• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

? related to washing/drying the NSX

Although I parked my car in the driveway with the nose at a slightly elevation over the tail, I noticed that water was "pooling" at the top edges of the trunk. I did my best to get the chamois in there to get the water out but I couldn't get it all.

I've never owned a car that had this issue as gravity would normally pull the water out.

Anyone else notice this issue?

I know the car is aluminum so rust isn't an issue like it would be with steel but water is still corrosive on the paint and I'm not keen on this happening going forward.

I would shove a small nozzel in there and vacume out the leaves that are probably plugging up the drain holes. You would be surprised how much crud gets caught in there.

When you dirive onto level ground they will drain out. If they don't drain, your drain hole is plugged.

However based on your descriptions, that is normal for this car.

HTH

Hiroshima said:
I would shove a small nozzel in there and vacume out the leaves that are probably plugging up the drain holes. You would be surprised how much crud gets caught in there.

When you dirive onto level ground they will drain out. If they don't drain, your drain hole is plugged.

However based on your descriptions, that is normal for this car.

HTH

Great idea. Another good use for the Shop Vac that I told my wife "I had to have". I'll give that a try.

hlweyl said:
Maybe try backing in occasionally?

I think that would only worsen the situation as the intended water flow would then be against gravity.

Plus... I haven't found a way to back into my driveway without scraping the black plastic chin spoiler :confused: (and yes, I've tried going very slowly and at an exaggerated angle. so far, I've only found one way in and out of my driveway that doesn't scrape!)

Just another suggestion. If you have an air compressor, you could (carefully) blow out the water and any debris that may be present. If the drain holes are clogged, then you obviously will have to unclog them. :rolleyes:

It's normal. I too park at an elevation on my driveway when washing the car and the area you are describing is behind the trunk hinges. There is a dip there and water stays. I use my finger to push the water forward so it dains by gravity and then use a towel but it is difficult to clean well.

This should have been in the list of "you know you are an NSX owner when ....... :wink:

I had the same problem with water pooling in that area. (with a partner manning the faucet on/off switch) I put a high pressure nozzle into the hole between the hatch glass and rear trunk hinges and had my friend turn on the hose slowly to full pressure. It cleared out a bunch of leaves and junk pretty easily and quickly, washing it all out underneath the car. I don't have the water pooling problem any more.

Wow, going into 7 years of ownership and I was not aware that there is a drainage hole there! Is this shown in the manual? Will look for it in the morning! Thanks, one learns something new everyday on Prime :wink:

Edit: Oh those drainage holes! Well, they do not help the puddling if you are at an incline with the front being higher.

Last edited:
Back