• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

signature required

One of our vendors puts "signature required" on items shipped to the customer. At least, they do it to me.

This is a huge inconvenience. No one is at home during the day and we live in a safe neighborhood. The UPS driver says he's never had an item stolen on his whole route.

Plus, we are talking a cheap item (less than $150).

What do you think of the signature required feature and do you like it on items you purchase?

I've never liked it on any item I've had shipped from any vendor. If I was afraid of it getting lost or stolen, I'd get insurance for the item or not buy it via the net.

What am I missing here?

About a year ago both the major parcel companies (UPS and FedEx) changed their claim policies. They no longer will cover a missing package claim unless the signature is requested. My company ships about 400-600 domestic packages a day. We request signatures of packages more that $50 in value. It is a necessary thing it todays world. Usually you can either leave a signature note or sign the door tag for a delivery the next day. If it is a direct signature that is required, I would suggest to call your credit card company and add your work address as a secondary billing address on the card and have the items sent to you place of employment. That way they can verify the address and ship it to a place you will be able to receive it.

I collect art. On several occasions I found crated paintings leaning up against my garage door.:eek: Plus, I was home!:eek: They wouldn't even ring the door bell. Still makes me mad when I think about it. I didn't live in the "hood", but that was stupid.

I don't like it when signature is required (unless big, noticeable, and expensive) and I can't tell them not to require one. I have to run pretty far to get it because I am almost never home when they try to deliver. It is pretty bad that they don't even ring the bell now though. I saw the UPS man coming once and I waited behind the door and he just threw it on the porch and left.

If the vendor requires it to make their prices and shipping lower then I don't mind it as much. Its just a real inconvience to have to spend the time and $ to drive way out of my way to pick something up at their office. (I work on a military base so I can't have items delivered here)

I don't like it when signature is required (unless big, noticeable, and expensive) and I can't tell them not to require one. I have to run pretty far to get it because I am almost never home when they try to deliver. It is pretty bad that they don't even ring the bell now though. I saw the UPS man coming once and I waited behind the door and he just threw it on the porch and left.

If the vendor requires it to make their prices and shipping lower then I don't mind it as much. Its just a real inconvience to have to spend the time and $ to drive way out of my way to pick something up at their office. (I work on a military base so I can't have items delivered here)

It would be even more inconvenient to have it lost and have to file a claim and wait for the vendor to ship a replacement. I understand, it can be a hastle. Looking at it from someone who also receives lots of packages. I would personaly rather keep the items safe. Get a drop off box (UPS Store ect) have it delivered to a friend or relative. you may even be able to sign a "release waiver" with the shipper. If you do that thought and the package is lost you are SOL with the vendor. Just my .02

What I usually do when I know a signature required package is coming in and I know im not going to be home, I leave a note on the door. Simply put: Can you leave in (specific place). Thank You and sign it. I've never had a problem with this and if you do miss them you can always call them and change the address it's being shipped to once they have attempted to deliver once.

I am shipping out repairs several times a week and generally don't require a signature and have not had any problems yet. Lost and misdirected packages happen and when recipient does not get their item and the vendor has to make good it can mean real money, unhappy customers, endless flame war threads on NSXprime. If I have a NSX CCU gets lost on its way back to a customer sorry is not going to cut it and a new one costs $2000 requiring a signature is a no brainer for both parties.

I do get deliveries that require a signature in person and I just call and get it held for pickup and I go at my convenience and get it.

Bottom line signature in person is better for all parties even with the inconvenience.

Maybe signature is better on a $2000 cpu.

But, not on $150 brake pads (after markup).

Doesn't insurance cover these issues, if so selected?

In general your local ups/fedex drivers are regulars,get to meet them once tell them your preferences,or as previously mentioned leave a signed note.

The credit card stipulation is made by your credit card company and is our of our control. Visa, Mastercard, AMEX, and Discover all have the same requirement. In order for us to accept credit cards, we must require signature confirmation. In 2005, we had over $3000.00 in stolen products from carriers leaving packages without confirmation. We quickly found out (as you asked) that shipping insurance does not cover loss from leaving a package on your doorstep with out a signature. This has forced us to adhere to your credit card company's requirements (as listed in our store policy here):

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/customer_service/#Shipping Policy

Because of this, we send out tracking numbers with all our shipments so you can coordinate the delivery or have it held at your local pick up station.

If you don't want to have signature confirmation, we can accept different payment methods (ie check) or you can contact your credit card company to add a secondary shipping address (like a work address) where someone will be able to receive it during the day. Although this requires us to manually verify the shipping address over the phone with your credit card company, we don't mind taking the extra steps for you. I'm sorry again for the inconvenience.

take care,
-- Chris

shipping to work place is the only best option here.

This is not a myth, my buddy's brother ordered 5 Iphone (back when it's hot), he only got 4. Good thing they have camera right in front of the door steps. Sure enough, the stupid driver delivered the boxes but took one with him back to the truck.

Usually we would worry about people stealing your stuff after the driver left, however, you would never know and there's no proof. (unless, like my buddy did, but i think they are just lucky.)

I do agree that's great pain trying to get the stuff you ordered. Sometime, they won't even let you change delivery address. It's frustrating.
Oh BTW, does everyone know there's different company with FEDEX ground??

Generally, FEDEX did very good job; but I could tell you the FEDEX ground is worse than any UPS expeiences i even had. So don't expect too much when you use that company.

Guys this is NOT A PROBLEM!!!!

The vendors give us a tracking #, and if it's UPS they call you with their dumb recorded message telling you that the package will be delivered the next day. All I do is get up that morning, and before I go to work I tape a little note on my front door that reads...

"Please leave my delivery on my front or back door step. This is a safe neighborhood. Please consider this my signature for the package.

Sincerly

Kyle ******

(and then I sign my name below it)"

I have never NOT had a package dropped off.

:wink:

When exoticar screwed up the listing for their 1:18 NSX and listed them for way cheaper than the model should have sold for I bought their entire inventory of NSX models. I had them listed on ebay and sold most of them and kept a few. I am talking A LOT of cars here. Anyways some POS bought one on ebay and pulled the whole "I never signed for it" BS. Ebay and paypal sided with him and I got screwed. No big deal as the models were only like 50 bucks each but it did piss me off. Now I do signature required on all out going packages.

I recently bought a set of wheels and tires from a Prime member. I requested him not to send them with a signature required because I live in a safe area and have never had any problems with the many deliveries I have received through the years.

They were shipped by FedEx and a signature was required and I contacted the seller and he called FedEx to advise them to disregard the signature required, they told him it was taken care of.

I left a note with my signature the day they were to arrive and I got a FedEx note on my front door that a signature was required. I left the same note the second day and same thing a slip indicating a signature required.

I then phoned FedEx and explained that I was notified by the seller that FedEx had taken care of the signature problem, which they hadn't. FedEx told me that the seller had to fax to the terminal, a letter signed by him that he would not require a signature.

To end the story I was able to get someone to come over to my house and sit for 7 hours before FedEx came the third time, to sign and receive the wheels and tires.

Back