• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Skip Barber vs. Jim Russell ???

My wife has surprised me by granting my wish to participate in a formal driving/racing school (yes, long over-due). I have limited experience with just over two dozen HPDE events under my belt, and now want an opportunity to learn from the pros.

The two choices in my area are:
1.) Skip Barber @ Laguna Seca
2.) Jim Russell @ Infineon

Which program will give me the maximum exposure to becoming a better driver on the racetrack? Thanks for your inputs,

Larry

When you say "formal driving/racing school" are you talking about the SCCA competition licensing school?

Each of these places offers many different types of schools.
What class would you be taking in each school?

Scott

I've taken three Skip Barber courses at Laguna Seca - the 3-day racing school, car control clinic, and high-performance 2-day driving school. I haven't taken any Jim Russell courses so I'm not in a position to compare these two schools, but I can provide a little direction on the Skip Barber schools.

If you're going to take just one Skip Barber course, by far the best one is the 3-day racing school in the open-wheeled formula cars. You get the most track time and will learn the most. While the other two schools were good (and fun), the 3-day racing school is the best (albeit the most expensive) one that you can take without prior Skip Barber experience.

BTW, Laguna Seca is a blast. Again, I can't compare it to Infineon but for sure you won't be disappointed in Laguna Seca.

Re: Is Jimmy running the old cars.....or just the new?

Hey Larry, that's fantastic.

I assume you're going first class, right to the 3 day racing school. From what I've heard, both the Skippy and Jimmy schools have historically been similar especially since the formula cars and class sizes were similar. But now, I don't think Jimmy is running the old dumbed down FM's but just the new hi-zoot F-3 cars. Way more expensive with much smaller classes.

I may be wrong but for where I think you're at, I'd say Skippy would be the more comfortable program. But call them both; I'm sure they'll be delighted to answer all your questions. Of course there's also Bondurant down in Phoenix as well. Newly rebuilt standard FM's.

I have another idea for you as well. Call me. seriously.

I'm registering for the 3-Day course with Skip Barber...$1000 discount before Dec.31st. Seems everyone, including Kip, speaks very highly of the program. It'll be a great platform to other advance training (if I get hooked).

It's long overdue, but it'll be the best modification money I've spent to date.

I'm registering for the 3-Day course with Skip Barber...$1000 discount before Dec.31st. Seems everyone, including Kip, speaks very highly of the program. It'll be a great platform to other advance training (if I get hooked).

It's long overdue, but it'll be the best modification money I've spent to date.

good choice, I've thoroughly enjoyed my time there and made a lot of great friends...
Another aspect of the 2 is the cars, while the JR cars are far superior, any crash damage will just kill you financially (CF monocoque). The SB cars are antiquated by comparison but are quite robust and much cheaper to fix (tube frame chassis w/ fiberglass bodies).

Back