• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recommendations on 18"/19" tires please.

I've got a set of 18x8" and 19x10" Work wheels on order that are set to arrive in a week or so. I'm going to need tires and are looking for recommendations with these aspects in mind. (Most important is first). I'm looking for sizes 215/35/18 (possibly 225/35/18) for the front and 275/30/19 (265/30/19 also ok) rear.

1) Price (cheaper the better)
2) Tire wear (longer lasting is better)
3) Road noise
4) Comfort
5) Overall grip (don't plan to race or track on the 18/19"s thats what I have the stock wheels for)

Any recommendations on what tires to get and where to get them? (I'm in Los Angeles/San Diego, and they'll need to be mounted and balanced)

My vote for a decent set of tires is for a set of Toyo Proxes T1S. Do a search on the net and get them shipped to you. I have a set and they seem to be fine (can't comment on the performance aspects though). Good luck, RJ

Since price is most important and performance is not, I would suggest considering the best "budget performance" tires out there, rather than the best performance tires out there that are considerably more expensive (and aren't available in your sizes anyway).

Basically, these break down into two categories: (1) tires that are inexpensive and have pretty good performance, such as the Yokohama ES100, Fuzion ZRi, Avon Tech M500, and Dunlop Direzza DZ101, and (2) tires that are a little bit higher in price as well as performance, such as the previously-recommended Toyo Proxes T1-S and Kumho MX. Unfortunately, many of these tires aren't available in the 18"/19" sizes you're looking for, which is one of the downsides of oversized wheels. For those that are, here are prices (from Tire Rack except where indicated):

Fuzion ZRi 215/35-18 $119 275/30-19 $197
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 215/35-18 $159 265/30-19 $249 275/30-19 $241
Bridgestone Potenza RE750 215/35-18 $162 275/30-19 $213
Toyo Proxes T1-S 215/35-18 $167 265/30-19 $243 275/30-19 $258 (prices from Sierra and Frisby)

Of these choices, I think the Toyo is better in most respects than the similarly-priced BFG and Bridgestone tires, and is very well-respected. So I agree that that's a great choice. Or, if you want to save money, you might try the cheaper Fuzion ZRi, which is a new tire on the market and has done well against other budget performance tires in Tire Rack testing.

Hapa88 said:
Any recommendations on what tires to get and where to get them? (I'm in Los Angeles/San Diego, and they'll need to be mounted and balanced)
Can't you get them from the dealer that is selling you your wheels? Most wheel dealers also sell tires at great prices and don't charge extra for mounting and balancing.

Otherwise, your local Discount Tire shop can get most of these, Les Schwab sells Toyos, or if you're getting tires from the Tire Rack, you can use one of their 3,000 recommended installers (you can use their website to find one near you).

what work wheels did you order?

I just got my TS-1's :biggrin:

03 raw nsx said:
what work wheels did you order?

I just got my TS-1's :biggrin:

Thats awesome! I decided to go with the Work Termist TM-1s. Its the multi spoke design. Its been almost 4 months but they are set to arrive this week! Can't wait. :biggrin:

nsxtasy said:
Can't you get them from the dealer that is selling you your wheels? Most wheel dealers also sell tires at great prices and don't charge extra for mounting and balancing.

Thanks for your reply nsxtasy!

For the mounting, I'm getting the wheels from a friend that works for wheel importer. They just import so all they have is a warehouse and don't do anything tire related.

I had ordered the TM-1's, but work told me that they were having problems with the vendor applying the painted 'chrome' finish and that they were trying to find another vendor to do the finish. They basically told me it would take about 5 months :eek: after a sample finish some testing then production finishing. Then I looked at the Japanese Work wheel site and saw some better pics of the TS-1's, called work and they told me the TS-1's are in stock in the 'chrome' finish - I said SOLD (they are also a little easier to keep clean)

Both wheels are awesome :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hapa88 said:
Thats awesome! I decided to go with the Work Termist TM-1s. Its the multi spoke design. Its been almost 4 months but they are set to arrive this week! Can't wait. :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_1289.jpg
    IMG_1289.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 244
Hapa88 said:
I've got a set of 18x8" and 19x10" Work wheels on order that are set to arrive in a week or so. I'm going to need tires and are looking for recommendations with these aspects in mind. (Most important is first). I'm looking for sizes 215/35/18 (possibly 225/35/18) for the front and 275/30/19 (265/30/19 also ok) rear.

3) Road noise
4) Comfort
5) Overall grip (don't plan to race or track on the 18/19"s thats what I have the stock wheels for)

I have 215/35/18 18x7.5 Front 275/35/19 19x9.5 Rear and it looks great with no tire rubbing, Changes the whole look of the car.

Hapa88 said:

3) Road noise
4) Comfort

Dont let a tire shop tell you that a 18x8'' rim would work good with 215/35/18 tire.The rim will look bigger with that tire size,and that tire will pop ,cracking that rim going over a pot hole.

Smiley said:
I have 215/35/18 18x7.5 Front 275/35/19 19x9.5 Rear
You may get away with that rear size on a '91-93 NSX, but they will almost certainly create problems for the TCS on a '94 and later. They will also cause much slower acceleration, because of the effective gearing; The outer diameter, which is 6.9 percent larger than stock :eek: , is the equivalent of changing to a taller R&P gear (as though you were going from a 4.062 stock to a 3.80 :eek: ). That's why it's best to stick with 265/30-19 or 275/30-19 in the rear.

I plan to get 225/35/18 & 275/30/19 goodyear F1's for my Work TS-1's :biggrin:

Here is a pic of the 18/8

I'll post a new thread when I pic of them on the car :wink: :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_1288.jpg
    IMG_1288.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 223
Back