• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rolex 24 hour

I really liked the new grandstands at Turn 1.

We sat there for a long time both Saturday and Sunday, daylight hours. I was amazed at how many drivers missed Turn 1, either went wide, missed the turn-in point by a few feet, missed by a LONG way, had to go straight off to get the car under control before turning around, or even spun there.

I know T1 at Daytona is a challenging turn, with drivers having to go deep and try to straighten out the brake zone as much as possible, but it was really interesting to see the various lines. The class leaders almost all trailbraked all the way to the apex, and they all used only half-track just before apexing at the tight section before entering all the way into the infield. Most of the other drivers made a wider entry down near the flag station. I've noticed that in many forms of racing, from autocross to large pro racing, the really fast guys use as little of the track as possible in selected places. Depends on the turn and what follows. Anyways, interesting to watch lines, various types of cars, etc.

Back