• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I install an Oil Catch Can?

Bho

Registered Member
Hey Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has installed in oil catch can in their NSX. If you have, is there a recommendation on brand or tips/pics where they put it? I had one installed on my V8 Lexus RCF (car before this 2017 NSX) and after a few months of normal driving, that reservoir was full. Would it benefit this car?

Cheers,
Brian

Generally speaking if you have an engine with direct injection then there have been some documented instances of soot forming on the plugs and valves necessitating some remedial action down the road. At least that is what I have read about over the last few years. The problem apparently is that with direct injection there is no longer a cleaning effect of the fuel. So you will read stories about people having to use walnut shells as a means of cleaning up that area or worst case pulling the heads. To counteract this issue some manufacturers have added catch cans to capture the oil vapor that normally would enter the combustion chamber in these turbo based engines. Volvo forums have talked about this issue with their 2 liter turbo charged and combo turbo charged super charged engines. The engine actually comes with a simple catch can that can at times fail. The more expensive fix is to have a decent aftermarket catch can which is probably why you put forth the topic. Some manufacturers have done something else to make sure they keep the area clean. They have direct injection and port injection. This is what our NSX engines have. So hopefully we will not have an issue with soot forming around the plugs and causing an issue.

On a NA motor no....Many aftermarket companies would love to sell you one......many domestic v8 owners use them look on any dodge forum...hemi guys love the catch can...

Generally speaking if you have an engine with direct injection then there have been some documented instances of soot forming on the plugs and valves necessitating some remedial action down the road. At least that is what I have read about over the last few years. The problem apparently is that with direct injection there is no longer a cleaning effect of the fuel. So you will read stories about people having to use walnut shells as a means of cleaning up that area or worst case pulling the heads. To counteract this issue some manufacturers have added catch cans to capture the oil vapor that normally would enter the combustion chamber in these turbo based engines. Volvo forums have talked about this issue with their 2 liter turbo charged and combo turbo charged super charged engines. The engine actually comes with a simple catch can that can at times fail. The more expensive fix is to have a decent aftermarket catch can which is probably why you put forth the topic. Some manufacturers have done something else to make sure they keep the area clean. They have direct injection and port injection. This is what our NSX engines have. So hopefully we will not have an issue with soot forming around the plugs and causing an issue.

Thanks so much for your reply. Yeah, I did read a lot of stuff online about air/oil separators but wasn't sure if our cars were direct & port injected or just direct injected. I figured it was a relatively cheap mod to keep the engine clean, which is why I asked. However, not needing one is even cheaper, LOL.

Some companies (VW, BMW) do have issues with PCV blowby contaminating the backs of the intake valves and stems on their DI engines. BMW offers the walnut shell service at the dealership. But, other companies (Ford) use a PCM tune and head design to circulate raw fuel to hit the backs of the valves and clean them during the combustion cycle. Both my 3.5 L twin turbo ecoboost engines are running clean, so it is possible. My F-150 has 92,000 miles and the intake valves are pretty clean considering. One would hope Acura/Cosworth are doing the same thing in the NC1.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I read and watched a bunch of stuff online about these catch can/air-oil separators. Wasn't sure if our cars were direct injection or port & direct injection. Figured it was a relatively cheap mod so that's why I asked.

Back