• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Road and Track: GT-R Spanks ZO 911T

LJSB

Suspended
road-cover.jpg

Anyone else see this? I guess front engine may be the trend from Japan.
Too bad. I had hope the ASC was going to be dumped and back to id-engine. Not a good sign for us mid-engine lovers but this GT-R looks to be a monster.

Two "kings of the hill", the Z06 & 911 TT, took 2.02 mins to run a lap on the track and this beast ran it in 1:56 - nearly 6 secs faster! 6 secs means you can't see the Z06 and the Turbo after one lap.

I hate to admit it but this thing is moving the bar to another level!

What's most amazing is that the GT-R weights over 3900 lbs. yet is performing at this level.

Impressive stat's and you have to tip your cap for Nissan for producing that kind of vehicle no matter what the price tag. The fact that it's relatively cheap is even more amazing.

Too bad it's uglier than sin and only comes with a silly, floppy paddle gear box.

Wait till the GT-R Spec V is released!!! They are going head on with ZR1 and GT2!!!

Wait until the aftermarket tuners get their hands on this beast. The 911 and Corvette guys must be in denial right now. Six seconds faster on the track :eek:

I've kept quite on this forum on this topic, unlike on TOV. But, owning a 2006 Legend [your RL] which I have "tracked", convinced me the way to go in the future WAS with SH-AWD. It is the AWD system that is the main difference between the GT-R and single axle drive cars. I realised the advantages of Honda's AWD system long before I had read any reports on the GT-R.

Having tracked the Legend, and felt the advantages of SH-AWD, and how it helped rotate the chassis and generally masked the heavy weight of the car, convinced me that, much as I loved my NSX, SH-AWD was the way of the future. It may not be for everybody :smile: but if you want to be genuinely quick, especially with limited ability, it is the way to go.

And when I recently saw a GT-R in person, even the ASCC looked good!

I agree that Nissan is to be applauded for making this car. In another thread I spoke up and said that Honda should take notice when making the next NSX and give us something that is competitive with the best in the world. I believe that Honda dropped the ball big time on the current NSX by giving it lower power and poorer braking than the best the world had to offer. It's almost as if they got so far into the budget and said "well, I guess all we can afford is 270 hp. Oh well, look how pretty it is." I honestly believe that owners of GTR's for the most part are going to be extremely happy with the car out of the box and that there won't be many modifications made to them.

I agree that Nissan is to be applauded for making this car. In another thread I spoke up and said that Honda should take notice when making the next NSX and give us something that is competitive with the best in the world. I believe that Honda dropped the ball big time on the current NSX by giving it lower power and poorer braking than the best the world had to offer. It's almost as if they got so far into the budget and said "well, I guess all we can afford is 270 hp. Oh well, look how pretty it is." I honestly believe that owners of GTR's for the most part are going to be extremely happy with the car out of the box and that there won't be many modifications made to them.

lol,
so your saying that in 1991 when the nsx came out with 270hp weighing 3100 pounds that it wasnt an impressive car, :confused: i think every article written about the car at that time would disagree with you, it more than gave the ferrari 348 and porsche 911 a run for thier money, in the same way the new gtr "ups" the car for new cars, the nsx "upped" the bar for the cars in 1991 in the same way,

much like the c6 z06 "upped" the bar,

Until recently (2000-ish) Honda has always focused on making solid motors, they admittedly are an engine building company from their generators to the new turbines they developed for their Honda Jet. The rest of their automotive technology was developed from racing technology. Such items as double wish bone dual-independent suspension and the X-bone chassis for the S2000. The problem I see with this is that racing technology doesn't always translate that well to street machines, not even those with limited track use as their intentions.

Street cars have too many compromises to fully utilize all of a race cars benefits. Nissan has finally take into account all of these compromises and the drivers who really pilot these everyday cars and has designed not just a car but a system where the user and can fully utilize the abilities of the car without having ten years of track experience. It's is like designing a F-22 that any person can hop into and fly to 90% or higher of the plane's abilities.

