• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SC'd NSXs compete in One Lap of America

Many of you may have been following the exploits of 2 NSXs that recently competed in the OLOA (see track talk). Just FYI for interested parties, both of those cars were configured with:
OE spec 3.0L motors (stock heads and internals)
Basch Boost based Supercharger packages
Novi 2000 blowers, 13+psi peak boost
Large air-to-air intercoolers
oversize injectors and fuel pumps
AEM engine management
and quite a few other tweaks and custom bits. While the 2 entries were not identical, they were very similar and each made over 450rwhp, and were driven 3,500 street miles and put through 20 track events (brief timed sessions at each track). Both cars showed great strength at times, and also suffered DNFs for various reasons, none of which was SC related (although maybe you could say that blowing up a tranny is SC related!)

One thing for sure, an NSX would be hard pressed to be competitive in an NA configuration in this format.

How much of it was power? The Z06 was pushing a little over 500rwhp from the posts on Z06vette.com. Without the DNF's a top 6 finish was definately in the works. It would be interesting to see what some 525rwhp NSX's could do without the gremlins that the cars entered had to deal with.

Great job again BTW.

Jasil said:
It would be interesting to see what some 525rwhp NSX's could do without the gremlins that the cars entered had to deal with.

Great job again BTW.

...it would be interesting to see a 525rwhp NSX that didn't have any gremlins! Every highly modded high HP NSX I've seen requires constant care and feeding...

RacerX-21 said:
I don’t think this would be possible… But then again… Didn’t I pass your CTSC in a Miata? :smile:

About 5 or 6 years ago, Enrique Thompson was visiting from Panama on the weekend of our Battle of the Superchargers event. (was basically a CT vs GM thing since BBSC was not available then) The day before the races, we took him to get checked out by NASA at Firebird main track. I lent him my Mom's 4 dr Integra auto (seemed safer than my 95 Legend or my NSX which was occupied at the time, by me) and he icked my A--, and everyone elses too!!

Just shows to go ya, about skill vs hp.

MB

Skill vs Parts

Agree that driver technique vs HP is paramount to lap times.

HOWEVER

Why would a crank pulley on a BBSC fail? :eek: Is this the all-aluminum hub or an OEM balancer that has been modified? Glad I did the latter. :wink:

Re: Skill vs Parts

AndyVecsey said:
Agree that driver technique vs HP is paramount to lap times.

HOWEVER

Why would a crank pulley on a BBSC fail? :eek: Is this the all-aluminum hub or an OEM balancer that has been modified? Glad I did the latter. :wink:

It was a modified OEM balancer.

The failure was on a machined 6-rib pulley fitted to an OE balancer. The pulley had multiple fractures around it's circumference and was badly distorted. After it went to pieces at the drag strip, breaking a belt, it chewed up 2 more belts on the low speed 50 mile limp to get to a service location. We replaced it with the billet aluminum one-piece BBSC pulley and had no further problems...

the nsxnut said:
We replaced it with the billet aluminum one-piece BBSC pulley and had no further problems...

Mark is now smiling. :smile:

Oh Mother Honda, how could you possibly design a "flawed" harmonic balancer? Well, she didn't.

Oh Step-Mother Comptech, how could you possibly design a "flawed" pulley?

Actually, who's modification was it because my CT-modified balancer presented no problems at all?

RacerX-21 said:
I don’t think this would be possible… But then again… Didn’t I pass your CTSC in a Miata? :smile:

Roooobbbbb....that's a LOW BLOW
You're gonna pay for that! :biggrin:

You did pass me in the pouring rain...I was driving extra conervative since it doesn't cost me $10 to replace my front-end. Once the track was dry, on Sunday, and I put on my track tires, I do not believe I gave a single point by the entire day. :smile:

Yes, I remember the facts… You were flying in the dry, and if I remember correctly you also changed to better tires.
I apologize, but I was offended that someone could think that Peter was a better driver… maybe better then Andrie :biggrin:
A little trash talking in case I can get to OTC.

RacerX-21 said:
...I was offended that someone could think that Peter was a better driver…

Sorry buddy...my comment wasn't aimed at you at all.
And I should remember that Peter never helped me install any mods to my NSX! :biggrin:

Rob,

bring it on :) . OTC could definitely use sombody like you. Although my appearance in OTC this year still questionable (due to racing schedule), I hope lots of people will enroll. It is a fun event, and they are in danger of cancelling. Those that are still on the fence better decide soon.

Andrie Hartanto said:
Rob,

bring it on :) . OTC could definitely use sombody like you. Although my appearance in OTC this year still questionable (due to racing schedule), I hope lots of people will enroll. It is a fun event, and they are in danger of cancelling. Those that are still on the fence better decide soon.

The event sounds fun but the weather will be unbearable at that time of year. Otherwise I'd be all over it.

Mark911 said:
The event sounds fun but the weather will be unbearable at that time of year. Otherwise I'd be all over it.

What better test of a well engineered car? Besides, if you're fast you'll get your FTD during the first session in the morning when it's cool and either be hangin gout in the pits with a drink or on the way to the next track. :)

It is hot in august, but it's not *that* hot!

I have a ton of respect for you Mark, but come on.. there has to be a better excuse than the heat! :-D

And to stop from completely derailing this thread:

Did you guys in the OLA run race gas or pump gas w/ those OEM motors @ 13psi? Did you guys build your own intercooler, where did you mount it? Those OEM motors had the original pistons in them rite.. ? :)

Sounds like you guys had fun, even with the problems, wish I was there!

-mike

mikeh said:
Did you guys in the OLA run race gas or pump gas w/ those OEM motors @ 13psi? Did you guys build your own intercooler, where did you mount it? Those OEM motors had the original pistons in them rite.. ? :)

Sounds like you guys had fun, even with the problems, wish I was there!

-mike
Hi Mike,

We used pump gas-

The after coolers were assembled independently. I purchased the largest one that would fit and plumbed it with aluminum tubing. Mike has awesome looking carbon fiber tubing.

For Road racing I would suggest using Water to air with a separate water system and a separate heat exchanger.

I will post pictures of the two One Lap variations, and the water variation from my old WC car.

Both cars used OE engines and pistons.

Fun… difficult, but I learned how to make things smoother for future years.

Here’s pictures http://www.dalmotorsports.com/OLAgallery.asp

Mike, add a shot of your engine.

Attachments

• Hatch2.jpg
    Hatch2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Hatch3.jpg
    Hatch3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 268
RacerX-21 said:
Andy, what car is in your future?

Hi Rob - first choice is an NSX white coupe with red B-Bo's, Tecno's again but this time a large turbo and an even larger aftercooler.

However, after drooling over the video of the 580 HP Golf, Chris and I were talking just this morning how "relatively inexpensive" that would be for a track rat.

Back