• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Short Squeak/Rattle Noise from 1997 NSX After Moving from First Start of the Day

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, and I just bought a Prime member's 1997 NSX about 2 months ago. The car has been great so far, but one thing I noticed is a squeaking/rattling noise a few seconds after I pull away when the car has been parked for a while - it happens every time for the first start of the day, but it's hit and miss if the car has been sitting for a few hours. It lasts anywhere from 3-5 seconds, and after it stops doing it, the car won't do it again for the duration of the drive even when coming to a complete stop and rolling again. It sounds like it's coming from the front end of the car, but I don't know enough about the car to determine what it could be, so I was hoping to get some opinions here. I took a video with my phone on the dashboard for a sound clip of the car starting, pulling away, and squeaking for a few seconds (squeaking starts 18 seconds in). If anyone has seen this before or knows what it could be, I would appreciate some insight. Thank you!

Totally normal. It's the ABS system. On my 91 it lasts about 5-10 seconds. You need to exercise the system once in awhile. I think it involves activating the ABS system on a slippery surface, sand or water, at low speed.

If it does not stop running you can take it to the dealer. They have a box that plugs into the dash by the glove-box that can fix it by running the ABS system.

Ah that makes sense. I haven't activated ABS since I've had it, so I'll make sure to find a safe place to do that once in a while. Thanks for the quick response!

WELCOME to the Forums, we have a reasonably active membership in SEMI so please drop by the Michigan Check-In Thread in the Midwest US Region Section!

Brian

Welcome neighbor. I'm just to the north of you in Farmington Hills. Formula Red /94. Reach out to me if your NSX gets lonely for other NSX company -- we can introduce them to each other some time! Hope to see you around.

Best,
Jeff

This tuesday is Laurie's last golf lesson at Fox hills so it will be my last fun driving tuesday night if anyone is interested in joining me.

The best way to exercise the ABS solenoid is to make a few very hard stops from about 40mph on a wet road. Afterwards check the reservoir under the hood to see if there is foam. You may need to refill it with fluid.

Back