. I have searched everywhere, and I mean everwhere. I could not find one so I bought the 8000s replacement, the Dunlop 8080E. Even though the tread pattern is simular but not axact. My question is, would you put two different tires on your car? Is it a bad idea? Did I make a mistake in buying the 8000? Can you really notice the different tread patterns if you are standing behind the car? Thanks in advance.

Not a good idea...sure going the speed limit around town you probably won't see any issue, but any high speed or even low speed hard cornering you'll notice a problem. Also, the 9000 replaced the 8000...the 8080 was specifically designed for the NSX.

FYI, what size do you need? I have a 17" rear in my garage with somewhere around 50-75% tread left...forgot the exact size. One went bad a couple years ago and I couldn't get two so I went with the 9000. I have since gone with the Toyo TS1's.

[This message has been edited by TES (edited 26 January 2001).]

Dman, I was having the same problem as you. Everytime I needed one new tire, I had to buy two of a different size and just recently I exhausted all of my options. Also, I would not have different treads on the same axle, different treads on the front vs. rear are acceptable.

I presently have in my garage some SP800's: one 205/40/17; another is 215/40/17; and the two on my car that I'm replacing are 225/40/17. All of then have about 85% tread left. If any of these sizes are a match for you, I'll gladly part with them.

Presently, I have about 1k mile(max) to go before I have to replace my OEM Yokos. I can tell a huge difference in the loss of traction on my current tires. (I think the cold weather have a part in the loss of traction as well.) It's amazing how much the OEM tires have an impact on NSX's handling performance.

Anyhow, should I stay with OEM tires? If so, how much are they and where can I get them without feeling like I got robbed?

Presently, I have about 1k mile(max) to go before I have to replace my OEM Yokos. I can tell a huge difference in the loss of traction on my current tires. (I think the cold weather have a part in the loss of traction as well.)

Cold weather has a HUGE impact on high-performance tires.

As the tread wears down, the tires generally feel pretty good on dry pavement (in warmer weather) but performance on wet roads declines.

It's amazing how much the OEM tires have an impact on NSX's handling performance.

Yes, the OEM tires are really great at that. Their precision in cornering is probably better than any other tire. The tire manufacturer can do a lot with designing a tire when they know which corner of the car it's going to be mounted on. See the FAQ for more info about the OEM tires.

Anyhow, should I stay with OEM tires?

If you like them, yes, definitely.

If so, how much are they and where can I get them without feeling like I got robbed?

Best prices you can get are to (a) join the NSX Club of America ( http://www.nsxca.org ) if you haven't done so already, and then (b) call the club's contacts at Discount Tire Direct for the wholesale prices they give to NSX Club members.

If you don't want to join the club, another place to check prices (you can do it on-line) is the Tire Rack at http://www.tirerack.com They have a network of installers all over the country who can install them for you locally.

Back