• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RYU's "properly molested" NSX build thread

I'm looking for a DBW pedal, what pedal are you using?

Gary
I'm using a Pedal Position Sensor from an 08 Acura TSX, but the spring tension is just too soft. I have to spend time modifying it to make it stiffer. It's so soft that when you're trying to hold a perfect pedal position with your foot it will bounce around in during bumpy terrain. It's annoying during those moments.

I'll probably go with the OEM 95+ NSX pedal setup.

This is going to be the updates of updates. Let's post some numbers.

3.6L ITB with HF cats
Red Line: Open Trumpets: 341wHP/288lb-ft
Green Line: CF Airbox installed 331wHP/271lb-ft

Notice the smoothed out torque curve and removal of that peaky torque dip/spike at VTEC. Whomever said the airbox robs a lot of power was wrong. The problem is the exhaust restriction. The cool part also is the flat torque curve itself. Car revs super peppy, pretty much like a race motor. The not cool part.. can't hold idle very well but I'll eventually fix that. I have ideas. Another not cool part, the top of the power curve drops after 7k. It's not the airbox restriction. It's the exhaust restriction.

Dyno conditions: 60-65F ambient. Dynapack known to be a heartbreaker. Safe to say this is a 350whp motor for bragging purposes and 400hp to the crank. It's a round easy number I can remember LOL

Next Steps:
* Engine still has some issues so unfortunately it needs to come out.
* While it's out we're going to install some Toda cams of my own spec
* Idle control with the AEM and DBW ITBs pretty much suck. Need to install an IACV and see how that does.

AMWts8AnsIBM3mGMPNCMDJo4k0EQxMspUG6M3AxLVehosMDMn1zr16MxR7FM8YD13q-11CHlCT4jx_HYR3GhBd-HhRX_Plw1jZ0zMalt0ZCCHxH2yUKLn8YWV55fUY4bs70eY0cp6uFxbXayB7zJDhlMqIu0uMfsHoTaHcphAbL-nD1-o0d6kQUgN6TnAzAqB3Jqrpo4nsqJXtmJPku9SXJfkYZZolgGNLBL_nGERKfb0l2NUGglaASpPo-XLC2V-O1Jg0_SoBrZBBs57n0AlKzKl3xAp9sYpAMxTOHkNZ2uDSSdA4YMoauliEPfK4tuBBtYikklo5yTfY7_AJhxNFbJ6X1h8ykm2Pml1HurQSVrSCflv05PaIIewJOt1H4pAwdzdUKl9ilGDe8-IAQGiKrx4qqR1k-UQrdSleVlsNz4YV0fhb_LfyTkeQR9FSiuYZyjne0Ppkhq7eq1wQK_Mu-XfEF8NmNyLGKNhj-byEjGNZS-PBWaLeRxZ1AfVGLcW81vyo59zqNYu8e8BqAjbliIv4-FyVEsG3COjmFZn3qxdXa2C14OriSYnXcO9bQSKHbzZciwRsN0f4rQFiitNdbqcEhsj3vfkshe62b4RET4yJ4W2EEWlKG3pdQaps6mrGd9mpSvmrAPV4dsoz--gwOARkBYvZpB-VJGAndjY6Q1pmNKe6vtpQ1PwTZYVEceqx_87VH1SkbprQpZgZiOgQDQLhR-gsIPJsIWWSxV4s-tqvtY3TwIXZ1i5Vxe9dVxBhRoQFj3S35dnB-C5tfMYUaseyszdGgCAQqCESYIIoohm0ZwUZMd5L40UH-qZDmSjmiMcbCtdH-Z5a67aqvo6B-2sxHjjfbcMvTFkjsP1syDXbXnC32jpzf4BEw2cCsgOs8IL2I07Kh7a76Ku3ykckgUoojgaksATI1iN9wnVRKq0uTRY1cM8ijGupU-12PV4XhIqvNS_RtM0KAtu_8H5Fslfac55kFo3TEf6VTlyxP4xSzXM2KF0hAM2fdbDCJKi5WY6MYBmt_xUROq3Q7OoaaJg85-22BHiK1NcBxG9muaQqF6_Tjoz8rE5crsqbIXhAG-XZx3pJN1XfU5PtYlZx8xDoOU6l3mKEdhoAhlGV2VK0FEd8cSwL7H9x5XdqkCP-U0IpaRw5gAvrfUs2j3FFQ=w2280-h1716-no

Amazing work. As to the exhaust, if you think about it the Le Mans GT2 engines used massive headers (huge collectors) running into straight pipes and exiting out the center bumper. That's probably where they found that extra 20-30 hp at 9,000+ rpm.

Amazing work. As to the exhaust, if you think about it the Le Mans GT2 engines used massive headers (huge collectors) running into straight pipes and exiting out the center bumper. That's probably where they found that extra 20-30 hp at 9,000+ rpm.
I reckon you're right. It's a lot of extra expense for that part of the RPM i'm rarely at so i'm going to let it simmer until I get super bored again.

Right now... the DBW tuning is kicking my ass. It's just not quite feeling how it should. Still have ideas to try so i'm not going back to the cable yet!.

Too early to tell at this point. I need to find some more spare time to tune the pedal to throttle body mapping in the AEM. The AEM doesn't seem to be so good at these things but too early to tell.
Time for Haltech ;)

@Gary W & @blaketjones

I was reading @stuntman's latest article and was reminded of my lack of updates here. In the last few weeks I disabled my DBW and went back to good old cable throttle. There were 2 main reasons why I did this.

1. Pedal Feel was too soft - If you noticed in the video I ran a pedal position sensor at the end of the OEM 91-94 throttle cable. Initially I thought this would feel more or less the same since i've driven a TSX (my brother has one) and the throttle pedal pressure was fine. That did not translate at all in my NSX. The throttle pedal was far far too soft and it was nearly impossible to get any feedback from the throttle pedal - I HATED IT. Billy did it the right way and incorporated the stock NSX 95+ throttle pedal itself and PPS.

2. Calibration of the DBW with the AEM Infinity was lacking - I'm still unsure on this part but my main goal for converting to DBW was to take full control of the PPS calibration to the DBW motor. I wanted to create my own pedal ramp map. As you guys may know ITBs can be very sensitive on initial tip in. At tip in a 3% throttle opening is a lot of air. In a cable driven setup you can mitigate that through some compromise via a progressive elliptically shaped bellcrank. With a DBW, in theory, you can create your own progressivity curve where, for example, a 3% pedal position can be as little as perhaps 0.5% throttle opening. Well, I lost patience trying to set this up. I played with the Infinity DBW tables for hours and really couldn't get to a happy compromise.

It was around this time I was brainstorming with @illwillem and he helped me think through better how to add more progressivity in the cable driven linkages. So that's where i'm at today. The throttle feels pretty good - not perfect but enough to make me happy, which is a tall order these days.

I will tackle the DBW ITB setup another day. I know it can be done, but the ITB itself in a V style motor adds a whole order of magnitude in complexity. Getting both banks to balance is a tricky tight rope act especially the first time you do it. Now I can balance my ITBs in 30 mins which I check at every oil change or sooner.

Back