• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recommendations for lowering '92

I'd like to lower my car primarily for the improvement in looks. This is not a track car and I don't want to greatly compromise handling/ride quality. A drop of 1"-1.5" probably without spending a fortune.

I've read the FAQ and done a search and think I know the available options, but would like to hear some actual recommendations from those that have lived with their setups for awhile.

Also, a question. Why can you change the ride height with the Bilstein shocks? Why aren't the springs the only determinant in ride height? Anybody use Bilsteins alone to achieve more than a .75" drop?

Bilsteins have two perches - upper and lower. That's the difference. You can use these with the stock springs or you can lower your car with aftermarket springs and the stock shocks if you don't want to spend a fortune. For the different performance and lowering rates you may do a search on Prime, there's a bunch of information and even pics of the different setups.

NSX-Racer said:
Bilsteins have two perches - upper and lower. That's the difference. You can use these with the stock springs or you can lower your car with aftermarket springs and the stock shocks if you don't want to spend a fortune. For the different performance and lowering rates you may do a search on Prime, there's a bunch of information and even pics of the different setups.
OK, I understand that is how the ride height is adjusted with the Bilsteins. But my question relates to my understanding (misunderstanding?) that springs support the car and shocks do no provide support(affecting ride height), but rather only control suspension motion(bound/rebound).

Your assumption is not too false. In the case of the Bilsteins the springs are compressed a bit by the mounting with the lower perch even when the car is sitting still. So it's just as if your car would be heavier than it is and preload the springs.

Back