• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Removing Rotors

I'm having trouble removing the two flat head phillip screws that hold on the brake rotor. I've been pounding on the screws using an impact driver. Is there a secret to get these screws loose?

I'm going to watch this thread, to see what kind of advice is offered.

I couldn't get mine to budge either using a hand-held impact wrench and decided what I wanted to do wasn't worth the busted knuckles and gave up.

------------------
johne
1992 NSX Blk/Blk
1995 NSX-T Blk/Blk

Very common problem. If the head is stripped and all else fails then drill out the head. Not the hole screw. You just want to drill the head off so that it comes off of the rest of the screw. When the rotors os off the screws will simply turn out with a little effort with your fingers or pliers.

Originally posted by ladman:
Very common problem. If the head is stripped and all else fails then drill out the head. Not the hole screw. You just want to drill the head off so that it comes off of the rest of the screw. When the rotors os off the screws will simply turn out with a little effort with your fingers or pliers.
A footnote to Ladman's reply, the purpose of those screws, as told to me by my mechanic, is to hold the rotors in place during the original assembly of the vehicle. They really serve little or no purpose after that so don't be too concerned if you have to cut the heads off in order to remove them. He used an imact screwdriver that with a few sharp smacks of a hammer had them turning. Of course it never hurts to give them a healthy shot of WD-40 or other solvent ten minutes before attempting to crack them for the first time.

I would like thank everybody for their help. With encouragement from TampaBayNSX-R
I continued to pound on the impact driver after letting some WD-40 soak in overnight. Part of my problem was from using the impact driver incorrectly after I applied the WD-40. I preloaded it by pushing it in before hitting with a hammer. Letting the hammer depress it worked and I was able to remove the screws. I can now proceed to install my slotted rotors I purchased from Dali Racing.

The solution is heat. Get a propane torch for 5 bucks and heat all those siezed fasteners. By applying heat to the area, the metal casting surrounding the bolt will expand, while the bolt itself WILL REDUCE IN DIAMETER. - You read that right, it is a proven fact that round shafts will reduce in diameter under heat where-as round holes will increase in diameter. Good luck.

Back