• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Science Of Speed Tune Review...

haha...you are still young!

always better to look good than feel good.....

Here is a video of my NSX on the JB4 Map 3 (98 Octane) vs an Audi R8 V10 (stock except for an aftermarket exhaust) - time slip at the end.. I chatted for a while with the owner of the R8 and allowed him to take the NSX for a short spin. He was blown away and said his next car was going to be an NSX. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEs6etjAR_s

Thanks for sharing !!! Great stuff !!! I just subscribed.

So cool to go with your daughter, I go to the track with my twins as well ;)

Nothing like having your kid or wife tree a street car with slicks and ET them as well hahahah

FWIW it’s not Nismo ;) FBO R35’s should run in the 10.3-10.6 range on E85 depending on how aggressive the tune is.

Last edited:
excellent stuff! Soooo many people underestimate the power of the NSX...until they have to face it.

It surprises me as well considering the weight but it all works out really nicely!

I’ve yet to be embarrassed stoplight to stoplight. Shows it’s weight with roll ons, but that’s what the R35 is for ;),

DJ Iceman. I fully concur - the NSX is so lethal on the street because it has no turbo lag and doesn't have to wait for high rpms like some of the normally aspirated do to get into their power band. in just a couple of seconds you have such a lead that is difficult for others to overcome in the short duration of most races.

Droptopp. Yes I realize that wasn't a NISMO but from afar my daughter didn't. The 50th anniversary edition is more or less an appearance package. But they did a nice job on it - looks stunning in person! There were a couple of other GTRs at the track which I was told had 1000 hp and 1200 hp builds. They didn't run their cars though. One owner told me their car didn't handle the high heat very well. One the 3 days I went we had temps in the triple digits one day and mid 90s the other day. Having to wear a fire proof race jacket, helmet and not being able to turn on the AC (due to dripping water in the staging lanes and track) resulted in some pretty grueling conditions. Also most cars were running quite a bit slower than they would in cooler weather. My kids came with me to the drag strip for many years when I raced regularly in Michigan.

Speaking of E85, I did race a nicely put together older Mustang with a flex fuel set up and turbo engine. He told me his car could run very low 7s but that he would have to let off the gas at the end to not run so fast because track officials had told him he needed to get side roll bars installed to run those times. He had a basic 4 point roll bar set up. Cars that run the 1/8 mile quicker than 7.49 secs also require fire proof jackets for the driver.

Here is a video of my race against the old fox body Mustang and the time slip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wfS2oxLPAA

IMG_8912.jpg

Fun stuff. Thanks again for sharing. Not many NC1s at the drag strip.

One of my other cars is a 1500 hp GTR. Big upgrade to the cooling system is a must even at 1000hp. I’m in the north east so we get heat and humidity with DA regularly in the 3500+ range.

Fox body was a great run, talk about analog vs digital ;) oh the memories from the 90’s..

Last edited:
NC1...taking over the world one drag race at a time. Great post!

Excellent runs, Kim2017NSX! Way to represent NC1. You seemed to be a pro at this... any tips for launching the car other than just doing the launch control?

droptopp: Your 1500 hp GTR must be an absolute beast! DO you know what it runs in the quarter mile?

neuronbob: Glad you have enjoyed this thread. I try to be a good "brand ambassador" for the cars I have - I truly love them and try to share my enthusiasm with others when they ask about how I like my car.

sbkim: I am really happy with the performance of the NSX: stock or with the JB4. I do feel I can get the equivalent of a high 10 second run in the car with the factory stock map. Knowing that I ran a 7.14 in triple digit weather on a fairly slippery track (3.00 V Box 0-60 when I have done 2.82 before I got the JB4 on a regular street in cooler weather) I am confident the car has high 10 second potential factory stock. My car does have the full carbon fiber package and ceramic brakes and 16K miles on it so is well broken in by now. I have only made 1 pass with the 93 octane map and that was a 7.01 and in 95 degree weather. So I know the car will go under 7 secs on the 93 octane map - so maybe 10.7 to 10.8 secs in the quarter mile. And then on 98 octane map I think 10.5/10.6 sec potential is there under the right conditions.

