• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Run flat tire question

Run flat tires, can you fix them?

Can you patch a run-flat tire?
Kost says NO and Firestone says Yes,but requires special certification.
Need info. Thanks.

OK, I posted a thread on the tire and wheel forum about run flat tire and noone has an answer for me yet, so I will try it here in the general forum.
Can you patch or plug a run flat tire? Kost said I can not and have to buy a new one. Firestone said a specially certified technician is need. The Toyota service guy said just plug it. The BMW service tech said never.

What is the answer?

Depends on where the hole is and how large. If the hole is on the sidewall, forget about it. If it is on the tread area and not closer than 1/2 inch from the sidewall, then yes, it can be fixed if the hole is just from a nail or small screw. What I would do is use a plug-patch. There are exactly that, a combination of the two and look a little like a mushroom. Besides buying a new tire, that is the best way to go IMO.

good luck

Re: Run flat tires, can you fix them?

There are different systems of run flat tires (e.g. RSC and PAX) - I'm pretty sure that the fixing rules are different for the systems and brands, so no wonder you get different infos.

Re: Run flat tires, can you fix them?

NSX-Racer said:
There are different systems of run flat tires (e.g. RSC and PAX) - I'm pretty sure that the fixing rules are different for the systems and brands, so no wonder you get different infos.

Can you tell me the difference?I know very little on the topic.
BTW, I email Dunlop and they said it should be repaired by a certified tech which I did this past weekend. Last see it the repair job lasts.

Back