• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Reverse osmosis car wash?

Hey guys n gals,

My sister just moved into a new house that had an under the sink R/O system that she didn't want. I took it thinking I could use it to to some how hook up to my hose and wash my car spot free, but I have no clue how to hook it up or even if the idea is feasible. Can I just go to home depot and get some adapters and have it work? Has anybody tried this before? Am I just cheaping out and should I just get this from costco? http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11201522&search=car+wash&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=car+wash&Ntt=car+wash&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1 Any ideas? Thanks.

-Joe

The capacity of the tank will probably only allow you to wash one panel if anything.

Better just use it for drinking water and look for a water softener if you really want soft water to wash your cars.

My biggest concern with the under the sink R/O system is the output. Most of those systems are designed for releasing drinking water.. so one glass at a time. The amount of water required to wash a car is like 10,00000x that.

Also, make sure the sink R/O system does a good job of de-ionizing the water and not just particle purification before taking on the task of trying to make it work.

I have an under-the-sink type R/O unit as well, but added a second pressure tank to it so I get more water at once. I wash my car using normal tap water, then pour some R/O water over it as a final rinse. Haven't had a watermark since, and my car's black!

Just let it drip dry, mark free.

Works great.

We don't have Costco!!:frown: I wish we did.

Oops.... didn't see his LINK!! I is a DUMBA$$!

Very interesting Joe. I need to fix my water softener and put a tap on it so I can wash my NSX at home again. I loved being able to use soft water to wash my NSX at my last house. I wonder how this de-ionizing system compares. If you do get it please let us know. My only concern would be the availability and cost of those cartridges.

Cheaper on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/DI-120-Cr-Spotless-Water-System/dp/B0056HDCUM

Note the review that says "works fine except on black"...which is what the OP has.

Also, 12-14 washes out of the filter material which runs $45 per refill for the single 20" filter doesn't seem that economical to me. I think I'd go with the Watts Premier water softener that I saw at Costco for $399 or less.

Last edited:
Back