As far as technique goes 1 obvious step is to run off the AC. I do also try to let the car cool with the deck lid open in between runs. The car loses power if you do back to back runs (Maybe that's a good selling point for the Science of Speed intercoolers). Getting to the starting line at the track requires crossing the burnout box which gets hosed down with water. The track is too narrow to properly drive around out so usually at least the tires on 1 side of the car are wet and you can't do a burnout to dry them off. I do 1 quick start with launch control prior to pulling up to the starting line. Just to get debris off the tires and to make sure the trans temp is up enough to allow for the launch control to work - if you let the car sit for too long you can get a message that says you cannot engage the launch control due to your trans temp being too low. When I stage the carI try to make sure I position in in the "groove: where most cars carve out some of the surface due to repeated launches. This part of the track has more traction. If you position yourself out of the groove you can give up a whole bunch of time. As you know the launch is everything in getting a good time. For example, on Map 3 I got some 2.79 sec 0 to 60 runs in the groove. One time I got out of the groove and got a 3.29 sec 0 to 60 and my 1.8 mile time dropped from the 6.9s all the way to 7.29. So 3 tenths of a second right there.

When I am doing runs on the VBox on a regular street if the traction isn't good then I don't use the launch control at all. I can get a better 0 to 60 in sport mode doing a lighter brake torque on my own.

Finally, don't for get about reaction time, which although independent of your elapsed time, does allow you to get to the finish line more quickly. If you give up too much time on the tree you might actually not get to the finish line than your opponent even though you run a faster time. Likewise, getting a better reaction time than your opponent widens your visual margin of victory though it has no effect on your ET. The same thing on the street if you are racing someone. Give up a half second by mistake and you can have a difficult time trying to play catch up.

Last edited:
Wow - great info. Thanks for the detailed write up. Learning a lot from this thread. I presume you are running on stock/OEM tires or are they drag rated?
sbkim: I am really happy with the performance of the NSX: stock or with the JB4. I do feel I can get the equivalent of a high 10 second run in the car with the factory stock map. Knowing that I ran a 7.14 in triple digit weather on a fairly slippery track (3.00 V Box 0-60 when I have done 2.82 before I got the JB4 on a regular street in cooler weather) I am confident the car has high 10 second potential factory stock. My car does have the full carbon fiber package and ceramic brakes and 16K miles on it so is well broken in by now. I have only made 1 pass with the 93 octane map and that was a 7.01 and in 95 degree weather. So I know the car will go under 7 secs on the 93 octane map - so maybe 10.7 to 10.8 secs in the quarter mile. And then on 98 octane map I think 10.5/10.6 sec potential is there under the right conditions.

As far as technique goes 1 obvious step is to run off the AC. I do also try to let the car cool with the deck lid open in between runs. The car loses power if you do back to back runs (Maybe that's a good selling point for the Science of Speed intercoolers). Getting to the starting line at the track requires crossing the burnout box which gets hosed down with water. The track is too narrow to properly drive around out so usually at least the tires on 1 side of the car are wet and you can't do a burnout to dry them off. I do 1 quick start with launch control prior to pulling up to the starting line. Just to get debris off the tires and to make sure the trans temp is up enough to allow for the launch control to work - if you let the car sit for too long you can get a message that says you cannot engage the launch control due to your trans temp being too low. When I stage the carI try to make sure I position in in the "groove: where most cars carve out some of the surface due to repeated launches. This part of the track has more traction. If you position yourself out of the groove you can give up a whole bunch of time. As you know the launch is everything in getting a good time. For example, on Map 3 I got some 2.79 sec 0 to 60 runs in the groove. One time I got out of the groove and got a 3.29 sec 0 to 60 and my 1.8 mile time dropped from the 6.9s all the way to 7.29. So 3 tenths of a second right there.

When I am doing runs on the VBox on a regular street if the traction isn't good then I don't use the launch control at all. I can get a better 0 to 60 in sport mode doing a lighter brake torque on my own.

Finally, don't for get about reaction time, which although independent of your elapsed time, does allow you to get to the finish line more quickly. If you give up too much time on the tree you might actually not get to the finish line than your opponent even though you run a faster time. Likewise, getting a better reaction time than your opponent widens your visual margin of victory though it has no effect on your ET. The same thing on the street if you are racing someone. Give up a half second by mistake and you can have a difficult time trying to play catch up.

