• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Science of Speed Billet Clutch System Review

Greetings members of NSXPrime,

Intro:
I wanted to write about my experiences with the Science of Speed billet clutch system that I had installed in my 1991 Black / Ivory NSX.

( SoS Billet Clutch System )

Background:
For the past 3k miles, I've had progressively worsening clutch slip. I first noticed it during spirited acceleration when shifting from first to second gear, but it gradually worsened to the point that even during 5th gear 30 – 40% throttle I'd experience slip. For those of you who aren't familiar with a slipping clutch, it goes something like this. Starting at a high gear / low RPM cruise (something like 5th gear / 2500 RPM), aggressively depress the accelerator and hold it. The engine will rev up quickly, then RPMs will fall as the clutch tries to fully engage. Then after full engagement, the car will accelerate proportional to the gradual rise in RPM.

The previous clutch was a CompTech Powergrip Stage 2. The clutch pressure was probably ~ 70-75 lbs, with progressive uptake and smooth engagement, but it was by no means an easy car to drive in heavy traffic. My left leg felt like it was getting a Cross-Fit exercise session!

I dug through NSXPrime but had a hard time finding what I was looking for. I wanted to build a daily drivable clutch that is lighter than stock but designed to take more torque than the stock '91 system. After reading the excellent result of cptnsx's SoS Supercharger system with Laminova intercooler ( cptnsx's review ), I dug around SoS to look for a clutch and installation. As with many NSX fanatics, I'm interested in the total package, not only the hardware. I guess I was searching the Holy Grail of the perfect product, installed by expert mechanics, that care about their customers and cater to the NSX community.

From the start, I knew I had found a good shop. First of all, Chris is a consummate professional. Instead of pushing a product onto a customer, he asked what my likes, dislikes and end goal was. After much discussion and specification comparison, I made arrangements to drop off the vehicle as the development test-bed for the first SoS clutch install. I drove the vehicle down from the Vegas area and delivered it to Chris in Tempe, AZ. He was even nice enough to meet me on Saturday.

I had a brief tour of the old shop and looked at the clutch that was to be installed. The flywheel felt feathery in my hands, the the machining of the metal was impeccable, and balanced flywheel an automotive “objet d'art”. With a confident and hopeful mind, I left the shop with my family for some vacation in the greater Phoenix area.

Install:
The initial install took approximately 3 weeks. I understood that this would be a developmental process since the parts were being machined and fitted. Some of the delays were avoided since SoS has a transmission, bell housing and engine test bed to check for fitment issues. Since the original clutch housing didn't install cleanly, Chris informed me that he would send the housing back to get it re-CNC'ed and upgraded it to a billet part (instead of the original cast metal). Now, it could have been very simple for an unscrupulous mechanic to grind down some of the parts with a Dremel or a belt sander, but that is not how Chris and SoS operate. They kept me informed of all the details and reasons for delays during the install. Although it took 3 weeks for the parts to be properly fitted and tested, the excellent communication made is very tolerable.
After the installation, Chris took the vehicle for a test drive to ensure that the system was fully operational. And from the clutch function standpoint, it passed with flying colors. He noticed subtle noises that my tin ears had not pick up before and was able to diagnose some problems. They were quickly able to fix the problem and documented exactly what they were doing and why.

Driving Impression:
I've driven ~400 miles since the new clutch, but 80% of that was the drive back to Vegas. The clutch burn-in smell seems to be going away as I drive it around the city some more. The clutch engagement is smooth at ~ 40 lbs, very similar to stock set-up and much much lighter than the CompTech system it replaced. The clutch starts to engage at 25% off from the floor and is fully engaged relatively quickly. With it's higher torque rating and lighter flywheel, the shifts are a bit more abrupt <3500 RPM, but shifts >4000 RPM are heavenly. The lighter weight flywheel definitely helps in throttle response and rev-matching during heel-toe down-shifts as well.
Owners should note that at a stop and with the clutch depressed, clutch chatter is slightly audible, but it is barely noticeable in my NSX with CompTech header and exhaust. A friend who is an avid Porsche and Maserati fan couldn't believe how well if shifted and handled, and did not say anything about clutch chatter. ***Edit: Spoke to Chris last night who confirmed that the new clutch system will incorporate an assembly harness that will eliminate the clatter in the retail version, and photos of the new billet clutch cover attached***. For a performance clutch that can handle mild to moderate boost, it hits the sweet-spot in performance<>comfort equation. My vehicle is now definitely daily drivable.

