• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Removing Chrome from OEM 94+Wheels ?

Hello,

Has anyone out there had their wheels chroming removed? I did not chrome these and they are beginning to flake. It would be nice to go back to OEM look. Any advice/ stories are appreciated. (i.e. How much did it cost and where?)

Thanks.

While I'm not a fan of chromed wheels, I also must say that the 94 OEM wheels were a very dull, ugly, gunmetal finish and probably do look better chromed. The other option, if you like the OEM look, is to sell yours to someone for track use and buy a set of 2000+ which were polished. (they may have done ths earlier, like in 95, maybe)

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
While I'm not a fan of chromed wheels, I also must say that the 94 OEM wheels were a very dull, ugly, gunmetal finish and probably do look better chromed. The other option, if you like the OEM look, is to sell yours to someone for track use and buy a set of 2000+ which were polished. (they may have done ths earlier, like in 95, maybe)

It was 1997 when they switched to the brighter, Blades Silver finish from the gunmetal, Solaris Silver wheels that were originally introduced for 1994.

I think somewhere the FAQ shows changes by year...
wink.gif

Hello Dave,

Looks like we have the same year and color car (and same wheel problem). Good luck.

I guess it would be easiest to sell the set and buy newer.

p.s. I think the green is a nice color. It is very dark like black but with more depth.

------------------
HCleb.

Originally posted by SoCal-NSX:
My gunmetal finish is starting to peel off. Any way to get it reapplied or are these now my track wheels?

A good wheel refinishing shop can make them look just like new. Several are listed in the FAQ. Expect to pay $150-200 per wheel.

Hi Hans --

The chrome plating is more difficult to remove than paint. My wheel refinisher suggests a sand blasting, however, this may not be enough. I think a better idea would be to sell the wheels and get some new ones.

-- Chris

Originally posted by Hans:
Hello,

Has anyone out there had their wheels chroming removed? I did not chrome these and they are beginning to flake. It would be nice to go back to OEM look. Any advice/ stories are appreciated. (i.e. How much did it cost and where?)

Thanks.

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

So Cal-NSX,

You can have your wheels powdercoated, there is a place here in San Diego, on PCH called RW Little, the phone number is: 619 297 3705. I believe powdercoating runs ~ $35/40 per wheel, and turnaround time is ~ 10 business days. Something you migh look into, and as far as aftermarket wheels, I would suggest the bronze Mugen MF10's, I have yet to see an NSX outfitted w/ these here in the US, gorgeous wheel, and extremley light as well as extremely expensive. But, well worth the money!

mf10.jpg

[This message has been edited by bb6 (edited 28 April 2002).]

Back