I am running Continental Contactsport 6s. When I purchased the car it had 9600 miles on it and a set of Michelin Pilot 4S tires. The best I could get for 0 to 60 mph on my Xbox with a 1 foot rollout was a 3.18 secs. And that was attained without using launch control because the tires would spin too much with a hard launch. At 13.9K miles I got a nail in one of my rear tires. Rather than replace the tire I got a new set of Continentals from Tire Rack. I had wanted to try the Continentals out anyway because I noted that Acura had changed their 0 to 60 time from 3.0 to 2.7 secs when they started using the new Continental tire and I figured the tires might have a lot do do with the improvement. That night I took the car out and ran a .2.82 and 2.85 sec to 60 time with just myself in the car and 2.92 with my GF (all 120 lbs of her) in the car - with well over half a tank of gas in the car. When I had the Michelins the car would smoke the tires when downshifting into first from a very slow roll and then break the tires loose on the shift. Launch control wasn't usable at all. Anyway, very happy with the Continentals. And yes there are drag radials and street performance tires that might provide even better traction but I don't want to slide around badly when it does rain.

I am running Continental Contactsport 6s. When I purchased the car it had 9600 miles on it and a set of Michelin Pilot 4S tires. The best I could get for 0 to 60 mph on my Xbox with a 1 foot rollout was a 3.18 secs. And that was attained without using launch control because the tires would spin too much with a hard launch. At 13.9K miles I got a nail in one of my rear tires. Rather than replace the tire I got a new set of Continentals from Tire Rack. I had wanted to try the Continentals out anyway because I noted that Acura had changed their 0 to 60 time from 3.0 to 2.7 secs when they started using the new Continental tire and I figured the tires might have a lot do do with the improvement. That night I took the car out and ran a .2.82 and 2.85 sec to 60 time with just myself in the car and 2.92 with my GF (all 120 lbs of her) in the car - with well over half a tank of gas in the car. When I had the Michelins the car would smoke the tires when downshifting into first from a very slow roll and then break the tires loose on the shift. Launch control wasn't usable at all. Anyway, very happy with the Continentals. And yes there are drag radials and street performance tires that might provide even better traction but I don't want to slide around badly when it does rain.

Excellent info and I totally agree about the conti tire. My car came with a brand new set of those but I had read about the 0-60 times being dramatically improved with conti over michelin. Thanks for sharing everything! T

Would you say the install of the JB4 is easy or should I take it to a shop for the install? I’d like to do it myself so I can remove it easily as well.

Also do we know for a fact this voids power train warranty or is it not detectable?

Last edited:
Gattiman: I wouldn't say it's a super easy installation but it's definitely something you can do on your own. Science of Speed does have an excellent video you can watch and written instructions with photos that come with the box. They also provide everything you need in order to do the installation (except for tools) and the box arrives packaged very neatly with all the zip ties included. In the instructions they describe it as a 3 hour job. Personally, I think 5 hours is a more realistic time estimate. Maybe 3 hours if you've done this before or are a mechanic by trade. This is something you want to take your time with and follow all the steps in sequence and not make any mistakes and secure things as recommended. Things are pretty packed in there and the spaces are pretty tight so there's not a lot of room to work with. I would guess a shop might charge $300 or $400 to do the install and any competent mechanic should be able to do it fairly easily. Definitely have a moving blanket or two to fold over the car to protect it while you are leaning over to do the installation. If you have a bad back it might be better to take to a shop because you will spend quite a bit of time leaning over.

It's a very worthwhile addition to the car IMO. Even with the stock exhaust the gains are impressive - I am very impressed with how well the car is able to perform on Map 2 which is the 93 Octane setting. You control the settings via an easy to use JB4 app which costs just under $30. The car saves whatever map you last selected and runs that until you change it so don't worry if you lose your phone connection for a while. When you shut the car off and then restart it the last map selected is what is in effect. There is a factory map setting which returns you back to stock. As it comes from the factory the car is really very quick. This adds that extra when you want it and it's a very noticeable gain, even on the 93 octane setting.

