• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Senna and Mclaren 26 years ago today

On an April 3rd like today, 26 years ago, Ayrton Senna set off on an important journey in his career. The rising star of Brazilian and international motor sports left Lotus to debut at McLaren, the best F-1 team in 1988’s season, which started on that date, with the Brazilian Grand Prix, at the Jacarapagua circuit, in Rio de Janeiro.

Senna lived his best moments in the category with the British team, winning his three world titles (1988, ’90 and ’91). It was in Ron Dennis’ team that Senna fulfilled his huge potential. He won 35 races in six seasons, stepped on the podium in another 20 instances and scored 46 of the 65 pole-positions in his career.

It was also there that Senna made history in epic races, like the 1991 Brazilian Grand Prix, when he won his first race in front of his fans, even after dealing with serious gearbox issues; and the 1993 European Grand Prix, at Donnington Park, in which he overtook five drivers on a single lap to take the lead and win the race. Not to mention five of his six wins in Monaco, a feat that made him the “King of the Principality” and a record that endures to this day.

With Senna, McLaren had fantastic results, including records like the four builder’s championship titles in a row. With Alain Prost as teammate, he ruled the tracks in 1988 and 1989, in what many experts call the best duo in F1’s history. April 3rd 1988 started with Senna at the pole-position, but the Brazilian ended up not finishing the year’s first Grand Prix. His debut’s result may not have been the best, but that day can be considered a watershed in the future world champion’s career.

Courtesy of the Ayrton Senna Institute

It is hard to believe that I have been watching F1 now for almost 30 years! Ayrton pic'ed my interest during the Lotus years with Honda and I never looked back. I am extremely grateful that I was able to see him race in person many times over the years. What a fantastic partnership.

I just finished reading the book "Senna". You can't help but love the man for everything he achieved and stood for. I remember watching him when I lived in Venezuela in the late 80s and 90s, he was a huge star all over South America, not just Brazil. My interest in Formula 1 quickly faded after his death, only since buying my NsX did my interest for Formula 1 and learning to love it through Senna's eyes begin again. If anybody hasn't read the book, it's an amazing read about an amazing human being.

I just finished reading the book "Senna". You can't help but love the man for everything he achieved and stood for. I remember watching him when I lived in Venezuela in the late 80s and 90s, he was a huge star all over South America, not just Brazil. My interest in Formula 1 quickly faded after his death, only since buying my NsX did my interest for Formula 1 and learning to love it through Senna's eyes begin again. If anybody hasn't read the book, it's an amazing read about an amazing human being.
Senna was my favorite driver of all time and my passion for F1 changed on May 1, 1994. Senna is the reason I always wanted a NSX. Which book are you referring to? Thanks.

Senna was my favorite driver of all time and my passion for F1 changed on May 1, 1994. Senna is the reason I always wanted a NSX. Which book are you referring to? Thanks.

The book is called "Ayrton Senna: The Whole Story" by Christopher Hilton. It has quotes from people that were very close to him, his pilot is one of them and the way they got along and how he said his job wasn't done until he flew his body safely back to Brazil to his family shows the great admiration many people had for Ayrton. I've never read a book more than once but this one may break that tradition. The movie doesn't show the level of kindness Ayrton had for others, the book does a better job of representing his gentler side.

Back