• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Science Of Speed Tune Review...

Hi Gang,

After purchasing my NSX a few weeks back I did some stock times on my dragy. Here was the stock performance with 93 octane...

0-60 (1 foot rollout) in 3.01

0-100 in 7.19

1/4 mile in [email protected]

60-130 in 8.98

1/2 mile in [email protected]

After installing the science of speed tune via JB4 with 98 octane fuel...

0-60 (1 foot rollout): 2.87

0-100: 6.6

1/4 mi: 10.8@130

60-130: 7.88

0-130: 10.95

1/2 mi: 17.06@156

As you can see these are some serious gains. I think a 10.5-10.6 is in the car with lower DA on a track. These times were run on the street with around 2500DA on an unprepped surface.

Just thought I would share. Any questions let me know...I have also created youtube videos with the times...

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing. I'll be taking my 2017 NSX to Irwindale Speedway this afternoon for the Thursday evening time runs. It's just 1/8 mile. I just installed the Science of Speed JB4 with the stock exhaust. I'll share my results also. From seat of the pants the car feels much quicker:)

Great info! Really appreciate empirical data points. Quick question - do you have other mods like downpipe or just JB4? Also, any thoughts on performance using 93 octane? I would guess slightly under 11 sec mark.

Thank you so much for sharing. I'll be taking my 2017 NSX to Irwindale Speedway this afternoon for the Thursday evening time runs. It's just 1/8 mile. I just installed the Science of Speed JB4 with the stock exhaust. I'll share my results also. From seat of the pants the car feels much quicker:)

Awesome...good luck...here is my 1/8 mile times...

Stock
[email protected]

Tuned
[email protected]

Great info! Really appreciate empirical data points. Quick question - do you have other mods like downpipe or just JB4? Also, any thoughts on performance using 93 octane? I would guess slightly under 11 sec mark.

Also, did you install JB4 yourself or a shop in IL?

No other mods other than tune...

I am a big advocate of 93 octane or above. With the tune you can load a 98 tune which will give the NSX over 100 more hp.

I installed the JB4 myself...not a very easy install but nothing too nuts either...plan 3-4 hours to do it slowly and correctly. unlike me...lol.

Awesome! I am also in IL - did you install JB4 yourself or shop/dealership?

Thanks again.

Posted at the same time...check out my response above...what town you in? Im in Saint Charles.

Here are my time runs in the 1/8 mile at Irwindale Speedway ( The 0 to 60 mph times are from my RaceLogic VBox with 1 foot rollout hooked up at the same time)

100% stock car:

July 1, 2021 95 degree weather. no VHT on track.

Best time: 7.144 secs @ 98.84 mph 60 foot - 1.681 secs (0 to 60 mph - 3.00 secs).

July 15, 2021 92 degree weather going down to around 75 degrees by the end.

JB4 Installed with no other modifications (stock exhaust with no aftermarket downpipes)

Map 2 (93 Octane)

I did just 1 pass on this setting which was right after I arrived after a 1.5 hour drive and 15 min cool down time:

7.016 secs @ 100.60 mph w 1.697 60 ft (0 to 60 mph 2.87 secs)

Map 3 (98 Octane)

Best run:

6.907 sec @102.12 mph w 1.640 60 foot (0 to 60 mph 2.79 secs)

I had several runs all in the 6.9s. I can post the drag slip times and my daughter took some videos for her Tik Tok channel which I can post if you want to see the action.

Honestly, I am very impressed with the 93 Octane Map 2. I feel that if I let the car cool for longer and ran in in lower temps than the 92 degrees at the time could have broken into the 6.9s for the 1/8 which is very impressive for 93 octane pump gas. As far as the gas I ran I had around 3 gallons of 91 octane and then filled up with 101 octane VP racing fuel. Of course once you are pushing this level of times it takes a considerable bump in horsepower to go quicker. So the marginal gain from the 98 octane map may not seem that impressive to some.

It was a very warm day in SoCal. Just to let you know what some other cars ran - there was an Audi R8 with the V10 that ran a 7.26 @97 mph. A C8 Corvette with some tuning that ran a 7.32 (I didn't catch his mph). There was 2021 NSX with the JB4, downpipes and Fabspeed exhaust and 100 tread tires that ran a 7.29. And a Porsche Taycan Turbo S that consistently ran in the 6.40s (I assume modified somehow). I also raced a 50th anniversary Nissan GTR with intake and fuel mods that ran a 7.43 @98.17 mph.

Last edited:
haha....love the nsx chirp chirp chirp then BOOM!

Here is one of many runs in the 6.9s and this one vs a Nissan GTR 50th Anniversary edition with some minor mods (the driver told me the shop in Orange County that performed the mods told him his car should now run 10.50s in the quarter mile) My NSX has the JB4 on Map 3 (98 octane) - everything else on the car is stock including the exhaust. Time slip is at the end of the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lns4i4t7YFk

excellent stuff! Soooo many people underestimate the power of the NSX...until they have to face it.

It surprises me as well considering the weight but it all works out really nicely!

These kinds of races are best for the NSX. Launch control with the electric motors giving us instant torque lets us get a head start on almost anything else, then the race is over before somebody with more displacement, etc. really gets up to steam.

excellent stuff! Soooo many people underestimate the power of the NSX...until they have to face it.

It surprises me as well considering the weight but it all works out really nicely!

....welcome to prime...but I have to ask...your screen name...Arnold was known as the Austrian Oak...are you a Arabic bodybuilder? :)

....welcome to prime...but I have to ask...your screen name...Arnold was known as the Austrian Oak...are you a Arabic bodybuilder? :)

you are learning well young skywalker...lol. That was my nickname from the USMC. I don't look like arnold...well maybe I look like current arnold...lolololol

at 59 I better have learned something....

Back