• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Service Question

I just purchased a 1995 NSX that has 14K miles on it. It's like new and I love it!!

My question is, as I look at the service schedule, I"m not sure what I should do because the car is 10yrs old and only has 14K miles. It's running great but has a very slight hesitation in the early RPM area when I "get on it".

Any suggestions? Should I take it in for an inspection, a tune up, a specific service?

The service records from the previous owner show the 7500 service.

Ed

Congrats on the find, first of all. As others will no doubt tell you soon, much of the service is time or miles. If you're saying that the previous owner has only performed a 7500 mile service, then you're certainly due for some additional services (timing belt included). Your manual should show you what is due (everything, probably). If you don't have a manual, and if one isn't avail on this site, I can scan some info out of mine if you'd like as I have a '95 as well. Let me know.

RJ

You can find the maintenance schedule for a '91, which is the same as the '95, in the FAQ. Just click on the word FAQ in the red bar above that looks like this:

04jannavbar.gif

then click on Maintenance, then on Schedule.

I would do everything. Basically, that includes:

1. all items in the 60K service (recommended for 60K miles or 4 years, whichever comes first)

2. the timing belt (90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first)

3. the water pump (no interval specified, but it's usually done at the same time as the timing belt because the labor involved is almost exactly the same)

4. flushing the coolant (this is specified for 45K/75K/etc miles but it's normally done anyway when the water pump is replaced)

5. replace all cooling system hoses, or at a minimum, the five big ones (no interval specified, but this is good preventive maintenance, and there are labor and coolant savings by doing it at the same time as the water pump)

Expect to pay somewhere around $2200-2500. That may sound like a lot, but after that, everything will be up to date. You won't have to worry about items 2, 3, or 5 for another 90K miles or 6 years. (Most of the 60K service items are also in the 30K service, which needs to be done every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first.)

Thanks guys... that's what I was afraid of.

I've heard there's someone in Northern CA that does things cheaper than Nielo Acura. I'll poll the local club and ask.

As always, thanks.

Ed

emdoller said:
I've heard there's someone in Northern CA that does things cheaper than Nielo Acura. I'll poll the local club and ask.
It depends on where you are in Northern California. In the Sacramento area, Niello Acura is the place to go. Bruce Pettite is the most experienced NSX tech there. He had left for a while to open his own shop, but my understanding is that he's back at Niello. In the San Francisco area, a lot of NSX folks take their cars to Don at Hilltop Auto Service, and near San Jose, others use Foreign Affair.

I'm near Sacramento. If he's back at Niello, than I guess that's where I'll go. I'll get the paperwork ready for the 2nd mortgage :biggrin:

emdoller said:
I'm near Sacramento. If he's back at Niello, than I guess that's where I'll go. I'll get the paperwork ready for the 2nd mortgage :biggrin:
You have PM...

emdoller said:
Thanks guys... that's what I was afraid of.

As always, thanks.

Ed[/QUOTE

Auburn Honda has a guy that is experienced with NSX's
He used to work at the other Acura dealership in Sacramento. He had one in a couple weeks ago when I was visiting..I think his name was kyle. He's very good from what I heard. I know the labor rate is probably cheaper.

How much more is the service at Neillo than a independent?

Things to consider:

According to the NSXCA site Neillo gives a 25% parts discount and a 10% discount on labor to NSXCA members. Chuck Towe is listed as the contact.

I believe Neillo has a history of sponsorship for local NSXCA events.

You ARE a NSXCA member aren't you? :biggrin: If not you SHOULD be. :wink:

http://www.nsxca.org/nsxca/join/index.html

Sounds like you bought a nice car. Welcome aboard.

Thanks for your help on this. I'm going to take your advice and bring to Niello for the full service. I'll give them a call in a few days and set it up. I'd do it sooner but I just got off the plane in Tokyo.

Maybe I can find our where my Work wheels are while I'm over here on business... they've been on order since November :confused:

I just spoke with Bruce over at Niello. He recommended I only do the fluid service and said that it would be a waste to change the water pump and timing at this time. He sadi he has never seen one break... interesting. I guess I'll take his advice.

Ed

If it were my car, I would have him change the timing belt anyway. It's ten years old!

And make sure he at least inspects the cooling system hoses (he'll look at them closely, and try squeezing them, to make sure they aren't cracked or dried out)...

Congrats on your find!!
I had a similiar find- a "92 with 25000 miles that I picked up 8 months ago. To be on the safe side and as per Larry Batanza's advice (well taken)- I replaced ALL THE HOSES - you can get a complete OEM kit from some of the vendors listed at Prime. I flushed the brakes, coolant , replaced all the fluids with synthetics, torqued all suspension bolts, plugs,filters, etc, new timing belt, ac + steering belts, etc etc. The final result- the car runs great-like new!! My entire cost was $1500.- I had it done at a private garage who prides himself in perfection-
Have fun!!

jh

jh_nsx said:
Congrats on your find!!
I had a similiar find- a "92 with 25000 miles that I picked up 8 months ago. To be on the safe side and as per Larry Batanza's advice (well taken)- I replaced ALL THE HOSES - you can get a complete OEM kit from some of the vendors listed at Prime. I flushed the brakes, coolant , replaced all the fluids with synthetics, torqued all suspension bolts, plugs,filters, etc, new timing belt, ac + steering belts, etc etc. The final result- the car runs great-like new!! My entire cost was $1500.- I had it done at a private garage who prides himself in perfection-
Have fun!!

jh

When torquing all suspension parts, do you loosen the bolts/nuts before tightening them or just tighten them as-is to spec?

Interesting question. I would typically just check by tightening them with a Torque wrench. However if I find evidence that someone overtorqued things like an impact gun on the lug nuts, I would loosen them to check for over tightening. Be careful with the suspension adjustment bolts, you could screwup your alignment pretty badly if you do not take note of positioning:).

HTH,
LarryB

Back