• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shift lever: Type R or Type S or none of the above?

I am looking for a shift lever to replace the OEM one in my car today since i am considering installing the Zanardi shift knob or the Type R shift knob. I wanted to see is anyone knew if there is any difference in the Type R version "shift lever" and does anyone know if this part is specific for RHD? Or is the OEM Zanardi lever the LHD US version what I need to purchase?

I see this on SOS http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/gear_lever_stalk/ but some of the headings say "short gear stalk" but once I click on it, and drill in, it looks like the exact same as OEM but instead a straighter stalk with more threads. So is it actually physically shorter as well? Has anyone purchased this part? Is it an OEM part? or is it SOS replica?

I believe the SOS short stalk and Zanardi are the same parts. The Zanardi has more threads on it so your can mount/screw your shift knob lower than the regular stalk would have allowed you to.

This is GREAT info on the install! Thanks! I guess I am now trying to determine if the one on the SOS site is in fact the TYPE-R stalk or the TYPE-S stalk. Or is it merely a replica of one of those 2?

Read a review about the shift lever (and more) HERE.

By chance have you purchased either of these? I don't have a preference at all, I am really after the differences between parts, just so I can make an informed decision before purchasing.

I believe the SOS short stalk and Zanardi are the same parts. The Zanardi has more threads on it so your can mount/screw your shift knob lower than the regular stalk would have allowed you to.

Last edited:
I purchased and installed the SOS short stalk and the short shifter kit. Really makes a difference. I also modified mine by cutting it down by 1.5 inches shorter since the threads go pretty far down. It now has a short throw and sits nice and low. I also did the same to my friends 03 Silverstone NSX.

Back