• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rotor Options? OEM/Aftermarket

I see a lot of pictures floating around that appear to be Iron rotors that are drilled, versus the flaked effect given off by the carbon ceramic brake upgrade. The only aftermarket rotors I've been able to find, are the Girodisc ones, which seem to be made specifically to downgrade from CC to Iron and are slotted. Did Acura actually make a two-piece cross-drilled iron rotor option for replacement? I have iron rotors myself and I'm looking to increase the cooling when driving around the mountains, but I'm having a really hard time finding many aftermarket brake products for this car other than just doing the CC upgrade which seems cost-prohibitive. Any help would be appreciated :)

Welcome to the site and I hope you are enjoying your car.

I do not believe Acura offered an iron rotor package for cars that came with carboceramics.

My understanding is that to interchange the OEM rotors you have to change the spindles.

The brake options had a weird history. Brembo did not have the iron rotor based brakes ready when the car was launched.

After the initial buzz for the car conked out, there was pressure to be able to get lower MSRP cars.

It took a while before the iron rotors were available and then we saw a bunch of cars with them (I have never seen a breakdown of how many have one or the other).

Im wondering if it is possible to get RED Rotor hats, would look really cool on the NSX

screen_shot_2021-01-18_at_7.19.12_pm.png

going from different brands/styles of iron disc will not affect heating...brake temps are reduced by proper technique and more air to the rotor/caliper...How are you measuring your temps?

going from different brands/styles of iron disc will not affect heating...brake temps are reduced by proper technique and more air to the rotor/caliper...How are you measuring your temps?

Yes and no. Temps per se, you are correct. But having slotted rotors does help hot brake gases escape more evenly and quickly and thus can help mitigate brake fade. Cross-drilled, while not as effective as slotted from what I understand, was mostly designed for weight savings but does also help with gas dispersion. So having a slotted or drilled rotor over a solid iron rotor should help. To what degree? I have no idea. I just feel like I've seen more than a few NSX now that have drilled iron rotors in the same two-piece design as the CC and I'm wondering where they got them. However, this thread is less about the mechanics of braking, and more about what OEM or aftermarket options for rotors are there available for our cars after purchase. Unless a "big brake kit" or Girodisc are truly the only options if we don't want to stick with OEM blank Iron rotors or CC replacements.

Have you tried asking on the FB owners group..also Chris Wilson at SOS might have some info on options...

May I suggest as an alternative a quasi carbon ceramic drilled two piece rotor. Racingbrake.com has a carbon ceramic replacement for iron rotors that is a direct fit no modification required that includes front and rear two piece ceramic rotors (modified) plus the brake pads front and rear for approximately $10k. That is a great price and may improve braking and fading. Racing brake had been around for a long time. I used their two piece iron rotors on my 2001 NSX which included iron hangers that resulted in a better braking experience while still maintaining the stock calipers and brake fluid dispersement front to back.

https://racingbrake.com/ACU-CRK-380.360/

Last edited:
The Acura iron rotors will fit on cars with CCB if you want to go that way. I just put factory CCB and pads on my 2020 with factory iron rotors. Took a few hours. No issues.

The Acura iron rotors will fit on cars with CCB if you want to go that way. I just put factory CCB and pads on my 2020 with factory iron rotors. Took a few hours. No issues.

That's great to know! I wondered if it was all plug and play or if I'd need different calipers also. Did you get the parts from the dealer?

I didn't get them from the dealer. I picked up the full set for less than you could get them as an option on the car as well as extra pads and an extra set of front rotors. I got them from a guy who tracked his NSX and had a full set of CCBs + extra front and extra pads off Ebay. They are plug and play. You can't use the pad wear sensor, but they go on easily. The swap takes about 45 min per wheel (including removing the rotor). The iron rotors seemed to develop a lot of rust around the axle (most of the time on the swap involved removing the rust left from irons). There is a video on Youtube with how to do it. Very simple. The torq specs are online too. I have them if you need. You could go back to irons just as easily.

I've put a 1,000 miles on CCB. I don't track my car, so I haven't tried them on a track. I did them mostly for weight and brake dust. But my car is a daily driver so I can attest that there are no issues with the swap and they are a direct fit.

I'm waiting for SOS exhaust to come in and Advan GT wheels... My next project.

That's awesome! Thanks for the info! You'll love the Advans. I currently have those on my track Civic Type-R and they look and perform amazing.

That's awesome! Thanks for the info! You'll love the Advans. I currently have those on my track Civic Type-R and they look and perform amazing.

I'm excited about them. I got the dark blue color. I've been waiting on them forever. Science of Speed sourced them from Maikin industries. It's been a long wait for those and the exhaust bits. I'm told the end of August, so I'll post some photos once I have it all together. I've also painting the door handles, emblems, and rear exhaust trim gloss black to match the color used on the front bumper. I think one issue with the 2019+ cars is when they added the color on the front cowel vs. the metallic finish, it sort of broke up the look of the door handles. I tried to source some from the Type S but the dealer couldn't get them. The roof is gloss black as well as the trim pieces, so I'm going to do the door handles and other chrome pieces in the same color. Should all come together at the end of Aug.

The rear rotors are the same between CCB and iron but not the front:
  • CCB front = 380x34mm
  • Iron front = 365x32mm
Both the diameter and thickness (offset) are different, although they may appear to have the same fitment, so unless you also switch the front calipers or the rotor/pad life may be shorten due to the mis-alignment.

RDM2311: I would also really like to go from iron to CCB but remember reading that it simply can't be done as the brake set-up (something to do with the electronics) between the 2 are very different (different calipers, etc). It was good to read that you actually made the switch without any issues. Did the CCB pads fit into the calipers? Did you do the swap at a dealership? Thx for the info.

Back