To compete, Honda also has to create a system like they did with the NSX, though they used conventional techniques (suspension tuning, wide gears, and grippy tires) to allow the driver to easily utilize most of the car's potential. Though they used an advanced ABS and decent TC, they were still considered common. It would be a miracle to create such a car without the aid of modern systems such as AWD, and variable ratio dampers, braking, etc... I would prefer the use of RWD, but like aforementioned I am sure a sport tuned SH-AWD would do wonders.

Let's see if Honda is up to the challenge...

Re: Road and Track: GT-R Spanks ZO6 911T

I was just thinking how these Vette and Porsche owners are going to feel getting their noses tweaked by a "Datsun". Deja Vu all over again.

So far I don't care for the looks of the car but in person it may be different. Looks like a Mustang in the rear. Looks awfully big.

Does anyone know if there will there be an Infinity version?

Numbers have no merit until proven at the races. The car with longevitiy wins end of story.

Personally, I think the new GT-R is a much more impressive car than, for example, the last 911 GT3 or Audi R8.
That it is a front engined car doesn't bother me that much. Neither does the fact that it's a AWD car.
I think that with the current power-levels of high-end sportscar, two-wheel drive is just not enough. A friend who has a CTSCed NSX just last Saturday commented on how easy it was to break traction on a corner with the NSX. And that's just with 'only' 400 HP.

The new NSX could still very well be a mid-engined car. It might be just so that a well balanced AWD mid-engined car could still be better than a front-engined car. But one should remember that a S2000 is technically speaking ALSO a mid-engined car.

The SH-AWD system from Honda might actuall do much good to a next-gen NSX. But it would also be nice of course if Honda was able to keep the looks of the old NSX / HSC concept and translate that into the new car.

I still believe that the original NSX-concept is very capable.
Update that with current technology as in lighter materials, something like a fully adaptive SH-AWD system, stronger engine and low weight and if might not be that hard to duplicate the GT-R's performance.

I've kept quite on this forum on this topic, unlike on TOV. But, owning a 2006 Legend [your RL] which I have "tracked", convinced me the way to go in the future WAS with SH-AWD. It is the AWD system that is the main difference between the GT-R and single axle drive cars. I realised the advantages of Honda's AWD system long before I had read any reports on the GT-R.

Having tracked the Legend, and felt the advantages of SH-AWD, and how it helped rotate the chassis and generally masked the heavy weight of the car, convinced me that, much as I loved my NSX, SH-AWD was the way of the future. It may not be for everybody :smile: but if you want to be genuinely quick, especially with limited ability, it is the way to go.

And when I recently saw a GT-R in person, even the ASCC looked good!

SH-AWD is a nice AWD system, but most would agree that the FWD bias of the SH-AWD in the Legend/RL is not as enjoyable. Drive Infiniti's AWD system in the G35xS and you will see it IS RWD until the AWD needs to kick in. The GT-R has an upgraded versis of this AWD system which is what makes it much more fun than a Honda/Acura product with SH-AWD.

That said, a RWD bias SH-AWD would be a nice car, but the GT-R proves what every NSXer has said... Get more power (V6 TT or V8) in the NSX, keep the Mid Engine Layout, and add SH-AWD that is RWD BIAS! and you will have a car that most can't refuse.

BTW Someone said the 911 Turbo is RWD, its AWD as well! and here is the link:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=6594

It also confirms what many have said that the GT-R is doing more then 480hp at the crank...

I really don't care if the GT-R beats everything by minutes. It is an ugly ugly car. Stick a jet engine in an all wheel drive Pinto... I'm not buying it because it looks like hell.

2 wheel drive for me, I want to see the GTR in 2 wheel drive it would be lighter and more challanging to drive. Worst greatest cars r 2 wheel drive, GT2, GT3, Enzo, Carrera gt, Diablo VC, most Fcars, NSX.

