• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Review of the Angus AP-X exhaust system

Hello fellow nsx'rs,

I may be going overboard with my reviews on almost every product I buy, but since we cannot buy shit for our cars on Amazon, it is always helpful reviewing parts for our cars. Everyone wants to review parts prior to buying...
Todays review is for the AP-X version 1 exhaust.

I bought one of these during Wil's Spring sale. He was very willing to communicate prior to and after the sale.
The exhaust took a little bit of time to get to me but that's fine. It had to go through customs.
Once the package arrived everything looked great. A few minor imperfections here and there but I know this is hand made and I did my home work prior to purchase. I wanted sound to my specific tastes and not shiny parts I would never see that discolor anyway after a few hundred miles.

So I jacked up the car and sprayed (Penetrate) a product I use in my line of work in the hvac industry made by Nu-Calgon on the collector/ cat nuts. This stuff is ridiculous for rusted hardware. Previous versions of it were banned in California it works that good. WD 40 is for newbies and worthless... Spray it on and in seconds later, the nuts come right off. Just don't get it on your skin. No wait time to soak into the metal. Off came the old exhaust. It helps to spray the Penetrate on the exhaust hangers as well so they slide off with ease.

Next, bolt on Wil's parts. The awesome thing about this exhaust was that since it comes in sections, you work your way back and it is actually far easier to bolt up than that 1 single hulking piece of stainless. I started aligning all the pieces. For some reason though, the drivers side exit pipe stuck out further then the passenger side. I had everything aligned up to the mufflers but for some reason, coming out of the x pipe, the drivers muffler was way off. I took a deep breathe, figured I did something wrong, looked at it again, and swore the outlet was crooked from purchase. As I lay on the floor of the garage I think, oh well Angus is good for it, maybe I just got a slightly warped "T" pipe. I then call Wil who gave me his phone number prior to buying.
There was no answer. Five minutes later, Wil calls me back. I advise him of the issue in a calm manner and he claimed the "T" pipe was upside down. I thought, okay it looks identical flipped around. But I give it the OK and flip it. What do ya know, everything lines up perfectly now. The exhaust is bolted on , aligned, and fits like a glove thanks to the design which allows infinite adjustment.

On to the start up/ test drive. At first start, I was a little weary due to switching up from an obnoxiously loud taitec jgtc exhaust. The tone here was much more subdued, much more livable, and at idle purred like a cat. The test drive went great. I almost never had a time when I could roll down the windows and listen to music clearly. But,,,,, if I got on the gas, the supercharger would wake this exhaust up. Freeway cursing at 3500 rpm's was buttery smooth. Something I never had with the taitec jgtc. The taitec exhaust, I probably shouldn't sell. It is awesome.I will miss it dearly. But it comes with a price. Just like the AP-X exhaust. Sacrifice no drone during normal driving for a lessly aggressive tone. All in all, I received exactly what I was looking for thanks to other reviews that prime members had posted. This exhaust fits my needs and it is a more grown up/ mature sound. Never raspy, does not drone during cruising, and is hand made like our cars. If your looking for the loudest shit on the block, this is not it... If you want a great sounding exhaust from idle to redline without police attention, this exhaust is for you! PS: it isn't super quiet on full throttle either. It's got bite. It is just tame when you need it while taking wifey out to dinner.

Thank you Wil, awesome product, awesome customer service, awesome member of the community.
AJ.

Back