• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

scarce parts

I saw a wrecked car on ebay for a little over 14k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991...41k-MILES_W0QQitemZ200219448629QQcmdZViewItem

And I am beginning to wonder if it is worth getting a salvaged vehicle at a good price for parts. Assuming the engine and transmission are in good condition I would assume that those parts alone are with 14k(Please correct me if I am wrong). Although the car on ebay would not be of use to me since I have an automatic, do we need to start collecting and storing parts? I know based on the build quality that the engine should be able to last atleast 250K if it is properly maintained. But you never know, flukish events do happen. I think I read somewhere that parts will be scarce especially since the car is no longer in production and that some members are actually already storing parts. Is this recommended, for those of us that plan on keeping the car for a long time?

the engines go for 3-5 K and the tranny for about 1-2K...so that is far from your 14K....

people try abd do this but it seems as you add it all up, factor your time, your break even at best...

Thanks for the info. I use www.acuraoemparts.com as a gauge for pricing but I guess their prices significantly higher since the part are new. Do you know of a site I can bookmark for used parts?
Parts volume is too small and prices are too variable to come up with any kind of numbers.

Used parts sell for a small fraction of the cost of new parts, and that fraction is all a function of supply and demand. A used set of '91-93 wheels may sell for 5-10 percent of the new cost ($200-500 vs $4-5K), '94-01 wheels for 20 percent. A used 3.0-liter engine may sell for 20-30 percent ($4-6K vs $18-20K). A used Comptech supercharger may sell for up to 50 percent. So it all depends.

the engines go for 3-5 K and the tranny for about 1-2K...so that is far from your 14K....

people try abd do this but it seems as you add it all up, factor your time, your break even at best...

For a good plug and play motor multiply your estimates by 2:wink:

Back