• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Science Of Speed Tune Review...

ArabianOak:

Just a quick update: I did actually get twelve 10 second time slips. The weather was not the best for racing and the track wasn't really hooking up.

Off the top of my head my best run was a 10.75 secs at close to 130 mph. And I did win first place in the racing points competition with the NSX so got a nice trophy plus prize money. I'll post time slips and video and more info later tonight when I have more time.

YESSSSSSS!!!! Awesome stuff...and you are 200 percent correct, when the weather cools down and we get some negative DA that car is gonna boogey in the mid 10's and gain some trap speed as well. Great post and info! Great job!

Great stuff !!! Time slips don’t always tell the whole story.

If Burger Tuning could just increase the launch rpm and get a 1.5x 60’ you’d already be in the 10.5 range.

Why from a roll it should hold its own from most of the current cars out there less the Macs.

Now we just need the batteries to stay on until 150 ;)

Kim201,
Great posts. Thanks for sharing. I have the JB4 but with the SOS down pipes and quite frankly the down pipes really don't add a lot if you look at my times compared to yours. I know different days yada, yada.
The DA at Wildhorse Pass was 4400 and 106 degree night. I didn't do a launch prior to my runs and may have had some moisture on the tires as you can't really get around the burn out box so my 60' were all in the 1.70's.
My thought is the stock down pipes give enough back pressure to the turbo's to spool quicker for more initial torque response. The only advantage I see is my 1/8 mile was 1-2 mph faster but et the same. The down pipes do show more power on the dyno but it's above the curve. I'd have to say for street performance I wouldn't do the down pipes.
Jimmy aka sled driver

ArabianOak: Yes, I am excited for cooler weather to arrive and the opportunity to try to get some mid 10 sec 1/4 mile time slips and break 130 mph for trap speed.

Droptopp: It would be nice to have a higher launch control rpm when traction conditions can harness the extra torque off the line. My best 1/8 mile at Irwindale was 6.87 secs with a 1.64 60 ft time and 103.8 mph. At Famoso the best 60 foot I could get was 1.69 and 1/8 mile was at 6.96 at 104.79 mph so the traction just wasn't as good. Has anyone tried brake torquing in Sport Plus mode without launch control (which only happens in Track mode) as a comparison?

Sled driver: Thank you for sharing your insights on the downpipes possibly having less torque at lower rpms. I tried to look at the details in the chart by Science of Speed at the URL below and if I am reading it correctly it does appear to support your contention and show that the stock downpipes are better until around 2300 or 2400 rpms.

https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/scienceofspeed-jb4-tuning-box-nsx-2017-on.html

Here is the set of runs I did today at Irwindale Drag Strip - all 1/8 mile. My car did set a new 1/8 mile ET record for itself at 6.847 secs. On another run I got a 1.620 60 foot time which is also a record for my car. The weather today was cooler - it started at 87 degrees when i got to the track and had dropped to 79 degrees for my final run. Hope this is helpful to those of you who are interested in looking at data points for the car. Once again my car is all stock other than the JB4 tuning box. All these runs were done on Map 3 for 98 octane fuel. The tires I use are Continental Contactsport 6.

IMG_4052.jpg

On Friday I went back to Famoso Drag Strip near Bakersfield for a test and tune session to run my 2017 NSX through the full quarter mile. We were also running my GMC Syclone and Lexus RCF Track Edition.

For those interested what performance you can attain with the Map 2 (93 octane) setting of the Science of Speed JB4 tuning box I made several runs on that setting and got 3 runs in the 10.70s and 129 mph. The best was a 10.75 @ 129.69 mph with a 1.698 60 foot and a Vbox 0 - 60 mph time of 2.89 secs. The DA was around 3400 feet and the track wasn't hooking all that great. That's pretty impressive for a 93 octane map and no other mods on the car.

I did 1 run on the 98 Octane map and the DA was about 2900 feet and got a 10.69 @131 mph with a 1.692 60 foot and Vbox 0 to 60 of 2.82 secs. I had actually forgotten to change the map from the 93 octane setting (which is what I drove to the track on) until the very end because I was also racing my GMC Syclone and Lexus RCF Track Edition. lol. Anyway, I feel the 93 octane map will be capable of 10.60s under better conditions and the 98 Octane map should yield 10.50s. On a different day at Irwindale I had managed an 1/8 mile time of 6.82 secs @104.9 mph with a 1.62 60 foot and a VBox 0 to 60 mph of 2.70 secs. That 1/8 mile run was probably equivalent to a 1/4 mile in the 10.50s.

The time slips shown are best run on 98 Octane and best run on 93 octane settings.

IMG_5071.jpg

Last edited:
Back