• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Replacement a/c compressor has smaller pulley?

Im doing some side work for guy that owns a 92 NSX. I replaced the a/c compressor and when I went to put the belt on I found out that the new pulley/clutch is smaller. I contacted the owner and told him it's gonna need a smaller belt. He explained that there is a problem with using a smaller belt and he wants the old pulley/clutch put on the new compressor. He said he told me before I did any work about the pulley and Im sure he did (I have a horrible memory). Out of all the cars Iv worked on Iv never had a problem with the compressor having a smaller pulley on it. But Iv never worked on an NSX. Is there something specific about an NSX that will be affected by the smaller pulley?Other than the compressor will spin slightly faster?

Yeah Iv heard that from the owner. I explained that I didnt think it was going to make a difference other than the compressor spinning slightly faster and having to get a new belt.

I don't think it's a good idea to let it spin faster than stock. Some people with the same problem swapped the pulley which should be easy.

Has anyone installed a compressor with the new pulley. According to any dealer you should never install any parts other than OEM:rolleyes: . I know its gonna spin faster and end up cycling quicker than it did stock. I was just wondering if there's an exact reason he came thinks it wont work. He said something about "an engine accessories determine rpm" which Iv never heard. I understand with fewer accessories there's less rotating mass so the engine can rev faster and higher but when its such a small difference, and the fact that theres other more parasitic accessories, that it will make that much of a difference.

I don't know about the diameter change but due to higher revs/spinning faster the parts won't last as long as with the correct pulley. It's a big exaggeration I know but it just looks like reving the engine to 10k.

I wouldn't be bothered about the pulley size as long as you take a bigger one. That's a efficient trick to save fuel (on the daily driver primarly). Honda knows what they did, experimenting with pulley is an advanced topic.

It is not a "new" pulley, is the WRONG pulley.

Yes, it will spin a bit faster at idle....and it can spin a LOT faster at the higher RPMs. What is there a ~1000 RPM difference in max RPM of the integra vs the NSX (?) and you want to exacerbate that with a smaller pulley???

The best tactic would be to get the old pulley out of the core pile at the supplier and install it on the current compressor.

I would be a very unhappy customer with the lack of attention to detail in this regard. Even if you have to lose money on the job by sourcing the proper pulley: chalk it up to education costs and you'll never do it again.

Drew

Why even speculate, just put the origunal pulley on. If you look at the difference in pulley diameter at 8K rpm, the rotational speed may be quite
different.

I would think the compressor has a redline, like any other recipricating mass device. Will you cross it w/smaller pulley is the question, and the answer would be a guess at best, unless you can find specs of the compressor.

There are very few "rebuilt" NSX compressors, but a boatload of Integra rebuilds out there. It is the exact same compressor with a different pulley assembly.

Good Luck,
LarryB

I still have the old compressor with old pulley on it. I just didnt want to have to drop the compressor again. Oh well. I think it will give the customer peace of mind if I install the old pulley on it. BTW-Im kind of leary about reinstalling a 15y/o clutch/pulley. Anyone had any problems when swaping the old compressor. How much does a new CORRECT pulley/clutch cost?And where to buy?
I figured if I could get some good info about the pulley I would either buy a belt and eat the cost of the belt or suck it up and swap the old pulley on it. Looks like Im gonna drop the compressor and swap the old pulley. If at nothing else at least I wont have to worry about it later and neither will he.
Thanks for all the help so far.

Clutch Set 38900-PR7-003 219.73 (Discount Prices)
Stator Set 38924-PR7-A01 83.87

OEM/Dealer Items

The Clutch Set is w/pulley, Stator is the winding, you probably do not need that.

Call JR at Ray Laks Acura 1-888-729-5257 25% off List, tell them Larry sent you:).

HTH,
LarryB

I've been looking into replacement compressors and it seems taht most have the 5.07" diameter pulley rather than the 5.75" NSX one.

I'm giving up on the second hand source searching and will see if a dealer in the USA will ship me a clutch set over. Larry says $200 over here... dealers in the UK charge nearly $1000:confused: for exactly the same part!

Anyway, I thought I'd add my findings to hopefully help people in the future.

Luke

Back