• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Short shifter by Titaniumdave

Well,

I got the short shifter, half the price of the Comptech one.

I got mixed feelings... Mixed because it is so nice and now my M3 shifter feels like a truck. Still have the nice crisp feel but the throws are much shorter. It really is a flick of the wrist. Don't think that the side to side reduction is necessary since with the short fore and aft throws, the gates seem to be tighter side to side.

Installation was very simple since I was already removing my console. Very clear instructions but to make it even easier, include pictures. It only took me 5 minutes to put in and then I took the car for a drive without replacing the center console.

Construction is first rate. Nice solid piece of aluminum that was milled. Looks to good to hide under the console. Forget about the powdercoating and save a couple of coins. The solid aluminum block would be just fine.

Highly recommended. Even Ken, almost everything is stock would appreciate this one.

Tim

Know what you mean. I sold the turbo system on the car and drove it today for the first time without FI. It's slow :frown: . It will be fast again though in the future. :biggrin:

Tim

Thanks for the kind words and review. Very glad you like it. I will keep coming out with new parts and keep everyone in the loop as parts are prototyped, finished and ready to sell. It has been fun showing some of the development steps too. :cool:

jorligan said:
Well,

I got the short shifter, half the price of the Comptech one.

I got mixed feelings... Mixed because it is so nice and now my M3 shifter feels like a truck. Still have the nice crisp feel but the throws are much shorter. It really is a flick of the wrist. Don't think that the side to side reduction is necessary since with the short fore and aft throws, the gates seem to be tighter side to side.

Installation was very simple since I was already removing my console. Very clear instructions but to make it even easier, include pictures. It only took me 5 minutes to put in and then I took the car for a drive without replacing the center console.

Construction is first rate. Nice solid piece of aluminum that was milled. Looks to good to hide under the console. Forget about the powdercoating and save a couple of coins. The solid aluminum block would be just fine.

Highly recommended. Even Ken, almost everything is stock would appreciate this one.

Tim

Does it make the shift notchier or smoother?

Does it make the actual shift stick taller?

Thanks.

I sold the turbo system on the car and drove it today for the first time without FI. It's slow
you should drive my element...or worse...my friends X-Terra :D:D

Doesn't change the height at all since the extension is below the pivot point. Shift feel isn't really changed that much, simply much shorter. Tim

I had a billet aluminum shift knob (the obscenely shaped one from Dali - if you've seen it you would know what that means...). It worked and felt fine at normal temperatures. However, in the winter when you first get in the car it's so cold it freezes your hand, and in the summer if you leave the car in the sun the knob gets so hot you literally can't touch it without using a rag or something. I ended up making a leather cover - kinda like a single fingered glove - with a velcro closure, and used that a lot of the time. Eventually I went back to a leather covered one due to the temperature hassles.

Anyone else had this happen?

Jeff

Kinda off topic a bit here... but yes I've got the Science of Speed billet shifter and it gets hot in the summer, and freezing cold in the winter. Just can't win? That why the OEM is leather.

Thanks,

Jeff A said:
I had a billet aluminum shift knob (the obscenely shaped one from Dali - if you've seen it you would know what that means...). It worked and felt fine at normal temperatures. However, in the winter when you first get in the car it's so cold it freezes your hand, and in the summer if you leave the car in the sun the knob gets so hot you literally can't touch it without using a rag or something. I ended up making a leather cover - kinda like a single fingered glove - with a velcro closure, and used that a lot of the time. Eventually I went back to a leather covered one due to the temperature hassles.

Anyone else had this happen?

Jeff

I just had Dave install the Shortend Shift Lever and Short Shifter Block today and it feels great. The throws are very short a precise, the way it should have come from the factory.

Veleno said:
Brad,

Is that 2 different pieces? I thought he only made a short shifter block?

Richard, he also can shorten the shift lever and put it together with the short shifter block which is what he did for me.

PM me, I have parts in stock.

Short shift kits and shortened shift levers.

LMK if I can help out.

Dave

Oh, yes he MOST DEFINITELY does! Absolutely pulled my narrow butt out a fix over this past weekend with his quick response for the SSK. Dave (and Eric at his shop) ROCK!

Last edited:
Just got my stock shifter back from Dave. Had him mod it shorter. So, he's still around. Will install it tonight after work. Look better I think.

...working on getting things posted on line...I bought the website address, that was the easy part:rolleyes:

You can PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a current list.

Thanks,
Dave

Back