Conclusion:
In business or management classes, when they talk about giving a customer above and beyond what they expect, they should use SoS and Chris as an example. Communication was exemplary. The attention to detail and treating the NSX as if it was their own and taking the time to do things right was a breath of fresh air in the era of poor service and worse workmanship. Here's a prime example: Due to the delays of getting the part properly fitted, I had to eat a flight from LV to Phoenix, but Chris even set me up with a free ticket when the time came to pick up the vehicle.
The SoS billet cluch is an industrial/automotive piece of art. Functional, well built and higher performance capacity than the original in every way. But as much as this is a review of the clutch system, it is a testament to the folks at SoS, especially Chris for developing a great product and supporting the NSX community. Their expertise, experience and customer service will definitely have me coming back to them for the next hit of my NSX modification crack-pipe.

I will periodically update the post with mileage, driving characteristics, track impressions, etc.
Please feel free to ask me questions, I will try to answer them as best as I can, if I don't know, I'm sure Chris and the crew at SoS can clarify.

Cheers,

Attachments

• Clutch3.jpg
    Clutch3.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 257
  • Clutch4.jpg
    Clutch4.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 262
  • Clutch5.jpg
    Clutch5.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 291
  • Clutch7.jpg
    Clutch7.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 262
  • Clutch8.jpg
    Clutch8.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 250
  • Clutch9.jpg
    Clutch9.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 285
  • Clutch10.jpg
    Clutch10.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 257
  • billetsportclutch_800.jpg
    billetsportclutch_800.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Thanks for the comprehensive write up, i'll follow this with interest. SOS do have great customer service from my experience.:smile:

Glad it's working so well. That's a great looking shop with all those NSXs in there. Thanks for the post!

hi Max --

Thank you for your post and review. As you may have gathered, Max volunteered his NSX for the final fitment of our Billet Sport Clutch earlier this year. Based on these tests, the clutch is now includes a hard anodized billet aluminum pressure plate cover which allowed us to clear the starter (a problem we found with the prototype). We also added a strap design that allows us to keep the pressure plate friction surface in place to eliminate the slight noise that Max mentioned. Thanks again for working with us Max, and glad to hear you're happy with the result.

This clutch has been a long time in the works, and we're glad to have it now available. This is finally the answer to NSX owners asking now for a clutch with OEM like pedal pressure with the capacity to handle either stock cars all the way to most forced induction (supercharged/turbocharged) NSXes making up to 475+ wheel horsepower.

Here are some photos of the production clutch we sell:

billetsportclutch_800.jpg

billetsportclutchapart_800.jpg

Chris et al,

I can not thank you enough for the service which you (and everyone who works at Science of Speed) provides to NSX owners. Max's post only confirms what I have experienced when dealing with your company...top notch customer service, great products, expert advice, and most importantly, honesty.

SO last week I purchased this FINE clutch and had it delivered within two days. (Thanks Brian for helping me out with the quick sale! YOU DA MAN!) I can say by far that the customer service that Science of Speed has given me for the past few years has been top notch. Never had I needed to think twice from buying from SOS except with other things that they didn't offer. So with that said, the new SOS Billet Clutch has been an outstanding piece of work. I got it installed this past Friday and took it for a drive Friday night, Saturday, and brought it to a local meet Sunday morning following a nice drive through the canyons. The clutch BITES and I mean it BITES. It's so much better than my old Exedy clutch which was pretty darn DONE as far as drivability. NO WAY would I go back with an exedy clutch ever again. The build quality and the weight and everything else that you can factor in with an exedy cluthc compared to the SOS billet aluminum clutch is by far like night and day. If any of you guys get a chance to compare the SOS clutch with any other streetable clutch, you would agree that everything about the SOS is worth the money. I AM A FIRM AND TRUE BELIEVER of "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!" There is absolutely not a chance that getting cheapo parts for a car like the NSX will suffice in my books. I'd rather spend the extra money to get somethign that will WORK and something that will LAST me for a long long time as with durability and workmanship. SOS did a great job on making this clutch happen. I have driven my car so far a couple hundred miles with the new clutch in and have no problems. Still breaking in the clutch so no hard driving has been applied YET. This all has been within the streets and no track time yet. I don't plan to track my NSX so don't count on me writing a review about it anytime soon.