Last edited:
Would you say the install of the JB4 is easy or should I take it to a shop for the install? I’d like to do it myself so I can remove it easily as well.

Also do we know for a fact this voids power train warranty or is it not detectable?

Everything kim said for install...and whatever you do DO NOT disconnect the coolant expansion tank to make more room like I did...lol.

They DID NOT detect the JB4 (I loaded the stock map) when I was at service a few weeks ago.

@Kim sound advice - pretty much carries over to any awd car. Even if you can drive around the box launch the car when the other guy/gal is doing their burnout. Gets the rocks off. Go through the water slow if you must so it doesn’t splash up into the wheel wells and drip down.

If you get wheel hop when launching because of track prep come off the gas. Better to keep it together for the next run ;)

R35 is a low 8 / high 7 car with 170+ traps on the street 18’s. Could probably better that with a full slick but drag radials change the characteristics of the car enough. With track support maybe even mid 7’s.

60-130 3.1 and 100-150 2.9 on a soft tune trying to have the clutch survive until winter upgrade to promax.

Local track black listed me back when it was just 1000hp. Too many, “hey man you need a chute” and I say “I’ll just run a 60’” and stay in it hahahah

I know there are other built GTR guys on here with NC1s. They are just quiet.

8 times out of 10 I take the NC1 unless the wife is taking it. She launches it more than I do ;) Funny to hear of all the turbo swap plans after she roasts them at a light ;)

“I didn’t know the NSX was that quick” is what I usually hear. Once I tell them the electric motors turn off at 120mph which impacts 1/4 ET/MPH and 60-130 they still don’t get it lol.

Droptopp. Your GTR sounds incredibly fast. I went back to Irwindale drag strip yesterday and there was an Audi R8 V10 that was heavily modified and he ran a 6.02 1/8 mile at 125 mph. So more in your league than my NSX is.

Some of you have asked for empirical data points. Here is a run I did versus a C8 Corvette yesterday using Map 2 for 93 Octane fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VagL7XiwRPA

The time slip is at the end of the video.

On Map 3 for 98 Octane I ran a best of 6.87 secs @ 103.4 mph with a 60 foot time of 1.64 secs and VBox 0 to 60 mph of 2.77 secs.

Last edited:
Droptopp: Yes all the VBox times I quote include 1 foot of rollout. I pretty much know what the 1/8 mile ET is going to be as soon as my VBox 0 to 60 mph time flashes during a run. For example, on an earlier run I got a 6.916 sec 1/8 mile @103.72 mph and a 1.65 60 foot and the VBox 0 to 60 mph was a 2.82 secs. When I ran the C8 Corvette on the 93 octane map 2 setting I got more tire spin during the launch on that particular run and the 0 to 60 mph on the Vbox was 2.90 secs and 1/8 mile was 7.005 secs.

I've tried the VBox out on 0 to 60 mph runs on my other vehicles and got the following bests (just on the street):

2020 Lexus RCF Track Edition : 4.21 secs (Lexus advertises 3.96 secs but the car doesn't hook up at all until 2nd gear)
2021 Lexus LC 500 Convertible: 4.65 secs (Lexus claims 4.6 secs)
1991 GMC Syclone (bone stock original with 45K miles): 4.29 secs. When Car and Driver tested the truck at Milan Dragway in MI 30 years ago and I drove it with their 5th wheel I got a 4.30 sec run.

If I were to extrapolate to a full quarter mile I would estimate my NSX is running somewhere in the 10.5 to 10.6 sec range - based on what other NSX's have run through the quarter mile and looking at their 1/8 mile times on their time slips. Not bad for just using the $1300 JB4 with everything else stock on the car including the exhaust and considering the 90 plus degree weather.

Incidentally the Audi R8 that ran a 6.02 @ 125 mph was equipped with a Sheepey Twin Turbo set up for over 1000 horsepower.

Last edited:
Yep, an 1/8 mile is almost all in the 60’, but from your intro in the other thread I don’t need to tell you that ;)

Sheepey is a great setup, Tony from T1 does all their tuning on motec. Their one big advantage over UGR in my opinion is they can launch without having to go for the 2R+ setup which is a 100k+ more than the 3+ from UGR. Both are great setups IMHO. I’m a bit jaded as I don’t fit in the R8/Huracan and definitely not with a helmet. The NC1 is a stretch but I make it work.

