• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Replacing A/C Compressor Oil

As part of my big refresh project, I'm completely replacing the entire A/C system. I am using new condensers, new receiver/drier, new evap and new compressor. I'm also removing all of the A/C lines to replace the original smashed R12 o-rings with proper ones for the R134a spec. Other A/C threads say you should measure how much oil comes out of the system and replace that amount in the new compressor. But, I've removed the entire system and am starting fresh. Is it proper for me to connect the entire system dry and have an A/C shop evacuate the system, then fill with the correct amount of oil and refrigerant? I can't imagine anywhere where there would be residual compressor oil left... Or, should I pre-fill the compressor with the specified amount of oil (160 mL of ND-Oil 8 according to the 97 service manual) before connecting the system? [MENTION=25737]Kaz-kzukNA1[/MENTION]

Hi, Honcho.

If you are replacing the compressor with a new one AND replacing the R&L condensers/receiver/evapo at the same time, there is no need adjusting the amount of new compressor oil.
Just make sure to flush through all of the remaining pipes/hoses.
This will remove any contamination including the old oil left inside the parts being re-used.

Almost all OEM/aftermarket new compressors are delivered with the correct total system amount of specific oil pre-filled.

The compressor oil travels through the entire system via refrigerant while the compressor is engaged so some amount won't return to the compressor and always stays within the system.
This is the reason why you would adjust (add/remove) the amount of oil depending on which parts are being replaced AND re-used.

Unfortunately, the way the workshop manual is written is bit confusing.

If using Denso aftermarket compressor, there are several different approaches you can take so use this chart for the selection;
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-newer/page2?p=1996629&viewfull=1#post1996629

Just make sure to keep the combination of the pulley offset and the bracket;
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-newer/page2?p=1996800&viewfull=1#post1996800

Don't forget to replace the schrader valve at the service port.
Don't know whether your system was already retro-fitted to R134a or not but I'm not the fan of using the service port adaptor included in the Honda/Acura kit.
Instead, I always used the one from Denso.

Kaz

Hi, Honcho.

If you are replacing the compressor with a new one AND replacing the R&L condensers/receiver/evapo at the same time, there is no need adjusting the amount of new compressor oil.
Just make sure to flush through all of the remaining pipes/hoses.
This will remove any contamination including the old oil left inside the parts being re-used.

Almost all OEM/aftermarket new compressors are delivered with the correct total system amount of specific oil pre-filled.

The compressor oil travels through the entire system via refrigerant while the compressor is engaged so some amount won't return to the compressor and always stays within the system.
This is the reason why you would adjust (add/remove) the amount of oil depending on which parts are being replaced AND re-used.

Unfortunately, the way the workshop manual is written is bit confusing.

If using Denso aftermarket compressor, there are several different approaches you can take so use this chart for the selection;
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-newer/page2?p=1996629&viewfull=1#post1996629

Just make sure to keep the combination of the pulley offset and the bracket;
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-newer/page2?p=1996800&viewfull=1#post1996800

Don't forget to replace the schrader valve at the service port.
Don't know whether your system was already retro-fitted to R134a or not but I'm not the fan of using the service port adaptor included in the Honda/Acura kit.
Instead, I always used the one from Denso.

Kaz

Thanks Kaz. My system was retrofitted to R134a, so I have the Honda service port adapter.

Back