In this article they mention the GT-R dusting even the Enzo through the slalom. Wait. What exactly does 'worst greatest cars' mean?

In this article they mention the GT-R dusting even the Enzo through the slalom. Wait. What exactly does 'worst greatest cars' mean?

lol, the Carrera GT has already beaten the Enzo through twisties. This GT2 turbo defeated the GTR by over 23 seconds:biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_fastest_lap_times

6:55 Radical SR8 360 PS/650 kg Michael Vergers 2005-09-28 Video
7:12 Radical SR3 Turbo 320 PS/500 kg Phil Bennett Test Drive 07/03
7:14 Donkervoort D8 RS 398 PS/760 kg Michael Düchting sport auto 11/05
7:15 Edo Porsche GT2 RS 612 PS/1284 kg Patrick Simon 2005-08-04 Video
7:18 Donkervoort D8 RS 370 PS/670 kg Michael Düchting Sport Auto 12/04
7:22 Loaded BMW M3 CSL ~600 PS/1427 kg Richard Göransson 2007-11-05 video incl RG + 30L fuel, MPSC tires, (Sport Auto Lap with 3 overtakes)
7:27.82 Pagani Zonda F Clubsport 650 PS/1230 kg 2007-09 video Semi-wet conditions.
7:28 Porsche Carrera GT 612 PS/1380 kg Walter Röhrl 2004 Autobild 07/04
7:32.02* Porsche 997 GT2 2008 530 PS/1440 kg Walter Röhrl 2007 *manufacturer claim.Motor Authority,
video
Semi-slicks tires.
7:34 Koenigsegg CCR 806 PS/1140 kg Horst von Saurma 2005-10-17 - 2005-10-18 Sport Auto Cold conditions
7:38.54* Nissan GT-R 480 PS/1740 kg Toshio Suzuki 2007-09-24 *manufacturer claim.10/7 Video[10] run flat tires. Semi-wet conditions.

Really?

Have you driven one?

Nope and don't need to.

Save your arguments about how much faster the shifts are with this gearbox than a man can make for someone who cares. To me executing a proper gear change is fundamental to enjoying driving a car. I'm not overly impressed with magazine stat's anyway and frankly, I could care less if it saves me 1 second around the Streets of Willow.

I'm not a race car driver and buy my cars to enjoy on the street. All that techno babble is just that to me... babble.

Besides... it's still not a good looking car.

The 911 and Corvette guys must be in denial right now. Six seconds faster on the track :eek:

Only if they really care how much faster car A is than car B on the track.

The fact is that a well driven Evo IX is every bit as fast, if not faster, than many high end Porsche's, Ferrari's and Lamborghini's (and the NSX) on tight tracks and in magazine 0-60 mph runs. And do you think most owners really care?

The GT-R is one hell of a car... at any price point, let alone what they're asking vis a vis what Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo and Audi are asking but I'm really not sure how many potential 997 Turbo buyers will actually cross shop the GT-R.

Save your arguments about how much faster the shifts are with this gearbox than a man can make for someone who cares. To me executing a proper gear change is fundamental to enjoying driving a car. I'm not overly impressed with magazine stat's anyway and frankly, I could care less if it saves me 1 second around the Streets of Willow.

+1

I can't drive a car good enough to extract those kind of #'s anyhow...I'd much rather enjoy rowing through the gears as I'm out for my Sunday drive....it's just part of the fun!

Originally there were rumors of a 6spd coming out for the GT-R, but I don't know how that would work seeing how the transmission is laid out. I think they'd have to come up with something new (for their fleet)...which they probably won't want to spend the $$ on.

With looks like that, it better go plenty quick.

Its like the butterface in school; popular for one reason only and it wasnt her manners.

Holy crap - 5 seconds quicker per lap is astonishing. Yeah, I agree the GT-R isn't a prom queen but there's a certain attraction in the overall performance and engineering that went into it.

I've seen photos of it in black and it looks good in that color. Other colors, seem palatable...sorta.

Back