Low 8’s, high 7’s should be in the 140+ 1/8 for an R35.

I actually prefer the vbox over the dragy for being able to look at the raw data especially for roll racing. Much easier to compare multiple cars.

Thanks again for sharing. Great stuff.

I'll be heading up to Famoso Raceway in Bakersfield, CA to get some full quarter mile runs in with my 2017 NSX. The only mod is still the JB4 tuning box from Science of Speed. It will be nice to get an actual quarter mile time slip for the car instead of trying to extrapolate from 1/8 mile runs - really want to get an "official" 10 second time slip:) The Audi R8 and blue 50th Anniversary GTR are coming to my house first and then we will ride up there together. It'[s going to be very hot - low 100s to start. Even at 9pm it will be 92 degrees. So not the best conditions for breaking records..lol but I'll share the results here on the forum.

https://airdensityonline.com/track-forecast/Famoso_Raceway/

awesome...looking forward to seeing your 10 second slip! and of course videos of you whooping some butt! haha

ArabianOak:

Just a quick update: I did actually get twelve 10 second time slips. The weather was not the best for racing and the track wasn't really hooking up.

Off the top of my head my best run was a 10.75 secs at close to 130 mph. And I did win first place in the racing points competition with the NSX so got a nice trophy plus prize money. I'll post time slips and video and more info later tonight when I have more time.

Here is a sampling of the runs I did with my car at Famoso Drag Strip yesterday. The weather was very hot - 105 degrees when we got there and even at midnight is was 87 degrees. ADA ranged from 4900 feet to 3400 feet. The traction wasn't all that good. Compared with my prior 1/8 mile runs at Irwindale Drag Strip my 60 foot times were down and so were my 1/8 mile times. Even so all 12 passes I made were between 10.75 secs and 10.89 secs. There wasn't much cool down time in between because I was there for a Redline Points competition in which you were awarded cumulative points for each time run you made. Points were awarded for your elapsed time and your reaction time. For example, my NSX would get 4 points each run for running between 10.5 and 10.99 secs. If you ran between 11.0 and 11.5 secs then you would get 3 points. If you ran between 10.0 and 10.5 secs you would get 5 points, between 9.51 and 9.99 would yield you 6 points etc. You got 5 bonus points for getting a reaction time of under .100 of a second. if you red lighted then you forfeited all points for that run.

What was really impressive about the NSX is that I was able to win first place ($500 cash plus a nice trophy) out of over 200 cars with a car that I drove 133 miles to the track, ran on street tires and drove home in. All on one tans of gas. I averaged 25.4 mpg on the drive there, 13.2 mpg while at the track and then 21.8 mpg on the way home (lots of uphill mountain driving and it was 1.30 am when I left with a 2 hour drive so I was speeding a little at times). I would say that 90 percent of the cars there were trailer driven and running on drag slicks. The NSX was definitely in the bottom quartile for elapsed time. There were quite a few cars that ran in the 7s and 8s. 10s was pretty slow for the group. But despite the acceleration disadvantage, the NSX was still able to defeat the other cars because it was pretty consistent on the launches and I could really nail the Christmas tree and cut good reaction times. Out of my 12 runs 10 had better reaction times than the 0.100 cutoff to get the 5 bonus points. The only do runs I couldn't do that with were one where I was the car that immediately followed a transmission blowout by another car and they didn't clean up properly and the car literally didn't move for more than a tenth of second at take off due to the lack of traction. The second time was actually during my fastest run of the day. A Dodge Hellcat blew its motor and caught on fire and there was a delay of about an hour. I had rolled my windows down because it was so hot and forgot to roll the passenger window up. I realized that when I staged and that distraction caused me to lose focus for the start. I ended up just running the car with the window down. During the awards ceremony the presenter mentioned that in December when they hold that event again that most cars will run 2 to 3 tenths quicker. Importantly, I didn't get any red-lights so all 12 of my runs counted.

So I am pretty confident my car will run 10.50s. And thats with a JB4 box and no other mods; including stock exhaust and downpipes. Sorry, not sure why the image rotated itself.

IMG_3155.jpg

Last edited:
Back