• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RPM's slow to descend

Weird question but...

Yesterday I took a buddy for a ride and after we returned to the parking garage, he asked me to rev up the motor so he could hear what it sounded like from behind and outside the car.

The car was properly warmed, etc. and I just had the car in neutral and I blipped the throttle.

The rev's climbed as expected but as I blipped the throttle once or twice, the rev's were not "falling" as quickly as one would expect.

I've never noticed this while driving but I thought it was weird.

My car is a 1998. Timing belt, hoses, plugs, wires, yada yada all done in the last 1K miles. Compression check, etc. all very good.

Any ideas? Or is this normal given the OBDII on the car?

There has been a TSB for the U.S. models in '98 regarding this behaviour. Hope your car has the updated ECU. BTW: You can improve this a bit by adjusting the fast idle valve.

FYI, my 97 NSX-T takes about 3 seconds to return to idle from 3,000 rpm.

On my 01 Cobra Mustang, it takes 6 seconds!

NSX-Racer said:
There has been a TSB for the U.S. models in '98 regarding this behaviour. Hope your car has the updated ECU. BTW: You can improve this a bit by adjusting the fast idle valve.

First, thanks for all the responses so far.

Second, and I apologize again for more stupid questions but...

1) How could I tell if the TSB work was done?
2) If it wasn't (and I'm now the third owner of a car that is long out of warranty), would Honda/Acura still be willing to do the fix?
3) If not, would a reputable place (say Autowave) be able to do this?

Thanks in advance again.

Back