• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recycling my NSX rear tires

Tire peppers!

DSC_0413.jpg

I cut a round piece of masonite and attached wheels so I can rotate them and move them around the pool deck for optimum sunshine. Works like a charm!

I also used a couple sets here for my Morning Glory bed. Picture from a couple months ago.
DSC_9295.JPG

And the same spot a couple weeks ago.
DSC_0304.jpg

I've got another set of rears tossed over the hammock poles, but no good pictures of them. Yeah, I know, I'm weird. :)

Ah, I have enough for now and there's a new set every 11 or 12 months, but thanks.

Here are the hammock pole tires. Aloe Vera on the right and Oyster plant on the left. These are the rear tires that were on my car when I bought it.
DSC_9298.JPG

You sir are cuckoo:tongue:

Nice! I absolutely enjoy finding creative ways to reuse products.

Here are some example I found on the net that's kinda cool to look at:
horse-made-from-recycled-tires.jpg

Horse made from recycled tires.

buddha-made-from-recycled-tires.jpg

I'm thinking Buddha didn't have this reincarnation in mind. Made from recycled tires.

dragon-sculpture-made-from-recycled-tires.jpg

Dragon Sculpture Made from Recycled Tires.

Tire peppers!

DSC_0413.jpg

I cut a round piece of masonite and attached wheels so I can rotate them and move them around the pool deck for optimum sunshine. Works like a charm!

I also used a couple sets here for my Morning Glory bed. Picture from a couple months ago.
DSC_9295.JPG

And the same spot a couple weeks ago.
DSC_0304.jpg

I've got another set of rears tossed over the hammock poles, but no good pictures of them. Yeah, I know, I'm weird. :)
cool, i've thought of doing the same thing with the tires i'm about to replace.

You can get at least another 5000 miles from those tires.:biggrin:

That's awesome. Creative and better than in a landfill.

There's a company here in Dubai that is re-using old tires and adding the mixture to asphalt mixtures...

What kind of chiles are those in the tire 3rd from the left?

They look like they'd burn ya twice! :biggrin:

What kind of chiles are those in the tire 3rd from the left?

They look like they'd burn ya twice! :biggrin:

Cayenne peppers. Not the hottest peppers in the world, but still damn hot. I chopped about 1/4 of one up in an omelet last weekend and had a volcano in my belly all morning. :eek:

I recycle my tires too. I used to have to buy black smoke in bulk before. Now I just burn my tires and make my own black smoke. It makes me feel good that I'm saving the planet by recycling my tires. Plus I save all that gas that I would have normally spent going to the store to buy all that black smoke.

I noticed that you didn't post any pics showing what you're growing inside the tires that are in your basement.:biggrin:

I noticed that you didn't post any pics showing what you're growing inside the tires that are in your basement.:biggrin:

LOL! :biggrin:

If you think my tires are cuckoo, how about the rest of my planters? I had to do something with all those old computers.

DSC_9304.JPG

DSC_9305.JPG

twisted mind..green thumb:biggrin:

OMG Skippy -- where did you get all those old Macs? The tires, I understand -- I've certainly burned through my share.

Awesome stuff!

OMG Skippy -- where did you get all those old Macs? The tires, I understand -- I've certainly burned through my share.

Awesome stuff!

Thanks!

I bought most of them on eBay in the late 90s and early 2000s. At one time I had almost a 100 of them. I intended to make aquariums of them for sale, but then I got a MUCH better job and didn't need the money so much any more so they just sat in my shed for years and years. This was my solution and they're almost all converted now. I gave a bunch away (pretty much every friend and relative we have got one for Christmas the last couple years :) ).

How about a little update featuring my project from this past weekend?

A couple months ago, I bought one of those TopsyTurvy upside-down tomato planters. Basically it's a plastic bag of dirt with a hole in the bottom and I must say, it works great. The little tomato plant we started in there has grown continuously and shows no signs of slowing down.

But true to my nature, I didn't see any reason to spend $10 for this product when I could instead use some of the crap I have laying around and spend my Saturday with yet another DIY project.

I started with a couple kitty litter buckets and a few half empty cans of spray paint left over from my Mac Planter builds. The plastic handles on the buckets are useless, so I cut them off before painting.
DSC_0420.jpg

Then I used a hole saw and cut a 1" hole right square in the bottom. Not pictured, I also drilled a half dozen very small holes in the bottom towards each side. I figure it's got to have at least a little drainage.
DSC_0422.jpg

I drilled smaller holes on each corner and using a combination of tie wraps, old doggy chain, and bits of soaker hose, I constructed handles it could hang by.
DSC_0433.jpg

Here's our victim, a healthy but small Poblano Pepper seedling.
DSC_0437.jpg

Even though it's small, the hole I'm putting it through is smaller. What I did was cut up a plastic grocery bag and rolled this plant's leaves up with it into a cylinder which I then fed through the hole. I cut a kitchen sponge in half and placed the root ball on that. The intent is the sponge will stop dirt from going out through the hole while allowing the stem to get bigger.
DSC_0440.jpg

Not pictured, but easy enough to visualize, I now fill the rest of the bucket with dirt. Since I have an area of flat dirt at the top, I put in 3 little rows of radish seeds in the top. I figure they won't grow downwards very far so shouldn't compete with the upwards growing tomato roots.

Here is the finished product hanging on the fence along with the 2nd bucket and the original TopsyTurvy tomato plant. At the height I've got them now, I can just barely see into the top of the buckets if I stand on my toes (that's a very tall fence).
DSC_0451.jpg

That's it for now. I'll follow up with pictures of the results in a few weeks.

skippy,

love the way you approach container gardening. we've got a handful of earthboxes and they are producing like mad - far beyond in-ground results we've had in the past. we've got little boxes around the house and may give those a try, too... much cheaper than earth boxes :)
hal

Back