• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Scoreboard Update: Tropical Storm Fay 1 - Darwin Candidate 0

<iframe src="http://www.cnn.com/video/savp/evp/?loc=dom&vid=/video/weather/2008/08/19/florida.kite.boarder.wfor" height="393" width="406" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Heard he is in a coma and in critical condition.

Ummm hard to feel sorry for the guy. I've seen my share of Typhoons in the Pacific and Hurricanes in the Atlantic. I know enough not to mess around when they come for a visit. Best to get out of the way. Darwinism clearly in play.

Has the guy ever heard of letting go...... I would of let go right when I notice I was being lifting off the grown and tried to protect my head from the first impact... instead he holds on and gets taken for what looks like an even harder impact again ...ouch

I feel bad for him but can't say he didn't deserve it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think those kite guys are hooked on to their kites. Not sure if there is a quick release. Still though, another article says he is in critical condition. But if he was crazy enough to go out in those conditions, then he should have thought about the price he might have to pay, which in this case, was a big price.

I think those kite guys are hooked on to their kites. Not sure if there is a quick release. Still though, another article says he is in critical condition. But if he was crazy enough to go out in those conditions, then he should have thought about the price he might have to pay, which in this case, was a big price.

You'd think that they would not secure themselves to their kites for just such a reason.

You'd think that they would not secure themselves to their kites for just such a reason.

I heard on an earlier news report that they are in fact secured to their kites and that there wasn't an early release system. That being said, why was he out there in those conditions.

Anybody notice that the cameraman was completely unfazed by watching someone getting hurled across a parking lot?

This pretty much happened in my local area. It's unbelievable that people will go out and do these kinds of activities in hazardous conditions. And although he is a good candidate for the Darwin Award, it was mentioned that he was trying to get back to land because the winds were becoming stronger. However, any moron knows that when there is a tropical storm/hurricane coming in that the winds are going to be fierce. Hopefully he'll recover and be able to tell what was going through his mind while he was sailing through the air like superman. One more thing, they are harnessed into those rigs and can't just let go and fall to the ground.

I say time for manufacturers to make emergency teather release mechanisms:eek:

FORT LAUDERDALE (CBS4) ― A South Florida kite surfer who went for a wild ride during Tropical Storm Fay is doing better.

Wednesday morning 28-year old Kevin Kearney's condition was upgraded from critical to serious.

A CBS4 news crew was on Fort Lauderdale beach at A1A and east Las Olas Boulevard on Monday when a huge gust of wind from Fay blew down the beach and took Kearney by surprise.

The kite boarder was harnessed into his sail when the wind violently picked him up and slammed him onto the sandy beach. Then, he was dragged across the sand before being lifted up into the air again and blown across the street where the wind slammed him into a building.

Fort Lauderdale fire rescue crews quickly arrived on the scene and transported him to Broward General Medical Center in critical condition. His friends believe Kearney will make a full recovery.

WFOR photographer Yuzeith Osorio believes Kearney was blown away by a forming waterspout.

"Basically, we were getting ready to go live and I saw something forming up in the sky. I told Pete, 'Hey, careful, something's forming.'"

"I'm surprised he didn't get hit by a car because we have A1A right here," said CBS4 Engineer Anthony Romano. "I think it was a miracle that he just flew over the street and into the thing."

In a statement, Kearney's family said, "Kevin is an experienced kite-boarder and an all around great guy. We ask that you keep Kevin in your prayers and respect our privacy."

Kearney's friends say he was strapped into a harness with emergency releases. However, everything happened so fast, it's possible he had no time to think about unhooking his clasps. The incident is a very surreal reminder of the dangers inherent in Tropical Storm-force winds.

FORT LAUDERDALE (CBS4) ―

A CBS4 news crew was on Fort Lauderdale beach at A1A and east Las Olas Boulevard on Monday when a huge gust of wind from Fay blew down the beach and took Kearney by surprise.

took him by surprise? Um hello?! Did you hear about the huge storm coming?:confused:

Back