• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Slightly dented oil pan

As I continue to try to make my "new" '91 as bullet-proof as possible with a long list of maintenance and OEM+ additions, I spent time reading the long threads about the oil pan gasket. Mine is leaking and I'm putting on exhaust headers, so why not address it now? My pan is slightly dented (see pic), which I gather can induce a leak with an out-of-plane lip. It doesn't appear I can find a replacement easily, and a baffled pan from Mita is more than I want to spend. I also worry that trying to hammer it flat once removed might only make things worse. Thoughts?Image(46).jpeg

When you remove the pan
It doesn't appear I can find a replacement easily, and a baffled pan from Mita is more than I want to spend. I also worry that trying to hammer it flat once removed might only make things worse. Thoughts?

I don't understand the " It doesn't appear I can find a replacement easily," comment. The OEM pan is still in production (part number 11200-PR7-A01. If it is not in stock with Acura USA, you can order it from Amayama.com for a lower price; but, the shipping cost might fix the cost savings. If it is back ordered with Acura USA, ordering it from Amayama will be faster. As long as there is not some holiday in effect I usually get stuff from Amayama in 5 - 10 calendar days.

If the dent is smooth you can press it out. Check the mounting lip for flatness after you do this. Personally I would leave it alone unless you are looking for cosmetic perfection. That said, the dent looks like the metal is creased a little bit. I had another car with a dented oil pan with a slight crease that I thought I would just press out. Turns out the pan had fractured at the crease and pressing out the crease opened up the fracture which precipitated a trip to a TIG welder. .

Thanks for the responses. @Old Guy I stand corrected--I was lazy and looked at an on-line retailer that said the pan was NLA, but a call to the local dealership indicates it is, actually. It's about $460, though, so I'll try @MotorMouth93 's suggestion to hammer it first; I've got nothing to lose.

Thanks for the responses. @Old Guy I stand corrected--I was lazy and looked at an on-line retailer that said the pan was NLA, but a call to the local dealership indicates it is, actually. It's about $460, though, so I'll try @MotorMouth93 's suggestion to hammer it first; I've got nothing to lose.
$230 from Amayama

Back