Again, SOS has AGAIN brought us a new and promising product for our NSX. I cannot wait now for other SOS parts to come along that I can upgrade or modify. Damnit, I just checked my wallet and I'm pretty much BROKE now, lmao.:eek: Thanks SOS!! :biggrin::wink:

.Ron

Last edited:
Yes, S.O.S is the best, Bryan brought d' much; helps at the time of my orders, I regard it as a friend, I do not speak English, to make my order is a big problem, thank you has S.O.S and has Bryan for l' helps, patience, the kindness and the good service! good luck S.O.S!

SO last week I purchased this FINE clutch and had it delivered within two days. (Thanks Brian for helping me out with the quick sale! YOU DA MAN!) I can say by far that the customer service that Science of Speed has given me for the past few years has been top notch. Never had I needed to think twice from buying from SOS except with other things that they didn't offer. So with that said, the new SOS Billet Clutch has been an outstanding piece of work. I got it installed this past Friday and took it for a drive Friday night, Saturday, and brought it to a local meet Sunday morning following a nice drive through the canyons. The clutch BITES and I mean it BITES. It's so much better than my old Exedy clutch which was pretty darn DONE as far as drivability. NO WAY would I go back with an exedy clutch ever again. The build quality and the weight and everything else that you can factor in with an exedy cluthc compared to the SOS billet aluminum clutch is by far like night and day. If any of you guys get a chance to compare the SOS clutch with any other streetable clutch, you would agree that everything about the SOS is worth the money. I AM A FIRM AND TRUE BELIEVER of "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!" There is absolutely not a chance that getting cheapo parts for a car like the NSX will suffice in my books. I'd rather spend the extra money to get somethign that will WORK and something that will LAST me for a long long time as with durability and workmanship. SOS did a great job on making this clutch happen. I have driven my car so far a couple hundred miles with the new clutch in and have no problems. Still breaking in the clutch so no hard driving has been applied YET. This all has been within the streets and no track time yet. I don't plan to track my NSX so don't count on me writing a review about it anytime soon.

Again, SOS has AGAIN brought us a new and promising product for our NSX. I cannot wait now for other SOS parts to come along that I can upgrade or modify. Damnit, I just checked my wallet and I'm pretty much BROKE now, lmao.:eek: Thanks SOS!! :biggrin::wink:

.Ron

So Ron,

One of the things I noticed about Max's take was that he mentioned some chatter and more of a bother - burning clutch disk smell = not so good. Also mentioned was the abruptness of the release at normal easy driving revs. That was on the prototype - so what's that like on the final production model you got. A clutch letting out at 25% off the floor and done at 50% doesn't give you much of a feathering ease. When I shift my stock clutch which was just replaced it, by comparison lets out late but is fairly easy to feater - but you have to be a bit careful not to ride it cause it does release so late - but otherwise the chatter has dispated almost enitirely as I've broken it in. Actually it seems it took me over a month or maybe 2 to really get it broken in just right. Barney replaced mine so I know it was done right and it works as well as it can work.

So my question is - is there a difference in the operation of the production model to the small complaints from the prototype. And no one has mentioned the cost of the clutch? What did your install cost you while I'm asking if you don't mind. It's nice to know numbers like this when others are seeking help in the future.

Thanks for the write up - it sure sounds like a good clutch.

Back